Julia
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Good afternoon all,

I've been asked by one of our lovely product creators to pose a question to the wider Just You Community. From the list below, which three appeal to you the most? Please note: that none of these itineraries are set in stone and are subject to change.

Cardiff

Cardiff Castle, The Millennium Stadium, St Fagans - Natural History Museum of Wales

Nice

Nice is a classy city, cultured, Promenade des Anglais, Old Town (Vieux Nice), bars, restaurants and play-ground for the rich and famous!

Bordeaux

Bordeaux, city of culture, offers a range of events and incomparable shows all year long! Contemporary Arts Museum, Wine Tasting, Cathedral,

Bordeaux is a port city on the Garonne River in southwestern France and is the ninth largest city in France.

Barcelona

A great city influenced by the work of the architect Antonio Gaudi. Admire his unique and distinctive style among the towering spires of the Sagrada Familia before strolling through medieval alleyways and climbing the Montjuic hill for stunning views. And not forgetting a stroll down Las Ramblas, the vibrant promenade which cute through the heart of the city.

We also include a day trip to the famous cliff-side monastery of Montserrat, Catalonia’s holiest place and home to around 80 Benedictine monks.

Budapest

One of Europe’s most beautiful cities, Budapest is divided into historical Buda and modern Pest by the River Danube and there is plenty of time to explore both halves of the city. See Millennium Monument on Heores Square in Pest, the opera house and the neo-Gothic Parliament en route to Castle hill. From the top there are sweeping views of the Chain bridge, parliament buildings and the Danube across to Pest. Matthias Church and the Fisherman’s Bastion are also among the must-see sights. Take to the water for a cruise on the Danube with included lunch and of course no visit to Budapest is complete without a visit to one of the famous Ottoman baths.

Milan

Fashion capitol of Italy, home to La Scala Opera House, Leonardo da Vinci's famous fresco "The Last Supper" and to 2 of Italy's most famous football teams - Inter and AC Milan.

A chance to soak up the style and shop till you drop. Included introduction to the city with a local guide visiting Leonardo's fresco and seeing La Scala Opera House amongst its other landmarks.

Shanghai

Cosmopolitan city, far more westernised than other Chinese cities and therefore easier to navigate.

We include a certain amount of sightseeing, Jade Buddha temple and Yu Yuan gardens as part of an included city tour. Centrally located hotel is important to reach the bund on foot

Maybe a colonial style dinner on the Bund as an idea – building such as the Peace hotel are pretty amazing.

Great optionals such as a river cruise - especially a night Cruise as Pudong and the Bund are spectacular at night.

Water towns excursion and Silk factory visit with lunch

Hong Kong

Also a cosmopolitan city, a half day city tour could be included.

Well located hotel but could offer a variety of hotel standards. Range of optionals such as Lantau, Macau and city harbour cruise by night

Very easy to navigate around the city both Hong Kong Island and Kowloon

Reply to this thread, have your say and let us know what you think!

Kindest regards,

Julia

Roamer
  • (Member)
(Member)
AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello, Julia

I'd go for Nice, Bordeaux and Budapest. Shanghai and Hong Kong seem an awful long way away for a city break - perhaps best included in another long-haul holiday.

Ann

Julie White
(Member)
Wow Shanghai or Hong Kong sound wonderful.

I would also love to do Budapest.

Is Singapore too far to include in the breaks. I would love a visit to see the Raffles hotel.

Regards Julie:thumbup:

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Julia

I'd choose Barcelona, Milan and Hong Kong.

However, could I also put a word in for Dublin, Belfast and Halifax in Nova Scotia? I did the first two on JY's 'Tale of Two Cities' break in 2012 but they've come out of the brochure now which is a shame.

As for Nova Scotia - it's only a 5/6 hour flight and has some incredible scenary, fascinating history and fabulous sea food. I've been a couple of times - including a weekend break - and loved it.

Finally - not exactly a city but has JY ever considered doing a break in Jersey? I'm biased because I live here but I think the Island has a lot to offer JY travellers who don't like long haul trips. Just a thought and happy to help if you would like some itinernary ideas -I did a Jersey Tourism Tour Guiding Bronze Badge for a bit of fun as a night class so I could point you in some interesting directions!

All the best

Mandy

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bordeaux and Budapest for me! The others all sound great but financially, these are the two i'd be able to do.

Thanks

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Julia

re Hong Kong ...Lantau is well worth the visit as is the city cruise by night enjoyed both of them in the past.

Barcelona is well worth a visit ..a stroll down las Ramblas is well it, apart from the animals in cages

You know me I am not really into city breaks but they all look interesting if you are..

Cindy

Auntie D
(Member)
'Julia' wrote:

Good afternoon all,

I've been asked by one of our lovely product creators to pose a question to the wider Just You Community. From the list below, which three appeal to you the most? Please note: that none of these itineraries are set in stone and are subject to change.

Cardiff

Cardiff Castle, The Millennium Stadium, St Fagans - Natural History Museum of Wales

Nice

Nice is a classy city, cultured, Promenade des Anglais, Old Town (Vieux Nice), bars, restaurants and play-ground for the rich and famous!

Bordeaux

Bordeaux, city of culture, offers a range of events and incomparable shows all year long! Contemporary Arts Museum, Wine Tasting, Cathedral,

Bordeaux is a port city on the Garonne River in southwestern France and is the ninth largest city in France.

