GinaL
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, anyone been on the Istrian Coast holiday? Was wondering what the beach is like and swimming in the sea. I understand the beach is pebble , but no mention if it is level or sloping. I have weak ankles and find difficulty getting in and out of the sea on some pebble beaches. I find it is sometimes not firm enough underfoot and the pebbles just slip away as you walk on them.

Would appreciate any feedback re this and also comments re water temperature. I see the hotel has 2 pools but I just love swimming in the sea where possible. Any comments re the above or experience of this holiday in general would be very much appreciated (hotel, trips, location, area etc). I was thinking of maybe going first week in September 2013 or mid June.

Thanks.

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi GinaL,

Yes i have been on this holiday. overall it was excellent. I had a paddle in the sea but as it was a pebble beach i really didn't want to do anything more vigorous. Excursions are fantastic. Some (Plitvice) maybe a bit too much if you have mobility issues. The pebbles are easy to navigate if you have flip flops on. There is normally a barbecue cruise to one of the remoter islands. This is a fantastic swimming opportunity. The water is warm, the boat is agile, so you will enjoy yourself without a doubt. I don't know which hotel you will be using but i stayed in Hotel Mimosa. I think it is a 3 star although personally i wouldnt give it that rating. Rooms are basic, they dont have a kettle and air con is NOT included. This is my only real criticism of the tour. Food is good.

any more questions, let me know.

Mark

Bosuncat
(Member)
'marks' wrote:

Hi GinaL,

Yes i have been on this holiday. overall it was excellent. I had a paddle in the sea but as it was a pebble beach i really didn't want to do anything more vigorous. Excursions are fantastic. Some (Plitvice) maybe a bit too much if you have mobility issues. The pebbles are easy to navigate if you have flip flops on. There is normally a barbecue cruise to one of the remoter islands. This is a fantastic swimming opportunity. The water is warm, the boat is agile, so you will enjoy yourself without a doubt. I don't know which hotel you will be using but i stayed in Hotel Mimosa. I think it is a 3 star although personally i wouldnt give it that rating. Rooms are basic, they dont have a kettle and air con is NOT included. This is my only real criticism of the tour. Food is good.

Mark

Just You are using the Valamar Sanifor now. Really nice hotel, good buffet and lovely staff. The rooms usually don't have balconies (only the seaview ones on the ground floor, but the view is only very partial). No tea and coffee in the room, but there is a mini bar and really everything you need to be honest. Plenty of room in the one I had. I will only say that the shower was small with quite a deep step down to the bathroom floor. Just something to be aware of. There are only 2 floors above the ground level so its not a high rise hotel.

The hotel is nicely laid out and spotlessly clean. All meals are buffet. There is a nice atrium area to sit out in to have a drink if you wish. I didnt use the indoor pool but the outdoor one is lovely with a wonderful view.

Once you go out of the hotel there is a short flight of steps that go down to the path through the pinewoods onto the front. The Island of Cres is right in front of you. The beach directly in front of the hotel is very rocky with a fairly steep drop down to the sea (which incidentally is crystal clear). Once you get down onto the main path (no cars) its about a 10 minute walk down to the harbour. All fairly level walking on a decent path. There is also the Dotto train to use, just stick your hand out and it will stop. It will take you all the way round to the camping beach if you want, and stops wherever you want to.

There are a few small beaches on your way down to the harbour. Fairly small pebbles (yes plastic shoes/flip flops needed) with steps down to them. The camping beach at the far end of the resort has no steps down to it.

The walk down to the harbour is really nice, lots of small road side stalls, bars (a GREAT ice cream place) etc. The main part of the harbour is very small, exhange bureau there, but I changed money in the hotel, and thats where you pick up the boat for the Island Picnic to Cres (great day).

The trips are really nice, but as stated Plitivice (although amazing) is a VERY long day and lots of steps and slopes to negotiate. I had been before so didnt do it this time. I have mobility problems to some degree but managed okay.

Anything else you want to know?

Sue2
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi, I went on this holiday earlier this year. The hotel they use now is a 4 star and very good. The food there is excellent. Rabac village is about 10 minute walk along the coast path and there is a liitle "train" which passes up and down to the village. There are some small pebble beaches near the hotel but mostly its quite rocky. both the indoor and outdoor pools are very nice. I only did the boat trip but those that did the longer ones came back with good reports. There are quite a lot of steps up to the entrance of the hotel from the beach/coast path.
GinaL
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

'marks' wrote:

Hi GinaL,

Mark

Just You are using the Valamar Sanifor now. Really nice hotel, good buffet and lovely staff. The rooms usually don't have balconies (only the seaview ones on the ground floor, but the view is only very partial). No tea and coffee in the room, but there is a mini bar and really everything you need to be honest. Plenty of room in the one I had. I will only say that the shower was small with quite a deep step down to the bathroom floor. Just something to be aware of. There are only 2 floors above the ground level so its not a high rise hotel.

The hotel is nicely laid out and spotlessly clean. All meals are buffet. There is a nice atrium area to sit out in to have a drink if you wish. I didnt use the indoor pool but the outdoor one is lovely with a wonderful view.

Once you go out of the hotel there is a short flight of steps that go down to the path through the pinewoods onto the front. The Island of Cres is right in front of you. The beach directly in front of the hotel is very rocky with a fairly steep drop down to the sea (which incidentally is crystal clear). Once you get down onto the main path (no cars) its about a 10 minute walk down to the harbour. All fairly level walking on a decent path. There is also the Dotto train to use, just stick your hand out and it will stop. It will take you all the way round to the camping beach if you want, and stops wherever you want to.

There are a few small beaches on your way down to the harbour. Fairly small pebbles (yes plastic shoes/flip flops needed) with steps down to them. The camping beach at the far end of the resort has no steps down to it.

The walk down to the harbour is really nice, lots of small road side stalls, bars (a GREAT ice cream place) etc. The main part of the harbour is very small, exhange bureau there, but I changed money in the hotel, and thats where you pick up the boat for the Island Picnic to Cres (great day).

The trips are really nice, but as stated Plitivice (although amazing) is a VERY long day and lots of steps and slopes to negotiate. I had been before so didnt do it this time. I have mobility problems to some degree but managed okay.

Anything else you want to know?

Thanks very much for all the extremely useful information, which has been a great help. Did you go on the day trip to Venice, and if so how was it?