fraj1
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Am interested to know others experiences of doing flight upgrades on trips with JustYou. A post a few years ago said the process was unsatisfactory in that they were unable to choose seats, and price uplift was way more than if they’d purchased direct from airline. Be good to know if these issues have been ironed out or is the process still not perfect? 

Also be good to know what sort of proportion of a group you might expect would upgrade? Premium economy or Business Class. 

Many thanks

From a prospective upgrader!

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I have been using JY since 2006 and have travelled the world with them, I have never upgraded. I would rather put the money towards another holiday or spending money, I do know some people do upgrade but the vast asmount of the tour group will be in the cheap seats so to speak. Of course if you wish to upgrade then that is your choice.

Cindy

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi,

I have been using JY for the last 10 years, and always upgrade to Business Class on my Long Haul flights. Sadly, you do pay way over the odds for this upgrade, and sometimes more than your fellow BClass passengers! I appreciate that JY mark up these seats, but on one occasion I paid £1000 more than someone else! It doesn't seem to matter how far in advance you book. You are not able to speak to the Aviation Department direct, so I'm afraid if you do want to upgrade, then you have to pay the price. I always request the exact seats that I want, and on the whole (I normally book at least 6 months in advance) I have managed to get them, but not always!

I upgrade, not for the food and booze, but if it's an overnight flight, to hopefully get some sleep on a flat bed. You also manage to Fast Track through Security (sometimes not so fast!) and use the airlines' lounge. Anything that will make your holiday better and stress-free is worth the money, if you have it!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Hils

LizzieK
(Member)
Hi

I have done flight upgrades on a few long haul overnight flights with JY.  I do not think the increase in price is excessive, indeed when I asked for a quote for an upgrade with another company at the same time as with JY the other company was double that of JY.  I have not tried to do a comparison with a direct booking so can't comment on this.

I usually try to check in online, which I'd recommend, and have managed to select my seat.  This has sometimes necessitated getting a booking number from JY but not always, and of course there are not always many left to choose from.

On some holidays I have been the only traveller in the group with an upgrade but on my last trip there were 8 of us. The Tour Managers always make sure you know where to wait to meet the rest of the group as you disembark and some of them are so fast they're off the plane before Business class passengers so there are no worries about losing the rest of your group.

It is expensive but........

Liz

Jellifer
(Member)
Hi Fraj1

I upgraded for both New Zealand and South Africa. Both times it took an incredibly long time to get a quote from the Aviation department. I went for Business Class both times, was expensive but worth it long haul in my view. A couple of others were also in biz for NZ along with a few in PE. For South Africa I think a couple of people went for PE and that was it. 

I travelled to Australia in November and didn't go with JY, the sole reason being the amount they wanted to upgrade. I went instead with a company that lets you buy the tour only and add your own flights. 

Am booked for Antarctica at Christmas and waiting for an upgrade quote on that one too!

Happy travels

intrepid traveller
(Member)
Hi.  I usually upgrade to ‘Club’ when travelling with BA.  The lounge is so much more peaceful.  It just adds something good  to my holiday.  Also if flying overnight with whichever airline  then for me  the extra cost is worth it to have a flat bed.  

I have never pre-chosen my seats with JY, didn’t know we could but definitely something I would like to do. 

I am not normally the only one in the group to upgrade. 

Happy hols, wherever and however!

SarahS
(Member)
I agree with previous comments re pricing. However the recent trend seems to be for upgrades to be included in the group booking. On Malaysian Air and Air Canada flights last year I was unable to access my booking, although in both cases my seat requests had been honoured.  One word of warning, if flying BA,  have a close look at the BA business cabin layout if considering an upgrade. The cabin is very cramped, and unless paying the highest price, seats cannot be requested at booking. For a premium, £60 - £70 each way, seats can be precooked one month before departure, but not using a group PNR. Similary, online check-in is not possible, so you have to take whatever seat is available. From past experience, BA is the one airline where I would never upgrade to business. Comfort and service fall far short of competitors. Even the premium economy is inferior to other airlines.
fraj1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you everyone for your help. It’s reassuring to hear things have improved from the last post I read and that selecting seats in principle works. Have never flown Business Class so as it’s an overnighted think I’ll go for it! Thanks again!
janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
The only time that I upgraded was to Lille on Eurostar, never did it again as everyone else was back in Standard Class. Never upgraded on planes, although I did email Singapore Airlines for window seats which they gave me.

Jan

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi fraj1

My experience with upgrades is that only a few number do this (less than six). I have never bought an upgrade from JY as the prices quoted for NZ and Alaska were above what I was willing to pay ie same cost as the holiday! However, last year on my return from the Rockies Spectacular in January, Air Canada emailed me offering an upgrade which I accepted as the cost was very reasonable and it meant I had a flat bed for the overnight flight.

Regards

Sylvia

DavidG
(Member)
Things can change. I am booked for the Japan tour and I was quoted a high price, but about what I expected based on previous experience.

I later found that JY had put on an extra departure at a more convenient date, so I decided to change and asked for the cost of an upgrade. This was about HALF of the previous quote, but the staff member advised me to "accept quickly"! It was obviously a special offer.

Sue2
  • (Member)
(Member)
I have upgraded with JY from the US and it was expensive. I have since upgraded with others and I have found and been told the price can vary from day to day depending on the time and how many seats have been sold. For instance on my next long haul I have upgraded (not JY) and the price dropped £700 in 3 days . It's a bit of a lottery.
fraj1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for all the replies - I have booked the upgrade and yes it was more than I expected comparing it to the online price available but hopefully it’ll mean I can sleep in the flat bed as the day following looks jam-packed with adventure! Be my first time in BC so looking forward to the experience!
JohnL
  • (Member)
(Member)
JY don't help themselves. I emailed on 20 Feb enquiring about flight upgrades to New Zealand but have had no response whatsoever & it's now 10 days later.
Moderator2
(Member)
Hi JohnL,

I understand that a member of our JY team has now made contact with you over the phone.

Kindest Regards,

Amy

Super Star
(Member)
Hello everybody

Here is an alternative suggestion to upgrading.

On my longhaul trip last year (first one with JY) I asked if I could book a flight one day earlier with an airport pick up and an extra night in the beautiful hotel the group was going to stay in. This worked perfectly and I had a great night's sleep to be in good form for the joys of the first day of the holiday. This was hugely cheaper than an upgrade and I was able to acclimatise. Not having travelled with the group did have some disadvantages but it didnt take very long to get to know everone.

Stella

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Stella

Where did you travel to? Your idea is a good one and I will bear this in mind for any future long haul trips.

Regards

Jaya

Super Star
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Stella

Where did you travel to?  Your idea is a good one and I will bear this in mind for any future long haul trips.

Regards

Jaya

Hello Jaya

I went to Myanmar in March 2017. 

Enjoyed my extra afternoon walking, taking photographs (my hobby) and investigating the shopping Mall opposite the hotel which was quite a cultural shock. Not at all what I had expected. Tasted some inhabitual local delicacies for evening dinner and had an early night.

Next morning my lovely TM Branwen made sure I knew what time and where I was to meet up with the group.

JY put my special requests in place with great efficiency;  it was a very good experience which I would repeat.

Stella