Valonlyval
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Everyone, 

Best wishes

My first trip is all of a sudden looming and I was just wondering if there are any top tips. 

My usual problem , when going on any holiday, is actually packing. I always seem to pack too much of the wrong thing. 

I’ve bought some of the packing pods that seem to be the rage at the moment though. 

Another question - I’ve booked the extra trip of Grand Canyon - the plane, helicopter, boat and glass walk out. Is it best to book other trips now or wait until we’re there?  

Eeek, it’s only four weeks, four days until we go!!!!

Warmest wishes

Valerie

00Susanna00
(Member)
'Valonlyval' wrote:

Hello Everyone, 

Best wishes

My first trip is all of a sudden looming and I was just wondering if there are any top tips. 

My usual problem , when going on any holiday, is actually packing. I always seem to pack too much of the wrong thing. 

I’ve bought some of the packing pods that seem to be the rage at the moment though. 

Another question - I’ve booked the extra trip of Grand Canyon - the plane, helicopter, boat and glass walk out. Is it best to book other trips now or wait until we’re there?  

Eeek, it’s only four weeks, four days until we go!!!!

Warmest wishes

Valerie

Hi Valerie,

I am also on this trip! Sorry I can’t give you any advice on packing - I always take too much as well!!!

I haven’t booked my trips yet; must do it soon. Actually, I noticed that the trip you mention isn’t now showing on the website, so maybe it’s fully booked? I hope I haven’t ‘missed the boat’ (and the plane, helicopter, etc.....)!

As regards the other trips, I suppose it depends on whether you are absolutely sure you want to go on them. I am planning on booking my excursions before I go, so I don’t need to take so many USD. 

Sue

RayT
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Valonlyval' wrote:

Hello Everyone, 

Best wishes

Eeek, it’s only four weeks, four days until we go!!!

Valerie

Hi Valerie,

Dress in America is usually pretty informal, so I shouldn't go too overboard - just comfortable casual. It will be quite warm too so you won't need much. 

I am booked on the canyon descent flight which has recently been changed very slightly - no boat on the river now, but otherwise similar. Very much a highlight I think. One advantage of booking optionals in advance, apart from not having to carry the dollars, is it's a free excursion when it happens and you have forgotten how much it cost!  I have booked a lot of them on this trip, and if you know you want to do it, book it before is my advice.

Look forward to meeting everyone at Heathrow

Ray

Jenilell
(Member)
Hi Valerie,

I’m on this trip too and just looking at the optional excursions as I shall probably book a few before I go where I’m really sure, including some of the meals as I’ve got to eat somewhere!

Travel light - I imagine it’s pretty informal and I go for the mix and match option and easy care as you’ll be living out of your suitcase.

Looking forward to meeting everyone at Heathrow, it’s coming round really quickly.

Jenny

Jenilell
(Member)
Hi!

Any idea how many of us in the group?

Jenny

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Jenny,

There are 28 people booked on so far.

Thanks,

Vickie

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi All

As others have said, informal is the way in USA. As long as you dress in layers, you will be fine. And ladies, don't bother taking too many pairs of shoes!

I'm looking at this trip for later on in the year, so please consider writing a review on your return.

Have a super time.

Sylvia

Jenilell
(Member)
'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Jenny,

There are 28 people booked on so far.

Thanks,

Vickie

That’s a nice number.  I’m really disappointed the Grand Canyon trip has changed although I appreciate why, I take it there is no chance of landing in the Canyon or going on the sky walk as I was really excited about that.

Jenny

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Jenny,

Sorry to hear that. I can certainly pass this to the team for feedback and come back to you.

Thanks,

Vickie

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Jenny,

I've spoken to our product team and they've advised that there is a trip where you land in the Grand Canyon and do the Skywalk, which is called called Tribal Spirit. This was originally available to pre-book through us, but now due to demand and limited availability, you can only book it while on holiday. If it's something you're interested in doing, you can speak to your TM when you arrive and they can book it for you.

If you'd like more details about this trip, have a look on the Maverick Helicopters website, which is who we go with: www.maverickhelicopter.com/Grand-Canyon-from-Las-Vegas-Tour.aspx

I hope that's helpful.

Thanks,

Vickie

Jenilell
(Member)
'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Jenny,

Sorry to hear that. I can certainly pass this to the team for feedback and come back to you.

Thanks,

Vickie

Hi Vickie,

When my final documents arrived less than 24 hours after telephoning to book some excursions I now see there is a second flight option to the Canyon which ticks more of my boxes, but can only be booked on the tour.  Does this clash with what I have now booked or is it a viable alternative?

Jenny

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Jenny,

Sorry if you didn't spot my second reply above, I checked with the team and they confirmed there is a trip you can do:

I've spoken to our product team and they've advised that there is a trip where you land in the Grand Canyon and do the Skywalk, which is called called Tribal Spirit. This was originally available to pre-book through us, but now due to demand and limited availability, you can only book it while on holiday. If it's something you're interested in doing, you can speak to your TM when you arrive and they can book it for you.

http://www.maverickhelicopter.com/tour-tribalspirit-grandcanyonwest.aspx 

I hope that's helpful.

Thanks,

Vickie

Jenilell
(Member)
Thanks Vickie,

That’s good news, but if I am able to doTribal Spirit will I forfeit the payment I have already made for the flight over the Grand Canyon or is it on a different day? It’s not clear from the itinerary.

Jenny

00Susanna00
(Member)
'Jenilell' wrote:

'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Jenny,

Thanks,

Vickie

Hi Vickie,

When my final documents arrived less than 24 hours after telephoning to book some excursions I now see there is a second flight option to the Canyon which ticks more of my boxes, but can only be booked on the tour.  Does this clash with what I have now booked or is it a viable alternative?

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Did you book the Canyon Spirit helicopter tour, or perhaps the fixed wing tour which were 30 or 45 minutes? If so, I believe that these take place on the day we travel out from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon. I have booked the heli tour myself, following advice from Bob and Mandy, as it goes to the south rim, which they said is a ‘must see’. 

The 7 hour Tribal Spirit tour goes out from Vegas during our ‘free day’. I have booked this excursion also, as I wanted to see as much of the canyon as possible, and the heli flight goes from the west rim. There is the option to pay an extra $25 to go on the skywalk. 

Although we have been sent the full day by day itinerary, it didn’t seem absolutely clear (to me anyway), what optional excursions happened on the days in question. However, I am fairly confident that what I have said is accurate.......

Time will tell ?

Looking forward to meeting you!

Sue

RayT
  • (Member)
(Member)
Not long to go now. Just one little thought for anyone who may not have been to USA before - have the address of the first hotel easily available as well as passport details, as they will be required for filling out the landing card the crew hand out. (Unless the authorities have changed their system again!).

See you all in the lounge.

Ray

00Susanna00
(Member)
Hello Ray,

That’s a very useful tip - many thanks!

Sue