BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mary,

Many thanks for your comments! I usually bring enough tops to change every other day and around five pairs of trousers/shorts and I do some overnight washing when needed. The hotel in Salt Lake City might do laundry and this could be an option as you're there for two nights. Many of the overnight stops are in motels (some of which are a bit basic, so I doubt they have laundry facilities). I wore decent Ecco sandals, which had a good grip and a good pair of runners - some of the parks have stony trails, so I'd suggest something with a good grip - keep your strappy sandals or heels for going out at night! There were [/u]40 on our tour and as it is one of JY's most popular you could have a similar number. I like being in a big group, the only drawback is the length of time it took everyone to get on and off the coach! This is one of my favourite JY hols and I hope you have as great a time as I did.

Take care,

Bob

Mary Beverley
(Member)
Hi Bob

Very many thanks for your reply and handy tips. When I go away on short breaks I'm pretty good at packing light, but for longer trips it's more of a challenge. I haven't been on many group tours (except with Explore to Tanzania and JY to Croatia). I tend to either travel on my own or with friends, so this is a bit of a departure for me as I'm not a fan of being "herded". Hopefully I won't come back with a wool coat and going "baaa"!!

Mary

'BGray' wrote:

Hi Mary,

Many thanks for your comments! I usually bring enough tops to change every other day and around five pairs of trousers/shorts and I do some overnight washing when needed. The hotel in Salt Lake City might do laundry and this could be an option as you're there for two nights. Many of the overnight stops are in motels (some of which are a bit basic, so I doubt they have laundry facilities). I wore decent Ecco sandals, which had a good grip and a good pair of runners - some of the parks have stony trails, so I'd suggest something with a good grip - keep your strappy sandals or heels for going out at night! There were [/u]40 on our tour and as it is one of JY's most popular you could have a similar number. I like being in a big group, the only drawback is the length of time it took everyone to get on and off the coach! This is one of my favourite JY hols and I hope you have as great a time as I did.

Take care,

Bob

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mary, despite the large group and the variety of places visited I really didn't feel "herded" on this tour! We had plenty of free time to wander around the various parks we visited and people naturally broke up into small groups of twos or threes or wandered by themselves. The only time I felt I was "tagging along" was at Little Big Horn, where the park guides took us from one site to another - it was reasonably interesting, but not a highlight of my tour! When you get to Yellowstone, ask if you can visit the Grand Prismatic Spring - it wasn't part of our itinerary but I asked and we took a detour to have a look at it. Unfortunately it was very foggy there, but perhaps you'll have better luck! If I had to pick my three favourite parts of this tour it would be Yellowstone, Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon - out of this world! Try to do as many of the flights as you can, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Have a blast,

Bob

Mary Beverley
(Member)
Hi Bob

Good to hear that there is a good deal of independence on the tour and I will certainly suggest a trip to Grand Prismatic spring. Are you off somewhere exciting this year? You seem a seasoned traveller.

Mary

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Mary, I'm not sure if I qualify as a seasoned traveller yet but I'm working hard on getting there! I've China booked with JY for Sept and am contemplating Jordan for November and Namibia for next May, both with JY as all their tours are excellent, so well thought out and I reckon good value for what you get. If you see a holiday you really want to do in the JY brochure, book it as soon as you can as it mightn't be there the following year! By my reckoning China will be my 40th country, so I'll raise a glass in celebration whilst there hopefully!

Take care,

Bob

Mary Beverley
(Member)
I'll look forward to reading your next review. I'm sure you will have a great time. A number of friends know Namibia quite well and really recommend it.

Three holidays for you to look forward to between now and May! ... thinking you may be retired? It's great isn't it? My holidays over the last couple of years were restricted to Europe and the Uk due to not wishing to be too far from a frail and elderly Mum. Now she is no longer with us, I am getting back to longer hauls. Having said that, I still love parts of the Uk and Europe, especially if I wish to travel on my own.

Best wishes

Mary

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Mary, I'm still working but get six weeks hols a year - unfortunately I can't take them at regular holiday times such as summer, Christmas or Easter so I have to find hols that suit my dates. JY are great for this. Really hoping Namibia works out. My mother died two weeks ago after a short but terrible illness, so I understand where you are coming from. I'm focusing on long hauls at the moment while I'm hopefully healthy enough and have enough money to pay for them and planning to do more of Europe when I'm older. I won't have a great pension, so I need to do the expensive tours now while I can!

Hope everything works out for you and if you have any other National Parks related questions, ask away!

Best wishes,

Bob

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bob

So sorry that you lost your Mum, it's always difficult to know what to say in these situations as any words seem pretty empty.

