SharonT
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
This was certainly a holiday of a lifetime! Uganda is a great country - varied scenery, amazing wildlife, and such friendly people!

We were a small group - just seven of us plus our extremely approachable and efficient Tour Manager, Damien - and from the time we arrived in Entebbe until drop-off for our return flights we had two vehicles (with roofs that opened for wildlife viewing) and driver/guides (Tony and Africano from Speke Uganda Travel). These guys had eyes like hawks, and could spot and identify wildlife even while driving!

I loved the different hotels/lodges we stayed in (looks like one change for the rest of this year’s departures - we stayed at Turaco Treetops and not Mountains of the Moon in Kibale). All had friendly and helpful staff and very comfortable beds! 

The advance information from JY was detailed and informative with regard to visas, covid testing requirements, and clothing/equipment necessary for the trip, etc.

It’s so hard to choose my highlights, but it has to be the chimpanzee and gorilla tracking. We were lucky that conditions were relatively dry. (We had one very wet afternoon after the chimp tracking and Tinka’s homestead when we had to abandon a walk in Bigodi Wetland Sanctuary.) 

I’d say the chimp tracking wasn’t too difficult - despite several of the group stumbling - but have to admit I was extremely worried about how I’d cope with the potentially longer and more difficult terrain of the gorilla tracking. My worries were compounded when I fell (tripped over a ‘Caution - Slippery Surface’ sign!) after breakfast the previous day and hurt my knee. By the time we arrived at Silverback Lodge I could barely walk and had decided I’d have to opt out. However, the lovely lodge manager went to the local pharmacy to get gel and a crepe bandage for me - and wouldn’t accept payment! - and those - plus lots of painkillers - meant that the following morning I decided to give it a try.

As there were just eight of us it had been agreed that we’d be in our own tracking group and aim for one of the closer groups identified by the spotters/rangers and we each hired our own porter (essential!). We had ‘entertainment’ plus a briefing at the park HQ before being transported by our drivers to the start point to meet our porters - and to learn that the group we would track was on the move! We set off and tramped for maybe a couple of hours before finally catching up with the group. My bad knee made it incredibly hard, and there’s no way I could have done it without my porter (and sometimes one or more of the others too!) and the amazing support and encouragement I had from the rest of our group. It was worth the agony - I’ve never been so knackered, or hurt so much! - to spend the hour allowed watching the antics of the gorilla group, before heading out of the forest to be met by our drivers to transport us to that night’s accommodation.

Unfortunately we didn’t manage to see any tree-climbing lions, but I did see many animals new to me in the wild - my third highlight has to be the distant leopard resting high up in a tree in QENP!

Overall the holiday was well balanced - tracking interspersed with more leisurely game drives and the two very relaxing wildlife cruises at Murchison Falls and QENP, plus the opportunities to learn more about local life - and Uganda is certainly a country I’d love to revisit!

I’d be happy to (try to!) answer any questions anyone going on future departures of this trip would like to ask and attach the link to the photo book I’ve made of my holiday if you’re interested: https://www.bonusprint.co.uk/view-online-photo-book?widgetId=4cc8ad7f-e8a4-4ccb-9f09-2b4204a5f150 

Peter G
(Member)
'SharonT' wrote:

This was certainly a holiday of a lifetime! Uganda is a great country - varied scenery, amazing wildlife, and such friendly people!

We were a small group - just seven of us plus our extremely approachable and efficient Tour Manager, Damien - and from the time we arrived in Entebbe until drop-off for our return flights we had two vehicles (with roofs that opened for wildlife viewing) and driver/guides (Tony and Africano from Speke Uganda Travel). These guys had eyes like hawks, and could spot and identify wildlife even while driving!

I loved the different hotels/lodges we stayed in (looks like one change for the rest of this year’s departures - we stayed at Turaco Treetops and not Mountains of the Moon in Kibale). All had friendly and helpful staff and very comfortable beds! 

The advance information from JY was detailed and informative with regard to visas, covid testing requirements, and clothing/equipment necessary for the trip, etc.

