the_baron1
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

A quick question for Eric 'the baron' if he's monitoring this post - could you possibly ask your other half how she got to San Diego Zoo? I've had a look at the public transport options but they all look a bit convoluted. Thanks.

Only seven weeks to go. Hopefully the sharks will have moved away from Maui by then............ :-/

Sally

Hi Sally,

Will ask her when she gets home from work late tonight. Will reply with the answer tomorrow morning before I shoot off to work.

Eric.

the_baron1
(Member)
'the_baron1' wrote:

'sallyc' wrote:

A quick question for Eric 'the baron' if he's monitoring this post - could you possibly ask your other half how she got to San Diego Zoo? I've had a look at the public transport options but they all look a bit convoluted. Thanks.

Only seven weeks to go. Hopefully the sharks will have moved away from Maui by then............ :-/

Sally

Hi Sally,

Will ask her when she gets home from work late tonight. Will reply with the answer tomorrow morning before I shoot off to work.

Eric.

Good morning Sally,

As promised : - Julia says that 4 of them shared a taxi to San Deigo zoo from the hotel. The zoo was not to far away and the taxi was not expensive at all. They returned from the zoo by taxi also. Apparently there are plenty of taxis at the zoo's enterance.

You can also get a bus from outside of the hotel that will take you there, but Julia is not sure of the frequency and if you have to change on the journey.

Do you know if breakfasts are included in your package? She had breakfast at the hotel on the first morning but found it expensive. On the other days she eat at Dennys about five minutes walk up the road from the hotel. Cheap and very good breakfasts. She also had dinners at Dennys also.

Hope this helps Sally,

Regards

Eric

PS Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy yourself when you go.

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for all your help Eric. It looks like the bus would involve at least two changes so I think a taxi would be a much better idea.

Our meals aren't included so thanks for the recommendation of Denny's.

Sally

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Brenda wrote:

'mikew' wrote:

'sallyc' wrote:

Mandy - definitely not a stupid question. When we get our final paperwork (about two weeks before we go) there will be clarification of the plans. We may or may not have access to an airport lounge prior to our departure. This is simply a room within the departure terminal where you have comfy seating, nice toilets and free drinks and snacks, TV and newspapers. This is a nice way to meet everyone as we are all in a relatively small area. Usually access to this is allowed two hours or so before the flight leaves. If we don't have access to a lounge, it is a bit like pot luck if you find anyone else before you get to the departure gate. Some people prefer to stay anonymous and do their own thing, others display their Just You baggage labels in the hope of finding the others, or of course you can use this site to arrange to meet up.

The rep may or may not be travelling with us. If they are, they will often be found hanging around the check in desk. If they are not, there will be a JY rep to help you

check in.

Essentially, you check in yourself as and when you want and make your own way either to the lounge or to the departure gate when your flight is ready.

I'm quite happy to meet you at check in, or if you are coming later than I plan to, I will let you know where I plan on having breakfast. Terminal 1 isn't particularly big so it shouldn't be too difficult. I can also email you my mobile number nearer the time so we don't miss each other. (This also applies to anyone else who would like to meet up beforehand).

Please feel free to ask any other 'stupid' questions - I remember how nerve-wracking my first trip was and am happy to help.

Sally

Hi Sally, I'm booked on this holiday and plan to come down from Birmingham by coach, so I'll be arriving at Heathrow around 7.30am. I'd be very happy to meet you for breakfast - maybe you remember me from the South Africa trip last year?? Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the holiday and meeting you again together with my other travelling companions. See you soon, Mike

Hi Mike i'm looking forward to meeting everyone too. Have you been on many JY trips? Bren

Hi Bren, This will be my 7th singles holiday and 3rd with Just You. I did the Just You tour to South Africa last year (with sallyc !) and the USA National Parks trip including Mount Rushmore and Little Big Horn in May-June this year. Both were brilliant holidays although the South African route has changed a little since I went on that trip. The National Parks holiday was just amazing - simply unforgettable. This is a great way to travel and meet new people, and it's allowed me to see and do things I never thought I would. Look forward to meeting you in October. Cheers, Mike

Ariya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I agree that taking a taxi to the zoo would probably be the best idea. According to google maps its only a 10-15 mins drive but almost an hour by bus!. Also since I think there's already a few of us on here who've said they're interested in going (and probably others not on the forum too) it should be pretty cheap 🙂

I think for breakfasts I'll probably just take some breakfast bars with me, as long as its allowed, I know some countries are really strict with bringing food into them but I think dry goods are ok to the USA. Need to check up on it. Getting really excited now as I start to think what to pack, these last few months are going by so fast for me!

