Mick W
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Some questions to those that have been on a China tour ?

How much Chinese currency do you need per day ?

Is it useful taking some America Dollars ?

Do most places accept credit cards ?

Thanks

Mick

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mick,

Nice to hear from you!  On the JY Inspirational China tour, all meals were included so a minimal amount of yuan was needed for drinks etc.  I changed money there - I think the hotels had change facilities; it wasn't a problem anyhow.  For the Roof of the World you'd need more as I don't think all meals are included - and this may be the same if you're doing a Travelsphere tour.  I don't think there's any need to bring US dollars - I brought euro as I live in Ireland and I'm sure sterling would be fine.  As far as I remember the hotels took credit cards and I would think most decent restaurants would too.  Beer was cheap, wine was expensive and mostly awful (Great Wall was good).  Finally, on all tours that don't include lunch or dinner I budget £40/$50 a day and 10 less if lunch is included.  This usually works well overall and I usually have a bit left over.

Which tour are you thinking of doing?

Cheers,

Bob

jwb
  • (Member)
(Member)
I visited China with JY in 2011.

All hotels we used and the boat for the Yangtze cruise accepted credit cards. I didn't need to use my credit card elsewhere but others who wished to buy expensive items did without problem.

The need for Chinese currency depends on your personal needs and how much you want to buy. But all extras at hotels I paid using credit card and day to day needs were relatively modest as all meals were included. The tour manager helped a lot to enable us to obtain Chinese currency and to change back to pounds at the end. It's a good idea to make sure any notes you do take are in pristine condition so that exchanges do not refuse them.

I found no need for US Dollars but they may be easier to exchange than Sterling

Hope this is of some help with your preparations to visit this truly fascinating country.

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Mick,

Nice to hear from you!  On the JY Inspirational China tour, all meals were included so a minimal amount of yuan was needed for drinks etc.  I changed money there - I think the hotels had change facilities; it wasn't a problem anyhow.  For the Roof of the World you'd need more as I don't think all meals are included - and this may be the same if you're doing a Travelsphere tour.  I don't think there's any need to bring US dollars - I brought euro as I live in Ireland and I'm sure sterling would be fine.  As far as I remember the hotels took credit cards and I would think most decent restaurants would too.  Beer was cheap, wine was expensive and mostly awful (Great Wall was good).  Finally, on all tours that don't include lunch or dinner I budget £40/$50 a day and 10 less if lunch is included.  This usually works well overall and I usually have a  bit left over.

Which tour are you thinking of doing?

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks Bob,

Its actually the Travelsphere version we are doing but looks very similar to the JY version. Its not while November but as always like to plan ahead.

Mick

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'jwb' wrote:

I visited China with JY in 2011.

All hotels we used and the boat for the Yangtze cruise accepted credit cards. I didn't need to use my credit card elsewhere but others who wished to buy expensive items did without problem.

The need for Chinese currency depends on your personal needs and how much you want to buy. But all extras at hotels I paid using credit card and day to day needs were relatively modest as all meals were included. The tour manager helped a lot to enable us to obtain Chinese currency and to change back to pounds at the end. It's a good idea to make sure any notes you do take are in pristine condition so that exchanges do not refuse them.

I found no need for US Dollars but they may be easier to exchange than Sterling

Hope this is of some help with your preparations to visit this truly fascinating country.

Thanks JWB,

That's very useful especially the cruise as its included on our trip.

Mick