RayT
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
In response to a request, herewith my thoughts on this tour. 

The flight was as good as a 10hour flight can be with a 45 min. transfer to hotel. We were met by our American TM, Kim, a lovely lady with long experience of the area who kept things moving along with great good humour. We were also lucky with Dan our driver for the two weeks.

The next day was especially interesting for film buffs with stars and handprints on  the pavements etc. with an optional 5 hours in Universal Studios after lunch in a farmers’ market. Those who went found the studios interesting. The rest of us went to recce the choice of bars and restaurants on San Fransisco Boulevarde within a 10min. stroll from the hotel for the evening.

Next day we set off for Santa Monica 45 mins. away for a short walk to the pier and coffee time. It was very pleasant, then off to San Diego. We visited the waterfront for lunch with a chance to see the aircraft carrier USS Midway moored up as a museum. A short city tour then to the hotel to freshen up for a 3 hour cruise round the bay with three course meal. The boat was large and totally enclosed, so only indoor clothing required.

On Sunday, we drove across the desert to Scottsdale (8 hours with 3 stops) to a very nice hotel. The scenery was arid and rocky with occasional irrigated crop areas. In the evening was the optional Rustlers’ Roost steakhouse dinner with music - well worth going.

On Monday, a two hour drive to Sedona in red rock country - a pleasant little town devoted to tourism. I did the off road jeep trip - interesting with an amusing driver, but extremely bumpy - if you have a bad back, perhaps not for you! A further lovely one hour drive through Oak Tree canyon brought us to Flagstaff.

Tuesday was a full day out to Bright Angel Lodge area at the Grand Canyon. Kim decided on a 7.30 start  to maximise our time at the canyon, and we got over 5 hours there. Those opting to fly over the canyon were given a time to be back at the lodge to transfer to the airport. Those not flying had longer to walk the rim and enjoy the other facilities at the lodge. Kim recommended taking the free shuttle bus to a point on the rim and walking back. As a guide, walking from Mohave point took about 1 hour 40 mins., from Hopi, about one hour.

On Wednesday it was off to Vegas where we could take the night tour from 7-10pm. Worth doing as an introduction to the Strip and Vegas generally. It is an off the scale city!

Thursday was a free day and seven of us did the Tribal Spirit six hour trip into the Grand Canyon. This involved an early fixed wing flight over the Hoover Dam to the canyon with ample time to visit Eagle and Guano points on the shuttle bus before returning to the airport at the appointed time. Both worth visiting for dramatic views. The snack facilities at Guano didn’t open until just before we had to leave, so maybe take something with you as well as water.It is essential to take your passport on this excursion to check in at Vegas.

Back at the airport we met our helicopter pilot, and set off for the best bit - a short plunge 3500 feet down to the Colorado river, and about 15-20mins. to just stand in awe at our surroundings before the short return flight by a different route. We all agreed it was worth every penny for a once in a lifetime experience. If your finances can stand it, go for it - sell your granny!

Return to Vegas about 12 pm with the rest of the day free to explore.

Friday was the second long driving day - 8 hours across the Mohave desert to Selma with a two hour lunch break at a factory outlet for the shopaholics. Pleasant hotel with pub next door for meals.

Saturday was a whole day out to Yosemite NP. Wonderful scenery then a one hour drive to the very small town of Mariposa with lots of restaurant choices.

Sunday we transferred to Sausalito for lunch, then over the Golden Gate into San Fransisco and our hotel on Fishermans’ Wharf with its bars and restaurants. You won’t starve on this tour.

Next day was free with optional 90 minute boat trip round the Rock (Alcatraz), and under the Golden Gate. A flight was also available and enjoyed by those who took it. In the evening was a dinner and trip to see the light show on the bridge.

Tuesday was a transfer to Monterey with its interesting aquarium. It is a quaint town with lots of restaurants on Fishermans’ Wharf a few minutes walk from the hotel.

Next day to Santa Barbara with a short stop in Carmel for coffee and a walk to the beach or shopping in the boutiques. Lunch was in a very nice place on the beach in San Simeon. I can recommend Chuck’s bar and grill a few minutes from the hotel for a final steak.

The final day was a short drive to LAX (three and a half hours with stop at a historic house and garden).

I should mention we had lovely warm sunny weather on this tour, but from San Fransisco onwards there was a chilly wind, so jacket or jumper was required. May be cooler in September.

All in all, this is an excellent tour with lots of interesting optionals as well as included content. If you get Kim as TM you have hit the jackpot!   I’ll try and answer any queries.

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi RayT,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences on this tour. I'm delighted that you had an enjoyable visit to the States.