Barcelona

A great city influenced by the work of the architect Antonio Gaudi. Admire his unique and distinctive style among the towering spires of the Sagrada Familia before strolling through medieval alleyways and climbing the Montjuic hill for stunning views. And not forgetting a stroll down Las Ramblas, the vibrant promenade which cute through the heart of the city.

We also include a day trip to the famous cliff-side monastery of Montserrat, Catalonia’s holiest place and home to around 80 Benedictine monks.

Budapest

One of Europe’s most beautiful cities, Budapest is divided into historical Buda and modern Pest by the River Danube and there is plenty of time to explore both halves of the city. See Millennium Monument on Heores Square in Pest, the opera house and the neo-Gothic Parliament en route to Castle hill. From the top there are sweeping views of the Chain bridge, parliament buildings and the Danube across to Pest. Matthias Church and the Fisherman’s Bastion are also among the must-see sights. Take to the water for a cruise on the Danube with included lunch and of course no visit to Budapest is complete without a visit to one of the famous Ottoman baths.

Milan

Fashion capitol of Italy, home to La Scala Opera House, Leonardo da Vinci's famous fresco "The Last Supper" and to 2 of Italy's most famous football teams - Inter and AC Milan.

A chance to soak up the style and shop till you drop. Included introduction to the city with a local guide visiting Leonardo's fresco and seeing La Scala Opera House amongst its other landmarks.

Shanghai

Cosmopolitan city, far more westernised than other Chinese cities and therefore easier to navigate.

We include a certain amount of sightseeing, Jade Buddha temple and Yu Yuan gardens as part of an included city tour. Centrally located hotel is important to reach the bund on foot

Maybe a colonial style dinner on the Bund as an idea – building such as the Peace hotel are pretty amazing.

Great optionals such as a river cruise - especially a night Cruise as Pudong and the Bund are spectacular at night.

Water towns excursion and Silk factory visit with lunch

Hong Kong

Also a cosmopolitan city, a half day city tour could be included.

Well located hotel but could offer a variety of hotel standards. Range of optionals such as Lantau, Macau and city harbour cruise by night

Very easy to navigate around the city both Hong Kong Island and Kowloon

Reply to this thread, have your say and let us know what you think!

Kindest regards,

Julia

Hi Julia,

Talk about being spoilt for choice ~~ but here goes.

1) Bordeaux

2) Barcelona but only if guaranteed entrance to the Sagrada Familia,

2) If entrance not guaranteed, then Budapest.

3) Hong Kong.

I'll probably change my mind as the day goes one but, too late now!!!

Regards,

Denise

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Julia, of those on the list Barcelona, Hong Kong and Milan appeal the most. I'm hoping to see Shanghai on the China tour which I hope to book very shortly!

Glad to see some further destinations being considered for city breaks.

All the best,

Bob

Lois
  • (Member)
(Member)
My 3 choices would be Milan, Shanghai and Nice in that order.

Lois

katy1717
(Member)
I would be interested in Bordeaux (would also be interested in Biarritz just a bit further south). Also in Milan. (For Nice I think one of your Italian trips covers it as a day trip and that would be enough for me - so will wait till I do that trip.)
Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Julia,

Milan, Budapest and Bordeaux for me. Could consider going to Barcelona again though! Much as I would like to go to Hong Kong and Shanghai, I think there are a little too far for a city break!

Cheers,

Hils

Rosie9
  • (Member)
(Member)
anitalaughs
(Member)
'Lois' wrote:

My 3 choices would be Milan, Shanghai and Nice in that order.

Lois

Hi Julia,

My 3 choices would be

Budapest

Milan

Bordeaux

I have been to Barcelona and Nice. The others are too far away for a city break, more long haul.

Anita

JimS
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hong Kong

Shanghai

Budapest

How about a city break to San Francisco? How about combining a couple of city breaks together especially the long haul trips, New York/San Francisco, Hong Kong/Shanghai, Hong Kong/Singapore etc?

Regds

Jim

Gwyn
  • (Member)
(Member)
Nice followed by Milan for me.

Maybe I can add that I'd prefer Vienna to any of the cities on the list!

the_baron1
(Member)
Good morning Julia,

my 3 choices would be :

Shanghai. But would like it extended as a weekend break is a bit short for that far away destination.

Budapest.

Nice.

As Singapore is one of my favourite places, as suggested above would like that to be included but as with Shanghai be extended to 4/5 days.

Eric

michael1
(Member)
Hi

First of all, great to see that JY have included some new 4-5 day breaks from next year - and even better that the two I've already looked closer at have Thu/Fri departure dates which restricts the number of days off work required!

As for your list, Shanghai and Hong Kong definitely appeals subject to length of visit (I'd suggest would need to be at least 5 days?), and would also suggest Milan. Part of my reasoning being that Barcelona and Budapest are already covered on longer trips offered by JY.

Michael.

RosieMo
(Member)
I've actually been to all of these cities :blush:

The one that I would love to visit again, for a few days and with the suggested content, would be Bordeaux.

I do love AELB's idea of Nova Scotia - and 6 hours flight is a lot shorter than the 12 hours to Hong Kong!

RM.

Jean77
  • (Member)
(Member)
I visited Budapest this summer on the Danube River Cruise. It's a wonderful city and I'd love to go back. Barcelona is always worth a visit. Never been to Bordeaux but it sounds great. So my choices are the three Bs.

Budapest

Barcelona

Bordeaux