It’s so hard to choose my highlights, but it has to be the chimpanzee and gorilla tracking. We were lucky that conditions were relatively dry. (We had one very wet afternoon after the chimp tracking and Tinka’s homestead when we had to abandon a walk in Bigodi Wetland Sanctuary.) 

I’d say the chimp tracking wasn’t too difficult - despite several of the group stumbling - but have to admit I was extremely worried about how I’d cope with the potentially longer and more difficult terrain of the gorilla tracking. My worries were compounded when I fell (tripped over a ‘Caution - Slippery Surface’ sign!) after breakfast the previous day and hurt my knee. By the time we arrived at Silverback Lodge I could barely walk and had decided I’d have to opt out. However, the lovely lodge manager went to the local pharmacy to get gel and a crepe bandage for me - and wouldn’t accept payment! - and those - plus lots of painkillers - meant that the following morning I decided to give it a try.

As there were just eight of us it had been agreed that we’d be in our own tracking group and aim for one of the closer groups identified by the spotters/rangers and we each hired our own porter (essential!). We had ‘entertainment’ plus a briefing at the park HQ before being transported by our drivers to the start point to meet our porters - and to learn that the group we would track was on the move! We set off and tramped for maybe a couple of hours before finally catching up with the group. My bad knee made it incredibly hard, and there’s no way I could have done it without my porter (and sometimes one or more of the others too!) and the amazing support and encouragement I had from the rest of our group. It was worth the agony - I’ve never been so knackered, or hurt so much! - to spend the hour allowed watching the antics of the gorilla group, before heading out of the forest to be met by our drivers to transport us to that night’s accommodation.

Unfortunately we didn’t manage to see any tree-climbing lions, but I did see many animals new to me in the wild - my third highlight has to be the distant leopard resting high up in a tree in QENP!

Overall the holiday was well balanced - tracking interspersed with more leisurely game drives and the two very relaxing wildlife cruises at Murchison Falls and QENP, plus the opportunities to learn more about local life - and Uganda is certainly a country I’d love to revisit!

I’d be happy to (try to!) answer any questions anyone going on future departures of this trip would like to ask and attach the link to the photo book I’ve made of my holiday if you’re interested: https://www.bonusprint.co.uk/view-online-photo-book?widgetId=4cc8ad7f-e8a4-4ccb-9f09-2b4204a5f150 

A great review Sharon. The photos in your photobook together with your comments told the story of your trip very well. Sorry to read about your other trip but you still managed to trek to see the gorillas. I am tempted to put Uganda  on my wish list but have been put off by trekking through impenetrable jungle for hours to see the gorillas.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Sharon

Thank you very much for posting the review and also the link to your photobook. Truly amazing. I can't wait for June and hope we too see the gorillas within a couple of hours' trek.

Kind regards

Jaya

SharonT
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hello Sharon

Thank you very much for posting the review and also the link to your photobook.  Truly amazing.  I can't wait for June and hope we too see the gorillas within a couple of hours' trek.

Kind regards

Jaya

Hi Jaya!

I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time too! There’s a maximum of 8 participants in each gorilla tracking group (not including porters, ranger, guard) so we were just the right size. Our local guides from Speke appeared to have a very good relationship with the NP staff and already knew our (lack of?) abilities by then, and it was them that ensured we weren’t split up and were able to track a close(ish!) group. I guess it depends how many are on your tour and age range/abilities - we were on the oldish side, mostly in our 60s (I’m 69, and was the second oldest) - but I’d have been fine without my painful knee!!

Jellifer
(Member)
Thanks for a wonderful review. Really enjoyed hearing about your adventures and especially seeing the beautiful pictures!
RogerT
(Member)
Hi Sharon

thanks so much for posting your review.

And your photo book is a great read/look through.

It certainly gives an excellent insight into the tour as a whole.

My anticipation is getting even more eager now !

Perhaps you could help with a couple of queries I have ..?

Have you any advice re currency requirements (shillings & dollars) ?

Also, covid protocols are continually changing, as we know, and hopefully come June things will be even more straightforward. I was wondering, though, what was needed on your trip re negotiating Heathrow/Dubai/Entebbe ?