Julia

Jellifer
(Member)
Hi RayT,

Great review, many thanks for taking the time to write it!

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Ray,

Thanks for leaving this comprehensive review, I have done many tours, was the TM Kim Valence ? If so she was a TM on a Florida tour I did,and is very good at her job.

This sounds like a nice full on tours with lots to see and do, glad you have had a good time.

Cindy

SylviaJ
(Member)
Thanks Ray.  This is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm currently thinking of doing Universal Studios, Night time in Las Vegas, Rustlers Rooste, San Francisco escape Alcatraz cruise, SF evening and dinner, SF helicopter, Sedona red rocks jeep, Tribal Spirit and LV night flight.  

YOLO - You only live once!

I'll come back to you if needed.

Regards

Sylvia

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ray, 

Thanks for this great review - I did its predecessor a few years back (America's Golden West) but would certain consider doing this tour, as the itinerary is even better!

Glad you enjoyed it.  Where are you off to next?

All the best,

Bob

00Susanna00
(Member)
Hi Ray,

Thank you for your comprehensive review - it was a very good memory jogger, as I really should have taken notes.....I think I may print it out, so that I can put my photos into order!!!

Sue

RayT
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Cindy,

I didn’t catch Kim’s second name, but she was lovely and very experienced - probably the same lady.

Hi Sylvia,

You are going to have a great time on your optionals. One point; chopper flights are limited in number, there are only so many seats a day. Book and pay early in sterling to be at the top of the list and not disappointed.

Hi Bob,

Next is Sri Lanka in November, after that I’m not sure. I met Sigmund (Chile) on this trip, so nice to see him again. Maybe we’ll bump into each other again somewhere.

Ray

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you Ray for a brilliant review. Certainly made me think about this trip, not really had any thoughts about this before.

Jan

RUSSELL
(Member)
Hi Ray. Thank you for such a comprehensive review of your western wonders trip.It brings back fabulous memories from last year when I did same trip. I could almost echo and repeat everything you have said.I met some great people, some I still see , which is fabulous. Sure its Kim Valencia you are talking about as TM. I was so lucky to have Kim on my first two US trips, such a force of nature and a very special person. Enjoy your future travels.

Russell Kerfoot

RUSSELL
(Member)
'RayT' wrote:

In response to a request, herewith my thoughts on this tour. 

The flight was as good as a 10hour flight can be with a 45 min. transfer to hotel. We were met by our American TM, Kim, a lovely lady with long experience of the area who kept things moving along with great good humour. We were also lucky with Dan our driver for the two weeks.

The next day was especially interesting for film buffs with stars and handprints on  the pavements etc. with an optional 5 hours in Universal Studios after lunch in a farmers’ market. Those who went found the studios interesting. The rest of us went to recce the choice of bars and restaurants on San Fransisco Boulevarde within a 10min. stroll from the hotel for the evening.

Next day we set off for Santa Monica 45 mins. away for a short walk to the pier and coffee time. It was very pleasant, then off to San Diego. We visited the waterfront for lunch with a chance to see the aircraft carrier USS Midway moored up as a museum. A short city tour then to the hotel to freshen up for a 3 hour cruise round the bay with three course meal. The boat was large and totally enclosed, so only indoor clothing required.

On Sunday, we drove across the desert to Scottsdale (8 hours with 3 stops) to a very nice hotel. The scenery was arid and rocky with occasional irrigated crop areas. In the evening was the optional Rustlers’ Roost steakhouse dinner with music - well worth going.

On Monday, a two hour drive to Sedona in red rock country - a pleasant little town devoted to tourism. I did the off road jeep trip - interesting with an amusing driver, but extremely bumpy - if you have a bad back, perhaps not for you! A further lovely one hour drive through Oak Tree canyon brought us to Flagstaff.

Tuesday was a full day out to Bright Angel Lodge area at the Grand Canyon. Kim decided on a 7.30 start  to maximise our time at the canyon, and we got over 5 hours there. Those opting to fly over the canyon were given a time to be back at the lodge to transfer to the airport. Those not flying had longer to walk the rim and enjoy the other facilities at the lodge. Kim recommended taking the free shuttle bus to a point on the rim and walking back. As a guide, walking from Mohave point took about 1 hour 40 mins., from Hopi, about one hour.

On Wednesday it was off to Vegas where we could take the night tour from 7-10pm. Worth doing as an introduction to the Strip and Vegas generally. It is an off the scale city!

