Purpleroni
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have never travelled solo before, I am interested in going to Malta in September and would welcome any tips and advice.
SueStricks
(Member)
Hi! Just noticed your post and thought I would do a quick reply- I’ve been travelling solo for about 10years now- I’ve been on about a dozen JY tours and also travelled with a few other companies- I haven’t been to Malta but I’ve been on mostly long haul but also a number of short haul trips.

My advice is go for it- you will be unsure/ nervous/ a bit anxious taking the first step- but on a JY holiday everyone is travelling solo, for a variety of reasons, and you very quickly lose most anxiety and get chatting at airports- you will recognise others in your group by the JY luggage labels! You will always tend to find some people in the group that you get along with pretty well - of course you won’t be instant best mates with everyone and after a day or so you will drift towards those you have more communality with in terms of conversation-there are generally varied age ranges and tastes within a group, and the trips are generally fully packed itineraries, good hotels and beautiful locations, so by the time you start to think about it all it’s time to go home!.

I always take a book/ I pad( if you do get chance to do any reading!), I also make sure I take a small writing pad and pen because you often get told a lot of info at the beginning of the tour re timings etc- for me its easier to jot that down! and don’t get too hung up about dress codes- ie don’t worry about what others choose to wear- or take too much!in my experience being comfortable and being yourself aids any anxiety!

For some full on tours an organised suitcase( ie separate plastic bags or packing cubes in your suitase) is a bonus if you are moving from hotel to hotel.

Most people go back again and again on JY holidays- so you will be in good company! The Tour managers are usually great-well organised and accessible for any questions/ concerns. JY tends to “look after”people more than other companies-doesn’t suit everyone but means you can sit back, relax and enjoy the tour holiday knowing that the organisation is being done for you- and of course there is always time for you to have a bit of down time for yourself if you want/ need some space away from the group.

Please don’t hesitate to shout if you want to ask any more- I would say go for it!, and best wishes

Sue

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
As Sue has said go for it...

I have been travelling with JY since 2006 and have done approx 12 tours, I have travelled the world with JY and seen so many things, and met some great travel buddies along the way..

I have been to Malta many years ago on a family holiday, I am sure you will have fun.

There usually are more ladies than men in the groups, age range can be anything from 20’s - 90’s, very safe way to travel, you might not get on with everyone but hey that’s life, at the end of the day it’s only 7-14-20 days out of your life, tour managers vary I have had brilliant, mediocre and poor...but we all have our own opinion and expectations.

JY do try Seat rotations on the coaches, which I do not like so sorry I am a rebel and won’t engage with that. I do agree the same people cannot be allowed to HOG the front seats.

I tend to go smart/casual but comfort is a must as are comfy shoes.

Really look at what is offered on the tour, if meals are not included factor that into your spending money, allow for the fact the TM might have a few trips/excursions to offer when you get there, I tend to go for full on tours so I am busy all day every day, so make sure you get what you want from your days away, or if there is free time and you don’t want to sit and watch the world go by have a look to see if you can do anything independently.

So what have you got to loose give it a go, all of us have made the first journey with JY and we keep coming back for more!

Any other questions just ask.

Cindy