Thanks once again

Regards,

Roger

PaulaH
(Member)
Thanks for the review Sharon, sounds like you had a brilliant time.

I'm going in June and the countdown has really begun now.

Paula

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi Sharon

many thanks for your wonderful review and i must say i really cannot wait more than ever now for our trip in June and very well done to you in completing your trek to see the Gorillas despite your unfortunate accident the previous day and a great deal of appreciation to all those that helped you get through it, on reading Mike W's post he did mention of the dangers of trekking in Kibale forest in his write up so hopefully we'll all get there

loved that book you did and reading your story, was a wonderful presentation so thank you for that

just a couple of questions: regarding the gorilla trek what did people wear basically, ie: gaiters for your trousers did many have these on though i have purchased a pair anyway so shall use them, garden gloves to fight off the terrain, waterproofs etc

and my other question how close to the gorillas/chimpanzees, just wondering which camera to bring, i have my 60xzoom bridge camera or my smaller 30xzoom Lumix although i'll prob take both on the trip but if i could leave my bulkier bridge camera behind for the Gorillas this would save a bit of space in my bag and yes i will be hiring a porter, sorry you didn't see any tree climbing lions but at least you get a Leopard

Thank you very much and hope your knee has fully recovered

Best Regards

Dave

suer
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Sharon, just wanted to say thank you for sharing your album of all the animals you have seen on your adventure holiday, looks amazing and such wonderful memories. I wish I did something like this when I was younger as I don’t think I could cope with all the trekking and changes in lodging. I’m glad you had such a wonderful holiday with a small group.
SharonT
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'suer' wrote:

Hello Sharon, just wanted to say thank you for sharing your album of all the animals you have seen on your adventure holiday, looks amazing and such wonderful memories. I wish I did something like this when I was younger as I don’t think I could cope with all  the trekking and changes in lodging. I’m glad you had such a wonderful holiday with a small group.

I’m 70 this year, and have to admit I worried that if I didn’t go this year I wouldn’t have managed it!

SharonT
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'RogerT' wrote:

Hi Sharon

thanks so much for posting your review.

And your photo book is a great read/look through.

It certainly gives an excellent insight into the tour as a whole.

My anticipation is getting even more eager now !

Perhaps you could help with a couple of queries I have ..?

Have you any advice re currency requirements (shillings & dollars) ?

Also, covid protocols are continually changing, as we know, and hopefully come June things will be even more straightforward. I was wondering, though, what was needed on your trip re negotiating Heathrow/Dubai/Entebbe ?

Thanks once again

Regards,

Roger

Hi Roger

Shillings can only be bought/sold in Uganda. I took USD and changed USD50 into shillings on arrival (shopping centre almost next door to Best Western hotel in Entebbe). Mostly I used USD - make sure you have plenty of 1/5/10/20 notes rather than anything larger, and notes must be in pristine condition (no folds, tears, ink marks, etc) or they’re refused! All of the lodges etc took both, and cards too.

You’re right covid restrictions are changing fast - when I went I needed a PCR within 72 h of departure (actually did it within 48 h as at that time I needed a 48 h PCR to transit Dubai, though that restriction had been removed by the time I went!). We’d also all prepaid USD30 for a PCR on arrival in Entebbe - also not required! We had to have a PCR to leave Uganda too - a medic came to the hotel the day before we flew home (didn’t have to pay for this). And a UK PLF completed to come home too - now scrapped! I also took my NHS vaccination certificate (printed & had on my phone) and yellow fever certificate - which I had to take photo of and upload for visa application. Checks at Heathrow were easy but everything was checked multiple times at both Entebbe & Dubai!

Hope this helps!

SharonT
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'PaulaH' wrote:

Thanks for the review Sharon, sounds like you had a brilliant time.

I'm going in June and the countdown has really begun now.

Paula

I’m sure you’ll have an equally amazing time!

