Julie_WB
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi all,

I'm thinking of booking the Icelandic Splendours that departs on Sunday 15th November 2015.

I haven't been abroad for 16 years and this will be the first to go anywhere on my own.

My partner has no interest in joining me, so I thought I would take the "leap" and venture out leaving him behind. :D

I've always wanted to go to Iceland.

Who else is going please.

Julie

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Julie

I did this trip in March and my advice would be - don't hesitate - book it!

You will have an amazing time. The people are hugely friendly, the food is incredible and the views....well...wow!

Suggestions - get some YakTrax to put on your shoes because it can get a bit icy and slippy when you aren't in central Reykjavik. Don't bother with an umbrella because it can get so windy that you will never keep it up! Take a waterproof jacket and plenty of layers. The weather is incredibly changeable - they have a saying "If you don't like the weather in Iceland, just wait five minutes" and it is absolutely true!

Drinks are pricy but the hotel has a happy two hours 🙂 There is also an ATM in the reception so don't worry about changing currency. Don't forget to take your swimming gear because a dip in the Blue Lagoon, and also the local swimming pool, is a must.

My only disappointment on the trip was that our helicopter ride was cancelled at the last minute because of the weather but, this gives me a great excuse to go back, which I certainly intend to.

Happy to answer any other questions that you may have

Mandy

Julie_WB
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you Mandy.

I booked this holiday a couple of days ago. 🙂

Thanks for the advice and info.

This is very much appreciate as I was wondering about a few things you have mentioned.

You've put my mind at rest about money, as I was wondering how much Eng/Króna I should take.

I've never heard of YakTrax, so I will be definitely buying some of this. 🙂

Yesterday I bought a water proof ruck sack and travel plugs.

I've also been advised to take thermals.

I'm so excited that I've plucked up the courage to book.

Can't wait for my 1st abroad holiday in years. 🙂

Julie xxx

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Julie_WB' wrote:

Thank you Mandy.

I booked this holiday a couple of days ago. :-)

Thanks for the advice and info.

This is very much appreciate as I was wondering about a few things you have mentioned.

You've put my mind at rest about money, as I was wondering how much Eng/Króna I should take.

I've never heard of YakTrax, so I will be definitely buying some of this. :-)

Yesterday I bought a water proof ruck sack and travel plugs.

I've also been advised to take thermals.

I'm so excited that I've plucked up the courage to book.

Can't wait for my 1st abroad holiday in years. :-)

Julie xxx

Well done Julia. I too was on the holiday in March and it was epic. If you have time and into massages the hotel spa and hot stones massage can be recommended. Awesome