I am glad, though, that you are back travelling. Like you I'm doing the long hauls whilst I'm young (ish!) and earning but I still seem to be squeezing in the odd short European break as a filler. It would be great if you do Namibia next May - it should be one of those 'trips of a lifetime' and it would be nice to finally meet.

Sally

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'sallyc' wrote:

Bob

So sorry that you lost your Mum, it's always difficult to know what to say in these situations as any words seem pretty empty.

I am glad, though, that you are back travelling. Like you I'm doing the long hauls whilst I'm young (ish!) and earning but I still seem to be squeezing in the odd short European break as a filler. It would be great if you do Namibia next May - it should be one of those 'trips of a lifetime' and it would be nice to finally meet.

Sally

Hi Sally, many thanks for your kind words. I have just booked Namibia for next May, so all being well we will meet then! Fingers crossed!

Best wishes,

Bob

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Mary Beverley
(Member)
Dear Bob

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. It must be a difficult time for you, especially if it was unexpected and sudden. Both my parents reached a good age... 88 and 89.

I am just returning to booking "proper" holidays now. My sister had a stem cell transplant in January to tackle a complex form of blood cancers and is doing well, so i feel more comfortable about holidaying further afield again. My kids are so pleased I am getting back in to travelling... partly enable by the legacy from my Mum. She would be pleased too.

I'm sure Namibia will be fabulous. I loved Tanzania and would like to see more of Africa. So many places, and not enough time... or money! I will certainly get in touch again with any pre-holiday queries and of course after I have done the trip.

Mary

'BGray' wrote:

Thanks Mary, I'm still working but get six weeks hols a year - unfortunately I can't take them at regular holiday times such as summer, Christmas or Easter so I have to find hols that suit my dates. JY are great for this. Really hoping Namibia works out. My mother died two weeks ago after a short but terrible illness, so I understand where you are coming from. I'm focusing on long hauls at the moment while I'm hopefully healthy enough and have enough money to pay for them and planning to do more of Europe when I'm older. I won't have a great pension, so I need to do the expensive tours now while I can!

Hope everything works out for you and if you have any other National Parks related questions, ask away!

Best wishes,

Bob

Mary Beverley
(Member)
Hi Bob

Just another thought. How many dollars do you think I need for the trip. Am planning to take a cash passport. maybe $1000? what do you think?

Mary

'BGray' wrote:

Hi I've just returned from the National Parks, Mount Rushmore and Little Big Horn tour that left on 9 Sept and what a brilliant holiday it was! It was clear from the itinerary that it would be a long but rewarding tour and I was not disappointed - in fact, it surpassed all my expectations. My appetite had been well and truly whetted by the excellent review given by Olive some months back, so I'll try my best not to duplicate what she said.

In just over two weeks, we travelled over 3,000 miles and in nine states. Most mornings we left at 8.30am, sometimes at 8.00am. The only exceptions were the days with the optional flights, which had an early start. On the many travelling days, we usually arrived at our hotel between 5.00-6.00pm, occasionally later. Although the travelling days were long, they were broken up by regular "comfort stops" - I don't think we were ever on the coach for more than two hours without a stop. We usually stopped off at a place of interest or at the very least a shop/garage that had tea/coffee facilities and/or a gift shop. The hotels were of a reasonable standard, with some of a good standard. Just over half of them were motels. Breakfast was generally a hot buffet, with a couple of the more out of the way motels serving a simpler continental style breakfast. One thing to bear in mind in this trip is that you travel through sparsely populated areas and some of the hotels/resorts only exist to serve the nearby national park. Some of the hotels had restaurants; the rest had a range of suitable places to eat nearby. Deborah, the tour manager, always made some suggestions as to where we could eat and waited around the lobby/reception area after check in, to ensure that we were all ok and were sorted with somewhere to eat.

The tour itself was outstanding - we fitted a huge amount in for the time available. I had looked at other companies and I don't think any other tour operator offers a comparable tour of the national parks. The first day, from Denver to Rapid City is really just a travelling day, so don't expect much by way of spectacular scenery! It gets more interesting as you head into South Dakota, with nice hilly scenery. The next day took our breath away - the scenery at Badlands NP was outstanding. This was followed by very interesting visits to Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse memorial - an action packed day!

