michaelyorkshire
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello, I am 35 years old and looking into booking my first solo holiday. I am concerned that age wise I may be the youngest traveler of any group.  With it being my first solo holiday I am looking at European locations with the hope that I will build up enough courage and confidence as a solo traveler for the New York and other North American locations.

Are there any suggestions please for destinations?

Thank you

Darryl Madeley
(Member)
'michaelyorkshire' wrote:

Hello, I am 35 years old and looking into booking my first solo holiday. I am concerned that age wise I may be the youngest traveler of any group.  With it being my first solo holiday I am looking at European locations with the hope that I will build up enough courage and confidence as a solo traveler for the New York and other North American locations.

Thank you

I'm also a first timer, Michael, though I am older than you. I have booked Lake Como, as it is all inclusive, I liked the idea of not having to think about finding places to eat, worrying about the cost of drinks in the hotel etc. Darryl

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Michael

Welcome to the JY Community!

Don't worry about the age issue (I was 41 when I started travelling with JY back in 2008) - you may be on the younger end of the spectrum but you'll soon find that it is the mix of ages that really adds to the group travel experience. I once spent a wonderful afternoon Orca watching off the coast of Vancouver Island with an 85 year old lady who turned out to be a retired journalist and war correspondent and was absolutely fascinating company.

In terms of recommendations for European tours, I would definitely suggest Pompeii, Sorrento and the Bay of Naples. It's a super itinerary with lots of variation, but based in one hotel so you don't have all the additional logistics of, for example, one of the big North American coach tours with a different hotel every night. (Starting with a European trip to build up your travel confidence is a great idea). If you put Pompeii in to the search function on the top right of the page, you'll find loads of reviews and tips from fellow JYers who have done the tour before.

Happy to help if you have other questions.

All the best

Mandy

DawnH
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Michael,

I was 40 when I booked my first Just You holiday so just a few years older than you. I was one of the youngest in the group but I still had a great time. Everyone was very friendly and we all got on great. Every night at the bar in the hotel you would always find a group of Just You’ers hanging out having a couple of drinks and chatting.

I always find it hard to recommend a destination to people I don’t know because everyone has different tastes and while some people might love a particular destination other people will find it isn’t for them. What I would suggest is look through the brochure, or the website at all the different options and see what jumps out at you. If you check the review section of the forum as well you should be able to find someone who has written a review of each tour and that might give you more information on it.

If North America is where you really want to go though I would say just go for it. Really the only difference between the European tours and the American tours is the length of the flight and if you meet up with some of your fellow travellers at the airport on the way out then the flight will go by a lot quicker as you will be chatting and getting to know each other. The tour managers are there to look after you and they will look out for you and help you out with any issues while you are away.

Dawn

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Michael

You will indeed be amongst the youngest traveller in the group but do not let that put you off. I am in my late 60s and have been travelling with JY and other companies for over ten years. Have been on both european and long haul holidays. My European suggestions would be anywhere in Italy, Croatia and Slovenia. My first trip was to China and I am still working my way through my wish list.

My advice would be chose your favourite destination and go for it.

Hope this helps

Lesley

jintzky
(Member)

Thank you

Have you looked into other Solos holidays? (that being a clue to another company name which may be more suitable for you??!)You may indeed be the youngest - it may bother you or not - I would say the average age of JY is over 50. I would say try a destination near home first then branch out....

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi there Michael

Please do NOT worry about the age thing!! It’s the holiday seeing the sights etc, and meeting the people that’s important. I have been out walked by 70 year olds and have had fantastic conversations with old and young alike, some people are old at 30 but others are young at 70-80...I am now 60 but I started travelling with JY when I was 47.

Just pick the tour that you want to go on, don’t worry about the distance..my first tour was Boston, New England and New York it was fantastic and I have since done many USA tours, New Zealand, Kenya Safari, Austria, Tuscany, Poland, and others...all tours have been fantastic for many reasons, the scenery, the people, experiences..

So my advice would be embrace the challenge, look at the tours you fancy, take on board what’s on offer, meals, what’s included, how much free time etc...I tend to go for FULL ON tours so I am busy all day, then just evening meal bed and off exploring again the next day!...

Give it a go, life’s to short not to...

Cindy

sjm533
(Member)

Thank you

Hi Michael,

When it comes to choosing a destination I go through a checklist, not necessarily in this order

Time of year

Budget

Departure airport

Location, is really up to you.  Where would you like to go and why?  Sightseeing, culture, different food, museums, scenery.  Italy is my favourite, but Croatia, Slovenia (Lake Bled), and Austria are all popular.

My first was Albi & Carcassonne, then Calabria, Puglia, Sicily, and Tuscany. Try looking at the review section to get inspiration.

Number of meals included, especially dinners. (for me they must be every evening)

Number of included excursions

Cost of optional excursions

Age - do not worry about age, it is only a number.  Everyone gets on well together.  There are nearly always more women than men.  One sole man took great delight telling his friends he was going on holiday with 28 ladies - and took our group photo to prove it!  He had a great holiday being spoilt by us all.

Booking your first solo holiday is a big step, but booking it is the hardest. Once done all you have to do is think about what you are going to pack, and how much you will enjoy it.

I was badly bitten on my first solo holiday - but it was by the travel bug.  So far I have done about 18 tours.

Happy travelling.

Sylvia

intrepid traveller
(Member)
Hello michaelyorkshire. Please don’t worry about your age - I have found that on JY holidays we gel whatever our age. There are so many wonderful places in Europe that it is difficult to advise you.  So much depends on your preferences. Do you like to be beside the sea, or lakes and mountains. 

do you like ancient sites,  do you like lots of sightseeing or a more leisurely holiday.  So many possibilities.  I have enjoyed many JY holidays and all of them different.   Costa del la Luz,   Spain’s Sunshine Coast.  Try Iceland for somewhere completely different.  Probably best to sit with the book and find somewhere that appeals. Wherever you go I am sure you will enjoy.

andydurrant
(Member)
Don't worry about being the youngest, I'm 43 and more often than not the youngest in the group! It really is just a number, you'll have a great time wherever you choose to go!
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello

First of all please do not worry about age or being the youngest traveller in the Group. Age is just a number! I have heard Slovenia is beautiful and so is Croatia. I have seen a little bit of Croatia when I did the Italian Dolomites and Croatia trip a few years ago. Why don't you either browse online or request a copy of the brochure so you can look at it at leisure and pick a destination you always wanted to go to. Then stop thinking, take the plunge and book it. You will not have any regrets.

Kind regards

Jaya