Thursday was a free day and seven of us did the Tribal Spirit six hour trip into the Grand Canyon. This involved an early fixed wing flight over the Hoover Dam to the canyon with ample time to visit Eagle and Guano points on the shuttle bus before returning to the airport at the appointed time. Both worth visiting for dramatic views. The snack facilities at Guano didn’t open until just before we had to leave, so maybe take something with you as well as water.It is essential to take your passport on this excursion to check in at Vegas.

Back at the airport we met our helicopter pilot, and set off for the best bit - a short plunge 3500 feet down to the Colorado river, and about 15-20mins. to just stand in awe at our surroundings before the short return flight by a different route. We all agreed it was worth every penny for a once in a lifetime experience. If your finances can stand it, go for it - sell your granny!

Return to Vegas about 12 pm with the rest of the day free to explore.

Friday was the second long driving day - 8 hours across the Mohave desert to Selma with a two hour lunch break at a factory outlet for the shopaholics. Pleasant hotel with pub next door for meals.

Saturday was a whole day out to Yosemite NP. Wonderful scenery then a one hour drive to the very small town of Mariposa with lots of restaurant choices.

Sunday we transferred to Sausalito for lunch, then over the Golden Gate into San Fransisco and our hotel on Fishermans’ Wharf with its bars and restaurants. You won’t starve on this tour.

Next day was free with optional 90 minute boat trip round the Rock (Alcatraz), and under the Golden Gate. A flight was also available and enjoyed by those who took it. In the evening was a dinner and trip to see the light show on the bridge.

Tuesday was a transfer to Monterey with its interesting aquarium. It is a quaint town with lots of restaurants on Fishermans’ Wharf a few minutes walk from the hotel.

Next day to Santa Barbara with a short stop in Carmel for coffee and a walk to the beach or shopping in the boutiques. Lunch was in a very nice place on the beach in San Simeon. I can recommend Chuck’s bar and grill a few minutes from the hotel for a final steak.

The final day was a short drive to LAX (three and a half hours with stop at a historic house and garden).

I should mention we had lovely warm sunny weather on this tour, but from San Fransisco onwards there was a chilly wind, so jacket or jumper was required. May be cooler in September.

All in all, this is an excellent tour with lots of interesting optionals as well as included content. If you get Kim as TM you have hit the jackpot!   I’ll try and answer any queries.

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi All

Sadly, we do not currently have Kim earmarked as TM on our trip.

Regards

Sylvia

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Vickie and Ray

I'm on this trip on 20 September and have booked the many excursions I'm interested in!

However, the Tribal Spirit is only bookable through TM or Local Guide on arrival.

The price is quoted as £356..

Vickie - please advise how we pay for this? Carrying lots of £ on a foreign trip is not really advisable..

Ray - did you pay for this excursion in £, $ or credit/debit card?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Sylvia

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Sylvia,

You can pay by card if you would prefer not to carry the cash - the TM will be able to take card payment.

Thanks,

Vickie

SylviaJ
(Member)
'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Sylvia,

You can pay by card if you would prefer not to carry the cash - the TM will be able to take card payment.

Thanks,

Vickie

Hi Vickie

Thanks very much.  I'll print this advice off and take it with me in case TM reneges on offer!

Regards

Sylvia

RayT
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'SylviaJ' wrote:

'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks,

Vickie

Hi Sylvia,

I paid in advance in UK, but then the TM could not take cards. It sounds from Vickie the system has changed, and you can now pay by card there, so all should be well. Please let us know how you enjoy the day - I thought it was great.

Ray

Hi Vickie

Thanks very much.  I'll print this advice off and take it with me in case TM reneges on offer!

Regards

Sylvia

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Vickie and Ray

The TM told us we could not pay for this trip by card. When I produced Vickie's email response and two other travellers had similar evidence, the TM contacted JYHQ and we were permitted to pay JYHQ direct using credit card. A bit of a nonsense if there is a facility for customers to pay at TM using credit card but the TM refuses to use it.

Regards

Sylvia

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Sylvia,

I'm sorry to hear this happened as I was assured that Tour Managers have a card payment facility. I will pass this to our Tour Manager team so they are aware.

Apologies for the inconvenience and I hope you had a great trip overall.

Many thanks,

Vickie

stu151
(Member)
Vickie

Can you clarify if there are additional charges for paying by credit card please.

In the past (not with JY), i've been charged extra in this situation because the payment is directly to the foreign tour company. I believe that if you're paying a UK company, extra charges aren't legal (thus if you paid JY this would be a payment to a UK company), but if you pay the company actually running the add on it would be allowed (because they are a company based in the foreign country).

Thanks.

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Stu,

You will not be charged by Just You for a credit card payment, but yes if you booked via a non-UK website you may be charged.

Thanks,

Vickie