The visit to Deadwood was brilliant - especially, as Olive mentioned, the tour of the town in the yellow school bus with a company owned by Kevin Costner. The driver really was hilarious and it was great fun. Most of us had an excellent lunch in Costner's restaurant Diamond Lil's afterwards (which had memorbilia from his films everywhere). The following day saw us head to the site of the Little Bighorn battlefield. To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to this much as I don't have a great interest in military history or anything, but the guides we had that day were excellent and brought the story to life in dramatic fashion. We then went on to Cody, a lovely little town and I wish we had had a second day there, as I would have liked to explore it further. We had the option of going to a cowboy show that evening, with dinner included, and I really didn't know what to expect. What happened was I had one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life! The show consisted of a group of four country and western musicians - a father, mother, their friend and their eldest son (who is 14). They are all champion musicians in their own right and treated us to a fun-filled evening of music and banter - and I don't even like country music!

Next up was an unforgettable two day visit to Yellowstone NP - I had high expectations and even though the weather was cold and showery, I was in no way disappointed - the colours and sights were incredible. We then travelled through stunning mountain scenery of the Grand Tetons and Bear Lake. I recommend the excursion down the Snake River, it was very relaxing and we saw lots of wildlife, including 25 bald eagles, which our rower Levi said was a record!

Salt Lake City was interesting, learning about the Mormon faith and admiring the beautiful floral displays. The excursion to the Great Salt Lake and Park City was enjoyable and pleasant but not overly exciting! After that the tour cranked up another gear and our breath was taken away again when we reached Arches National Park. The weather was glorious by now and the colours and rock formations were amazing. Mesa Verde was an interesting experience (although the historical introduction was a little overly long) - the rock houses were another unique experience, set in a lush canyon.

The visit to Four Corners was fun as we all posed for photos with a limb in each of the four states. Then came another wondrous highlight - the mighty Monument Valley. I did the four wheel tour and the flight (which was absolutely stunning - expensive but well worth it, as we saw the Valley, Lake Powell and the Grand Canyon from lots of different perspectives). The following day we went to the Grand Canyon - we had plenty of time there and the views were again hard to take in. I had visited the Grand Canyon before on the Golden West tour, but this time we visited different viewing points so I got a completely different perspective. I also did the helicopter flight which again was well worth it and great fun. The Lake Powell cruise was very relaxing with more great scenery as we sped through part of Antelope Canyon (we didn't have the opportunity to visit the famous slot canyon, which was my only regret of the whole tour - but you can't do everything!).

The final couple of days took us to Bryce Canyon (yet another different but stunning landscape; I did the Bryce flight but not the Rainbow Bridge flight and again would recommend it for more stunning scenery) and Zion NP, where we had a ground view and plenty of time to walk around the park and then onto Vegas. Unfortunately the bus broke down while we were having a comfort stop, but our tour manager organised for us to take refuge at Peggy Sue's diner/bar where we had a lot of fun (some of us more than others, ahem!). As a consequence, we arrived later than scheduled into Vegas and had to forego the Vegas by Night tour (I received a lovely letter from JY this morning apologising for the bus breakdown and a refund will be forthcoming). We had a rare lie-in the next morning and then an extended morning tour, followed by free time before we went to the airport. The group was divided between those who loved Vegas and those who didn't - I fell into the former category and for me, it was a great end to an outstanding tour.

This review has ended up being a lot longer than I had planned, but I would like those interested to know that it is a full-on tour, but truly a holiday of a lifetime. Expect it to be colder than elsewhere in Yellowstone and again at Bryce. With such a long and intensive itinerary and a large group (40), there was inevitably the occasional hiccup, but our tour manager Deborah Flower took everything in her stride and kept us entertained with her off-the-wall sense of humour. The group were very friendly and mixed extremely well together. I have never laughed so much on a holiday, or taken so many stunning photos, so thank you Just You for a holiday that will remain in my memory for the rest of my life.

Any queries that others interested in doing this holiday may have and I'll do my best to answer them!

Cheers,

Bob

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mary,

I usually budget for around $50 a day when you have to buy your own lunch and dinner. On some of the travelling days, we just stopped off at a garage/general store/fast food outlet and either got a cheap take away, sandwich or snack. Dinners were generally in the region of around $25 plus drinks. I think I brought around $1,200 and had some dollars left over at the end, so $1,000 would probably be enough - and you can always use your ATM and credit cards, providing you have informed your bank beforehand.

Best wishes,

Bob

Mary Beverley
(Member)
Thanks so much Bob. Helpful advice as always. It seems a good time to be buying dollars so less costly than a few months ago. Having a few days in the New Forest in July.... not really preparation for the National Parks however!

all good wishes

Mary

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob

First of all wanted to say how sorry about the sad loss of your mother. I met Mike whilst on holiday in Italy and Croatia and he gave me the sad news. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Secondly, I am pleased to hear that you are going to Namibia in May next year. Looking forward to meeting you.

