Debedee
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everyone,

I have just joined the site after deciding I want to travel solo. I'm a 43 year old female and have never ever travelled alone before. My kids have all grown up (well almost) and I've recently come out of a long term relationship (can you tell I am actually trying to justify myself here!).

I really want to travel solo, I'm not the most confident person in the world but get on easily with people. Can anyone suggest the best way to ease myself into it? I wouldn't feel comfortable hopping on a plane to India for example but in a year's time - who knows !

Thanks

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello

I have just returned from my 8th JY tour, I am 53 I would suggest that you sit and look at the holiday's that are on offer and go where your heart leads you. My first tour was USA, I just went for it. Have a look at My interview online here under the name of Nixon or there is one from lovely Lesley that might give you an idea of what goes on. If I can help any more just ask.

Cindy

Annam
  • (Member)
(Member)
With JY though you are travelling on your own, you will never be "alone"

I'm 43 and have done about 10 JY holidays (including India!). Most people are nervous first time - don't be.

Usually you will meet other travellers in your group at the airport and the tour manager is usually at the check in point.

Women do tend to out number the men. Ages ranges have been between 20's to late 70's (mainly 50's upwards) but don't let this put you off - people mix regardless of age differences. Small group size I've been on is 13 and largest is 40.

Pick a holiday that appeals to you and you will have a great time.

Anna

Sue44
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Debedee' wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have just joined the site after deciding I want to travel solo. I'm a 43 year old female and have never ever travelled alone before. My kids have all grown up (well almost) and I've recently come out of a long term relationship (can you tell I am actually trying to justify myself here!).

I really want to travel solo, I'm not the most confident person in the world but get on easily with people. Can anyone suggest the best way to ease myself into it? I wouldn't feel comfortable hopping on a plane to India for example but in a year's time - who knows !

Thanks

Hi Debbie

I joined the site at the end of last year, i decided it was time to have a holiday. I am the same not very confident so took the plunge and booked the Discovery Weekend to Leeds in May, just too see how I would feel on my own. Take the plunge if you decide t go to Leeds let me know it would be great to meet you, by the way I am 44, from Birmingham

Bridget Jane
(Member)
Hi Debedee,

I went on my first Just you holiday last year after TWO YEARS of dithering. ( I lost my husband four and a half years ago). I considered doing one of the introductory weekends. Then I thought of doing a short european holiday. Then I thought 'Oh s-- it' and just went for a big one. KENYA. It was absolutely fantastic. For me, a holiday of a lifetime. I only regret not taking the plunge sooner. The other travellers were so friendly. No one was left out or left feeling on their own at any time and the tour manager was brilliant. I am off on my next Just you holiday to PERU in six weeks time and can't wait!! If you take my advise, don't bother with any half measures. Just pick your dream destination and GO FOR IT!! You will not be sorry and will come home planning your next trip.

Lain
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi there

I am 42 and joined this site a few months back as always end up going away with family or going to stay with friends abroad but not the same. I went through everything in my head, thought of discovery weekends but then ones that fancied were a way out plus thought the cost could go towards main holiday. After reading a lot of views of other people in same boat on here, I decided to just go for it and booked about a month ago to Kenya in March, as wanted to do something sooner rather than later before I chickened out.

I am nervous but really looking forward to something have always fancied, and thought 'what's the worst that can happen'!

I will have to let you know how it goes, but I now have contact details of someone else on same trip. which they arrange if mutual, so will at least break the ice a bit.

Good luck!

annholmes
(Member)
Are there any ancient Britains going on singles holidays I`m female and very ancient and still active and love a laugh
patricebry
(Member)
'annholmes' wrote:

Are there any ancient Britains going on singles holidays I`m female and very ancient and still active and love a laugh

Hi Ann,

The answer is yes!! I'm an ancient Britain (mid seventies) and I'm going on my 8th JY holiday in Sept. (China) and I know there are other people of my age and older going! When I went to Americas Parks & Canyons there were 3 people in their eighties!! In my case I'm doing as much as I can while I can!! So don't worry about age!

Regards, Pat

lesley07
(Member)
'Debedee' wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Hi

I agree with others who have suggested you just take the plunge!!! I did this with a trip to China in 2010. It was a great experience-very well organised and I met a lot of nice people. Went to USA last year with JU and have booked to go to India in October. My advice is go for it!!

Lesley

sontab
  • (Member)
(Member)
'annholmes' wrote:

I am (or at least feel when I see the ages on here) ancient at 67, will be 68 when I travel.

I lost my husband November 2010 and decided if I didn't join something like this I would just stay at home. So, I jumped in at the deep end, booked for China - a place I have long wanted to visit - with the add on for the 22nd August.

Am I nervous? Yes I am as I have never done anything like this before but one has to start somewhere. Still looking for others going on the same trip leaving from Manchester.

:)

newdoreen
(Member)
'patricebry' wrote:

'annholmes' wrote:

Hi Ann,

The answer is yes!! I'm an ancient Britain (mid seventies) and I'm going on my 8th JY holiday in Sept. (China) and I know there are other people of my age and older going! When I went to Americas Parks & Canyons there were 3 people in their eighties!! In my case I'm doing as much as I can while I can!! So don't worry about age!

Regards, Pat

Hi Ann, I am also an Ancient Britain ( I like that ) 77 years old and still plenty of life left in me yet ,This will be my first singles holiday but I have gone the whole hog and booked for Wonders of China with add on cruise departing 25th April. I am also going to the discovery weekend in Bournemouth 17th Feb. My real hope is to have fellow travellers with a good sense of humer

I will be travelling from Minehead Somerset, where are you living?

regards Doreen

Peter Jersey
(Member)
Hello Ann

I'm an 'ancient' but who cares? I'm 72 and going on Treasures of Andalucia on 23rd Feb. I am also going to China with the Yangtze Add On on 12th Sept and I will be a year older then!! Age makes no difference on a Just You holiday. We all like to travel and that is the secret. Never a dull moment and lots of laughs along the way. Pick your holiday and go and ENJOY.

Best wishes

Peter:thumbup::thumbup:

katiep
  • (Member)
(Member)
I read your post with interest - I'm considering trying a 'singles' holiday as I am desperate for a break but, like you, a little worried about what it would be like! I hope you'll let us know what you decide and how it goes - it might encourage me to book something!! Good luck!

'Debedee' wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Dot Boyd
(Member)
'annholmes' wrote:

Hello. I´m afraid I don't have any advice for you as I have just booked my first JY holiday yesterday. I am going to La Costa de la Luz on 8th May. I too am ancient now I guess as I am 75!! But like you very active., I do 10 pin bowling in leagues, also Pilates and swimming. My husband died three years ago, and although I have some single friends, they´re not always available for a holiday. So I´m taking the plunge! Hope it works out OK, but from all that I´ve read here, I´m sure it will.

Have you booked anything yet

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello to you all 'ancients'!! To me no one is 'ancient'. What is age? It is just a number. You are only as old as you feel. I too am going to Costa de la Luz on 22 May and am really looking forward to it. Dot, perhaps you can let me know what you thought of Costa de la Luz as you are going before me. I am sure you will have a great holiday and will want to book the next one when you return. Have fun.

Best wishes

Jaya