Brenda K
(Member)
'Mandy wrote:

Hi everyone yes only seven weeks to go. I have a 1 week holiday from 7th Sep so that week I will get my self all organized and get everything I need. Probably will pack then unpack as you do.

Hi Sally saw that on the news about the sharks lets hope they are not there when we go as I would like to go in the water.

mandy

Hi Mandy

I'm sure I will pack and unpack at least once, then forget something, forgot my swimming cossie one year, I remembered when we were halfway to the airport, I did go home to get it though, because of course beach resorts wouldn't have any of those!!

Very excited not long now :D

Bren x

Brenda K
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Hi Bren

Itchy feet? Itchy everything! I'm starting to struggle - particularly with my colleagues and friends going away at the moment. I'm hoping that once we get to September time will pass a bit quicker.

Mandy - I was hoping to snorkel as well, the general advice seems to be to stay out of the water at dawn and dusk and to go with other people so I think if we follow those rules we should be okay. The odds are definitely in our favour.

As regards packing - I always bring far too much. It always amazes me how much the non clothing items weigh. The shoes, toiletries, chargers etc seem to fill up the case before any clothes have gone in!

Sally

Hi Sally

Lol I thought you might be 🙂 Really not long to go now though I'm so excited!!!

I think the baby panda has gone into hiding, I've tried to look on the webcam but nothing, well that's not true I did get to see the rear of a panda, not the best view. Baby pandas obviously don't work on my time schedule :)

Bren x

Brenda K
(Member)
'mikew' wrote:

'Brenda wrote:

'mikew' wrote:

'sallyc' wrote:

Mandy - definitely not a stupid question. When we get our final paperwork (about two weeks before we go) there will be clarification of the plans. We may or may not have access to an airport lounge prior to our departure. This is simply a room within the departure terminal where you have comfy seating, nice toilets and free drinks and snacks, TV and newspapers. This is a nice way to meet everyone as we are all in a relatively small area. Usually access to this is allowed two hours or so before the flight leaves. If we don't have access to a lounge, it is a bit like pot luck if you find anyone else before you get to the departure gate. Some people prefer to stay anonymous and do their own thing, others display their Just You baggage labels in the hope of finding the others, or of course you can use this site to arrange to meet up.

The rep may or may not be travelling with us. If they are, they will often be found hanging around the check in desk. If they are not, there will be a JY rep to help you

check in.

Essentially, you check in yourself as and when you want and make your own way either to the lounge or to the departure gate when your flight is ready.

I'm quite happy to meet you at check in, or if you are coming later than I plan to, I will let you know where I plan on having breakfast. Terminal 1 isn't particularly big so it shouldn't be too difficult. I can also email you my mobile number nearer the time so we don't miss each other. (This also applies to anyone else who would like to meet up beforehand).

Please feel free to ask any other 'stupid' questions - I remember how nerve-wracking my first trip was and am happy to help.

Sally

Hi Sally, I'm booked on this holiday and plan to come down from Birmingham by coach, so I'll be arriving at Heathrow around 7.30am. I'd be very happy to meet you for breakfast - maybe you remember me from the South Africa trip last year?? Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the holiday and meeting you again together with my other travelling companions. See you soon, Mike

Hi Mike i'm looking forward to meeting everyone too. Have you been on many JY trips? Bren

Hi Bren, This will be my 7th singles holiday and 3rd with Just You. I did the Just You tour to South Africa last year (with sallyc !) and the USA National Parks trip including Mount Rushmore and Little Big Horn in May-June this year. Both were brilliant holidays although the South African route has changed a little since I went on that trip. The National Parks holiday was just amazing - simply unforgettable. This is a great way to travel and meet new people, and it's allowed me to see and do things I never thought I would. Look forward to meeting you in October. Cheers, Mike

Hi Mike

I think The National Parks holiday was one I was looking at but went for Hawaii instead - couple of people at work have been and highly recommended going. Good to know it was a fab trip though, one to keep in mind for the future or for next time, thanks.

This is my first so all new to this, but so looking forward to going. Yep see you in October :thumbup:

Bren

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
I was planning on doing the National Parks trip this year as well until Hawaii popped up! I was then planning on doing it next year but a rival firm has brought in an Ecuador and Galapagos Islands tour so I guess the Parks will have to be 2015 now!

Sally

Brenda K
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

I was planning on doing the National Parks trip this year as well until Hawaii popped up! I was then planning on doing it next year but a rival firm has brought in an Ecuador and Galapagos Islands tour so I guess the Parks will have to be 2015 now!

