leeC
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julia.

I've just read "disappointed" concerning the latest cancelled holiday.

How about a new forum called something like "last chance to book".

Once of the authors in the Say Hello forum has suggested that people now tend to book later and a heads-up that there is only, say, a week left before a holiday is cancelled could save the holiday.

Just a thought!

Lee

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Lee,

Let me start by saying that this is something that has been talked about here in the past and the reason we haven't done it is that we have been reluctant to turn the community into a place to push sales. The community is here for our members to talk about their holidays, share hints and tips, ask us questions and of course, for JY Will to tease everyone with what his team of holiday creators are working on.

That being said, we do listen to our members about how we can improve things here on the Community - for example, the 'Share your travel tips' board came out of a suggestion from one of our members. So after having a word with one of my colleagues, we could certainly put something together that we could add to the community on a regular basis - it's just whether or not it is something of interest to the majority of our users.

So now I'm reaching out to the wider community - please let us know if you would like us to post a "Last Chance to book" thread on a regular basis. We'll take a look at what you say and go from there!

Kindest regards,

Julia

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
JULIA

I am normally one of the first to book a tour, I do not book late, since using JY and with many tours under my belt only 1 has been cancelled due to numbers.

Cindy

Toni2909
(Member)
I would definitely like to see that, Julia. I can't book anything else at the moment until some family health issues have been resolved, but then there are a few options I am interested in and a thread like that might just prompt me to get my act together and book something!

Toni

SKW2962
(Member)
Lee,

Nice idea "a week left before a holiday is cancelled ", but the downside is that this message would normally come out at 13(ish) weeks before a holiday. Someone booking would then in that week have to find the whole cost of the holiday as full payment is due at 12 weeks. I think such early payment of the cost in full is why people wait until later - money is not tied up three months before a holiday and it gives people longer to save the full amount.

nige0556
(Member)
I think you'd need to say how many more people you need - someone might decide to book and then be told a few days later that it's still being dropped
Jean77
(Member)
Hi Julia

I can understand why you may be reluctant to start a 'last chance to book ' thread on the community board, but is there any reason why this couldn't appear somewhere on the general website? I've lost out on a couple of holidays in the past by leaving it too late. and the holiday has been withdrawn or fully booked.

Jean

Yellowbudgie
(Member)
Re : Cancelled Holidays

Julia,

A "Last Chance to book" thread is a good idea. Would it be seen by more people if it was on the Home page rather than on the Community board, as many people would perhaps not look at the latter.

Thanks for your reply today re Croatia. I know it's very early but as I'm here, can I ask the same question about my other holiday - Walking in Ireland 9th June - in case that has also been cleared to run and I can get the port hotel booked.

Rob

stevmag
(Member)
What happens if a holiday is shown with last chance to book and I book it. Then nobody else does and JY still cancel it. You would have to state that there is no guarantee a 'last chance to book' holiday will run so there is no point in my opinion.
sallyc
(Member)
I'm like Cindy and tend to book early and have only had one holiday out of the 22 I've done cancelled due to low numbers. I wonder whether this could be tied in with being able to see how many people were booked for a trip at any paticular time along with the maximum / minimum numbers required. Then people could see how quickly their possible options were selling and those that were likely to be cancelled. Even if it were just updated every week people would be able to keep an eye on their choices.
mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bearing in mind the number of requests from people wanting to know group numbers for specific holidays, I think that a link showing this information (together with the minimum numbers required for a holiday to run) would be extremely useful. It gets around the issue of JYs understandable reluctance to turn the community page into a place to push sales, whilst giving customers an indication of the group size and whether a holiday is likely to run or not.

Mike

Lucinda
(Member)
Personally I think this would be a great idea and maybe as previously suggested, the main website might be a better location as this would reach a wider number of people and thus you wouldn't be 'pushing' it on the community. Everyones different when booking holidays, so I don't think stumping up the whole cost would matter to some. Some other websites also use the term 'on request' once your ticket allocation has gone back which thus allows us to know that there maybe extra costs/difficulties incurred etc
Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
'robv102' wrote:

Re : Cancelled Holidays

Julia,

A "Last Chance to book" thread is a good idea. Would it be seen by more people if it was on the Home page rather than on the Community board, as many people would perhaps not look at the latter.

Thanks for your reply today re Croatia. I know it's very early but as I'm here, can I ask the same question about my other holiday - Walking in Ireland 9th June - in case that has also been cleared to run and I can get the port hotel booked.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Walking Ireland's WIld Atlantic way ont he 9th June has been cleared to operate and at the moment there are 18 of you booked with just 7 places left.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Kezzer46
(Member)
I think the way that JY currently manages the holidays works fine. From what i have read, very few holidays get cancelled. Whilst it might be a good idea to promote it on the website when a holiday is about to be closed, I think to have that information in the forum would be a waste of time, as there are far more people who book holidays and do not using the forum.

Personally I have to save for each holiday I take as I don't have much disposable income - so I book in advance so I have time to save. For those people who choose to book late, one would assume that the money is not so much of an issue.

Perhaps a better option would be to indicate on the site or in the brochure the minimum numbers needed for each holiday...that way when people who use the forum ask Julia about numbers - they would already have an indication of what is needed for the holiday to go ahead.

sjm533
(Member)
For what they are worth - here are my thoughts - on the holiday information page, under Status, there often appears the number of places left. Why not just amend Status to say something like 28-30 needed 20 booked?

Sylvia

Sue Southampton
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

I'm like Cindy and tend to book early and have only had one holiday out of the 22 I've done cancelled due to low numbers. I wonder whether this could be tied in with being able to see how many people were booked for a trip at any paticular time along with the maximum / minimum numbers required. Then people could see how quickly their possible options were selling and those that were likely to be cancelled. Even if it were just updated every week people would be able to keep an eye on their choices.

I think this would be the best idea. I only have 2 booked on my trip

to st lucia so am expecting it to be cancelled. I keep asking if any

more have booked so it would be useful to just see for myself if

any more people have booked so I can be prepared either way.

also what the lowest number would be needed to run it.

sue southampton