LucyL
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I've just logged onto this website as I find myself newly single. Never been on holiday alone before and am a little daunted. Can anyone recommend a good holiday to begin my new found freedom with?

Thanks for any advice

lucyL

Winnie
  • (Member)
(Member)
Have just come back from a Nile cruise which I recommend - wonderful. Any holiday would be OK for you as everyone is so friendly. It was my first with Just You.
Cathie
  • (Member)
(Member)
I have no idea about good holidays, because I too have just signed onto this site. Having just become single myself, I am a bit nervous about how to go about this single holdiay busines too. Let us hope we both find our way to pastures new and exciting. So if you get any recommendations, please share them with me.

Cathie

patsyb
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Lucy,

Don't worry!! I was widowed just over two years ago and since then I've been on 3 JY holidays and looking forward to my 4th in January. Everyone on your holiday will be on their own for various reasons and they are all anxious to make friends. I've been to Italy, Greece and America they were all really enjoyable especially the Parks and Canyons and I'm going to Florida & Bahamas cruise in January. Wherever you go you'll feel welcome and 'one of the gang'. Book it - you'll love it!!!

Regards,

Pat

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
As per previouse replys on this subject, pick a holiday that you want/dreamed of going on and JUST book it. You will have a great time,and meet some new friends... that would be my tip for you. I have done short and long haul trips and enjoyed them all!

Cindy Dinsmore

SarahH
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Lucy,

I am in the same situation as you. I used to really enjoy travelling and holidaying with my partner. Now I am single and I am a little apprehensive and nervous about doing it all on my own! I still want to see so much of the world and don't want to miss out on travelling and all the wonderful new experiences just because I am on my own. I am very excited by the holidays advertised on this site, and am contemplating the trip to China in December, and then several more next year (I really want to go to India although I had planned to go there with my ex so I will be a little sad to see the Taj Mahal without him there). I hope that where-ever you choose to go, you have a wonderful time and that both of us find the strength and independence that perhaps we don't realise we already have inside us! 🙂

Cathie
  • (Member)
(Member)
Well Lucy,

I have done it, no idea how or maybe even why - but I bit the bullet this morning and booked 8 days in Sicily in June next year. Peter and I had never been to Sicily, so I thought going there might be easier than back to somewhere we had been together.

Good luck in finding your break.

jswdov
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi...I am a singlie as well and I have just bit the bullet and booked for America next May 18th.....I hope there are alot like me, singlies, who are going......

cj
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi, I'm another singlie, have been for over 12 months and I feel ready to book my first singles holiday. I love travel and am lucky to have friends who live abroad but now want to explore and enjoy new experiences. I am hoping to book Parks and Canyons next March. Can anyone tell me about this trip?

CJ (Carole)

Cheryl- your editor
(Member)
Hi Carol,

You are right, it will be cold. The average temperatures in January are:

Beijing -4 degrees C

Chengde -10/12 degrees C

Xian 0 degrees C

And if you choose to visit Harbin, it will be the coldest at -19 degrees C!

It will make a refreshing change from visiting hot places on holiday and as an added bonus January is the month with the least rainfall...a break from England! Apparently, if you start to get really cold, they sell traditional thick cotton army coats (Jun da yi) for less than 100 yuan, so keep a look out for those...would also be a great souvenir.

Regarding being a vegetarian, this will not be a problem. As in Britain and anywhere else you might visit, China will accommodate this. Just speak to your tour manager when you get there and I am sure he/she will be happy to advise any special requirements. But please dont worry, you may not be the only one.

You must be getting excited now, January is not far away. Soon it will be xmas and then China...it will fly by!

If I can help you with any other information, please let me know.

Warm wishes (you may need them in that weather!)

Cheryl, your editor

lizacheeseman
(Member)
I have found it really interesting reading these messages. I joined the site today after receiving the brochure this week. I too am apprehensive about travelling alone after seeing so much of the world with my late husband. But I am overwelmed by just how many people are in the same or similar situations. The encouragement of the members on this site make it easier to look at booking a trip.

Has any been on the Postcards from Provence holiday? Any information would be greatly received.

hols4alison
(Member)
I was widowed 4 years ago and found JY by chance on the internet. I booked my first holiday without even thinking about it, but when it came to going I was so scared I nearly did not leave my house. I did, I now have five holidays with JY under my belt. I have never looked back. I can thoroughly recommend these hoidays to everyone, all the groups I have travelled with have been great and our Tour Managers lovely. I am glad I took the first step and so will you be

Alison

Cathie
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for that Alison, still feeling a tad scared about the whole thing. Have even managed to work out the ' drop out without losing any more money' date.

Having not been on hols without him (Peter) for the last 37yrs, it is a bit daunting. Not the practical stuff, good at that, but the whole idea of being a 'single' again after all this time.

It was nice to read your comments about how friendly the other travellers were. Onward and Upward then - at least for this moment.

Rgds,

Cathie