Kind regards

Jaya

adg29
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi, have just returned from this trip a few days ago and wow it was brilliant. My expectations were high and i was not disappointed. All the hotels/motels were clean and comfortable some better than others and breakfasts ranged from cooked to making your own waffles with hot syrup, also available fruit toast and cereals. I have re-read Bobs brilliant description and it really covered all the bases and only had cooler weather/some rain around the second day in Yellowstone and passing the Grand Tetons but it didn't interfere with the trip. Only 17 on the trip so plenty of space on the coach and not a problem eating out in the evenings.

With regards to how much money to take, i had $1200 and came back with $300 and of my spend about $100 was spent on t-shirts, hat etc as i don't spend on souvenirs unless they are practical.

I am on the side of not liking Vegas especially after all the wide open spaces and small towns so it came as a bit of a shock but you only have one day there and it is an experience. Lastly be brave and try the rides out on top of the Stratosphere hotel (only 109 stories high), they are so scary and i chickened out, or was i being sensible.

For everyone going on this trip you will see so many breathtaking sights and to use the Americans favourite word it was AWESOME.

PaulineD
(Member)
'adg29' wrote:

Hi, have just returned from this trip a few days ago and wow it was brilliant. My expectations were high and i was not disappointed. All the hotels/motels were clean and comfortable some better than others and breakfasts ranged from cooked to making your own waffles with hot syrup, also available fruit toast and cereals. I have re-read Bobs brilliant description and it really covered all the bases and only had cooler weather/some rain around the second day in Yellowstone and passing the Grand Tetons but it didn't interfere with the trip. Only 17 on the trip so plenty of space on the coach and not a problem eating out in the evenings.

With regards to how much money to take, i had $1200 and came back with $300 and of my spend about $100 was spent on t-shirts, hat etc as i don't spend on souvenirs unless they are practical.

I am on the side of not liking Vegas especially after all the wide open spaces and small towns so it came as a bit of a shock but you only have one day there and it is an experience. Lastly be brave and try the rides out on top of the Stratosphere hotel (only 109 stories high), they are so scary and i chickened out, or was i being sensible.

For everyone going on this trip you will see so many breathtaking sights and to use the Americans favourite word it was AWESOME.

Hi Adg29,

In my opinion you were being sensible by not going on the rides on top of the Stratosphere. I, like you, had every intention of going on them when I stayed there in May but when I got up to the top I even had trouble going over to the edge of the tower let alone doing the rides. I think you need nerves of steel and a very strong stomach to tackle them!!PaulineD

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Bob

First of all wanted to say how sorry about the sad loss of your mother. I met Mike whilst on holiday in Italy and Croatia and he gave me the sad news. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Secondly, I am pleased to hear that you are going to Namibia in May next year. Looking forward to meeting you.

Kind regards

Jaya

Hi Jaya, I've only just seen your post now - many thanks for your kind words. I'm very much looking forward to Namibia in May and meeting you then.

Best wishes,

Bob

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Adg29,

I am doing this holiday in September and I am so exited. Like other readers I've been wondering about money so its great to hear from other travellers about what they spent in order to judge how much money to bring.

I've paid for as many of the optional excusions as I can so I feel quite confident that I will have enough cash but will take a card just in case. Now all I need to do is pack!!

Only 77 days until my holiday!! Wooohooooo

Kezzer

adg29
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Kezzer46' wrote:

Hi Adg29,

I am doing this holiday in September and I am so exited. Like other readers I've been wondering about money so its great to hear from other travellers about what they spent in order to judge how much money to bring.

I've paid for as many of the optional excusions as I can so I feel quite confident that I will have enough cash but will take a card just in case. Now all I need to do is pack!!

Only 77 days until my holiday!! Wooohooooo

Hi Kezzer

I reckon that $1000 dollars would be ample as long as you are not a big drinker as they can be pricey except for basic beers, also you will see so many souvenir shops just be a bit descriminating as a lot is the usual tat. Money is basically for lunch and evening meals and beware the large portions on the plate. Paying for the excursions in advance takes the worry out of finding the money there but take a debit/credit card just in case although i didn't need mine.

You will have such a fantastic time and the sites are just unbelievable.

I was speaking with a couple at the weekend who have been to all the same places and it has taken them 7 visits to cram in what Just You do in 15 days. But don't get the impression that you are rushed, its just that everything is well organised without wasting time.

Start counting down the days

Alan

Kezzer