Sally

Hi Sally wow Ecuador and Galapagos sounds amazing! So many incredible places to see, be nice to be able to give up work and just travel :cool:

Another week nearer to hawaii though :thumbup: I seem to be gathering quite a collection of things to take. I'll have to check the weight allowance!

Bren x

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bren

I was looking at the luggage allowance over the weekend. United is 23kg but the problem is that we don't know which airline we are flying from Oahu to Maui with to find out what their allowance is. I guess we may have to wait until we get our final paperwork. Five weeks today we'll be on our way!

Sally

Brenda K
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Hi Bren

I was looking at the luggage allowance over the weekend. United is 23kg but the problem is that we don't know which airline we are flying from Oahu to Maui with to find out what their allowance is. I guess we may have to wait until we get our final paperwork. Five weeks today we'll be on our way!

Sally

Hello Sally

Ok will have to wait till then, have to say didn't even think of the flight in the middle - thanks for that.

And 5 weeks today we could be by a pool or at the zoo or...oh in the spa at the hotel :thumbup: thats if we're even there yet by now, have to get my head around the time difference. Take it got you letter re the hotel change? Looks like a nice hotel though.

Bren

the_baron1
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Hi Bren

Sally

Hi Sally,

Julia flew from Oahu to Maui with Hawaiian Airlines. The baggage allowance was the same as the Domestic and International allowance. The flying time is only 20 minutes between Islands.

The Travelsphere group had to pay 18 USD each for some reason for baggage to Hawaiian Airlines at check in. Travelsphere have refunded that extra charge now, but I think this has been all sorted for you by JY so this will not happen.

Eric

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Eric, after a bit of Internet research I've found that although Julia is correct saying that the flights are with United, it's one of those code share deals where we will fly either with Hawaiian or Island Air, depending on the flight time. Island Air allowance is 22kgs and Hawaiian is 23kgs so I will take 23kgs as a rule of thumb until the final paperwork arrives. I always end up taking the whole allowance - I find the suitcase is full before I put any clothes in - the shoes, toiletries, chargers, etc take up so much room!

Bren, yes I got the letter regarding the hotel change. The new one looks fine, but then so did the other one! I've seen a few negative reviews about the Oahu hotel which appears to be due to be demolished next year, but I do try not to pay too much attention to the reviews and trust that JY wouldn't put us in a terrible place.

Brenda K
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Thanks Eric, after a bit of Internet research I've found that although Julia is correct saying that the flights are with United, it's one of those code share deals where we will fly either with Hawaiian or Island Air, depending on the flight time. Island Air allowance is 22kgs and Hawaiian is 23kgs so I will take 23kgs as a rule of thumb until the final paperwork arrives. I always end up taking the whole allowance - I find the suitcase is full before I put any clothes in - the shoes, toiletries, chargers, etc take up so much room!

Bren, yes I got the letter regarding the hotel change. The new one looks fine, but then so did the other one! I've seen a few negative reviews about the Oahu hotel which appears to be due to be demolished next year, but I do try not to pay too much attention to the reviews and trust that JY wouldn't put us in a terrible place.

Hi Sally

Yes I'm sure you're right. And anyway you can always find a negative review, even of the very best hotels.

Another week down, I so need a holiday it can't get here quickly enough! :D

Bren x

TimH
  • (Member)
(Member)
only 4 weeks now 🙂
sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
.... and counting!
Brenda K
(Member)
Hi Sally, Mike

Only 3 weeks now, well yes and a couple of days but who's counting...oh yes we are :thumbup:

Im fairly surprised I haven't got my suitcase out yet, think im being quite restrained. Only outwardly though as inside my head there's thoughts of having to panic shop the weekend before we go! Note to self get suitcase out! :cool:

Can't wait to meet you both, and of course everyone else thats going. I guess final paperwork should be arriving soon :D

Sorry im just rambling here a bit, I want to start getting to know people but until you do get to know people it's hard to know what to say! See more rambling :)

Bren x

Mandy G
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everyone good morning

OMG only 3 weeks and we will all be at the airport waiting for our holiday to start, really looking forward to seeing Hawaii. The next 3 weeks is going to really quickly.

Is anybody going to take a very light rain coat with them just wondering to pack one or not.

Mandy

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi guys

My suitcase has been out for about a month already, although I haven't done anything else with it! Next weekend I'm going to get myself sorted with a packing list and order my dollars. I'm going to take a Pac-a-mac as well as a fleece - I would always rather have them and not need it than be without. We should be getting our final documents / tickets etc this week which will make it seem closer. We can also then make arrangements to meet up as we will know whether we have access to a lounge or not.

I am trying hard not to bore friends, colleagues and family with Hawaii talk so thank goodness you guys are on here to help me get my fix!

Sally