SharonT
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'AbbaDave' wrote:

Hi Sharon

many thanks for your wonderful review and i must say i really cannot wait more than ever now for our trip in June and very well done to you in completing your trek to see the Gorillas despite your unfortunate accident the previous day and a great deal of appreciation to all those that helped you get through it,  on reading Mike W's post he did mention of the dangers of trekking in Kibale forest in his write up so hopefully we'll all get there

loved that book you did and reading your story, was a wonderful presentation so thank you for that

just a couple of questions: regarding the gorilla trek what did people wear basically, ie: gaiters for your trousers did many have these on though i have purchased a pair anyway so shall use them,  garden gloves to fight off the terrain, waterproofs etc

and my other question how close to the gorillas/chimpanzees, just wondering which camera to bring, i have my 60xzoom bridge camera or my smaller 30xzoom Lumix although i'll prob take both on the trip but if i could leave my bulkier bridge camera behind for the Gorillas this  would  save a bit of space in my bag and yes i will be hiring a porter, sorry you didn't see any tree climbing lions but at least you get a Leopard

Thank you very much and hope your knee has fully recovered  

Best Regards

Dave

Hi Dave

My knee is finally fully recovered, thank you!

I wore gaiters and was glad I did - the gloves were also very useful, though the porters also help a lot in clearing the way! My waterproof was in my rucksack and I also needed a fair amount of water. Didn’t take/wear my waterproof overtrousers for gorillas or chimps - would have been far too hot!

The porters will carry your rucksack so you really don’t have to worry about anything other than yourself during gorilla tracking. You must keep 10 m back from the gorillas - my photos were all taken on my LUMIX TZ90 30x zoom, though many were obviously cropped for the photo book. I’m no camera or photography expert, but have given up using my much older (and heavier & also Panasonic) bridge camera. Obviously a longer zoom would have improved, e.g., many of my bird pictures but I haven’t used anything but a LUMIX for many years now! Have to say a bridge camera would have improved my leopard shots - I was well past the limits of the LUMIX!!

Hope this helps.

Sharon

RogerT
(Member)
Hi Sharon (again) ..

thanks very much for the currency/covid queries heads up. Very useful.

I hope the porters are strong .. my camera, bins and water will be quite a load.

Pleased to hear your knee has recovered. Coming through that ordeal you must be ready for anything … ;-)

Kind regards,

Roger

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi Matt

Did I read somewhere something about sending a copy of your passport something to do with obtaining permits for the gorilla trek, I don't recall ever being asked for a copy of our passport, can you clarify this please

Regards

Dave

Matt
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Dave,

That is correct, the team does need your passport scan to obtain the permits, this will either be asked for at the time of final payment or you will be called in plenty of time before departure.

Kind regards

Matt

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
'RogerT' wrote:

Hi Sharon (again) ..

thanks very much for the currency/covid queries heads up. Very useful.

I hope the porters are strong .. my camera, bins and water will be quite a load.

Pleased to hear your knee has recovered. Coming through that ordeal you must be ready for anything … ;-)

Kind regards,

Roger

Roger if your bag is going to be this heavy then you will be charged twice!  🙂 🙂 😉

Kind regards

Jaya

RogerT
(Member)
3 essentials for this trek I reckon Jaya !

Can’t believe it’s nearly upon us after such a prolonged wait. Really looking forward to it.

I received an Email from Emirates airline recently telling me our flight has been cancelled due to a temporary closure of the runway in Dubai !

I presume JY are on the case and rerouting us .. (Matt ?)

61 days and counting. 🙂

Matt
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi RogerT

I bet you are really excited about your upcoming Uganda holiday.

I have checked with the Aviation Team, and they say that at this stage the flights are scheduled to depart as per your booking. They will monitor the flights and should anything change we will be in touch as soon as possible.

Kind regards

Matt

RogerT
(Member)
Thanks for that Matt.

I’ve just checked the email from Emirates again (25/3) and after further investigation this is what I discovered ..

Only one (out of 4) of our flights is affected apparently. That is ‘EK2170’ on June 16. This is the Entebbe to Dubai return leg, which is/was due to land at Terminal 2. Might be worth checking again with the aviation team ? Other Dubai connections are from Terminal 3 and, therefore, unaffected.

If it is of assistance I can forward you the email ?

Thanks again, and yes, I am just a tad on the excited side 😉