sue97
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Going to the Heart of Alpine Europe as my friend has cancelled. Don't like flying alone so need a bit of reassurance from a seasoned traveller please.
Conniecmc
(Member)
Hi,

You will be just fine, I travel alone 98% of the time. Grab a good book, or headphones for your music, watch a movie while on the plane, of if you just want to sit back and close your eyes, make sure you take some earplugs, I never travel with out them.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Sue

Don't panic you will be fine, I was going to Tuscany a few years ago and my friend had to cancel due to bereavement . You will be ok. I have travelled the world, have my 10th JY tour booked for this year and 11th for next year. I do NOT like flying, but I just think with out flying I would not had a great time seeing all the sights I have seen. So therefor I just grit my teeth and get on with the journey. I wish you well.

if there is anything else I can help you with just ask.

Cindy

christine johnson
(Member)
'sue97' wrote:

Going to the Heart of Alpine Europe as my friend has cancelled. Don't like flying alone so need a bit of reassurance from a seasoned traveller please.

Hi

my name is Chris and I an just thinking of booking this trip i am assuming we won't actually be alone but in a group of people. Please don't worry maybe i will see you there if i can actually make the decision to book !!

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Sue,

Dont panic - You wont actually be travelling alone, you will be travelling with some like minded people, some of which you will have already made friends with before you get on the plane. Just make sure you attach your Just You luggage tag to your hand luggage, and you are bound to bump into some of your fellow travellers.

Like the others, I usually have in my hand luggage, some stuff to keep me entertained, ie book, music, crosswords etc. If on offer I check up on what films are being show on board the flight in advance, as often they are new films only just out. In no time the flight will have landed and your holiday will begin.

I hope you have a fabulous holiday.

Kezzer

sjm533
  • (Member)
(Member)
'sue97' wrote:

Hi Sue,

The first time I flew alone, some 25 years after my last flight, I was scared stiff. When I boarded as the crew greeted everyone I said, very quietly, to one of them, I am not happy being alone. Two or three times during the flight that crew member came asked if I was OK. Very reassuring. It was a BA flight, so it might be worth you doing the same. Take a book or iPod anyway. The flight is not so long, and by the time you have had your tea and biscuits you'll be well on the way.

You'll be OK.

Sylvia

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
I went on this trip last September to the Heart of Alpine Europe. Started from Terminal 5 at Heathrow, so much to see and eat that the actual flight by BA was horrendous- 2 hour flight with half a wrap and a drink. John Major was in the front with a few 'heavies' that looked at you. We bypassed a lot of other planes waiting for take off :P

Loved all of the holiday, get your passport stamped at Vaduz, beware of cheese and honey in your hand luggage coming home- some people did not realise.

The train to St Moritz was spectacular, snow on top of one of the mountains with a snowball fight and one of the churches had the most beautiful murals of the Apostles and Saints. Quantum of Solace will be more watchable after Bregenz and Feldkirch.

The different modes of transport were so vast and different that your feet hardly touch the ground.

Our flight home was even worse 2 hours late, a muffin and a drink. You expect more from a cheaper flight company not BA.

I added 3 more countries and a load of firsts to my travels. My non existent German became very good.

All in all, a great holiday, you will love it :thumbup:

Jan.

JSP
  • (Member)
(Member)
All the above is good advice. When you look around the airport initially you think you are the only one travelling alone, but look again and realise you are not and you can do it!
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Jan

Things have changed and you no longer get a 'meal' on short haul flights. You are lucky to get a sandwich / muffin / drink and not having to pay extra for it. I personally do not think this makes the flight 'horrendous'. This is my personal opinion and I am not saying that everyone should think the same way as me.

Regards

Jaya

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Jaya,

Wish they told us as I was not the only one complaining about lack of meal. Most of the short haul that I have been on have a wide range of sandwiches, crisps and cake plus different range of drinks, yes I know you pay for it, but if you were vegetarian then you got nothing on this flight. I think also that because John Major was on the flight, we were forgotten. I did look up the flight but there was nothing to tell us even what airplane they were using or what meals to be expected. I would have had dinner at T5 if I had known.

Jan

sjm533
  • (Member)
(Member)
'janib' wrote:

Hello Jaya,

Wish they told us as I was not the only one complaining about lack of meal. Most of the short haul that I have been on have a wide range of sandwiches, crisps and cake plus different range of drinks, yes I know you pay for it, but if you were vegetarian then you got nothing on this flight. I think also that because John Major was on the flight, we were forgotten. I did look up the flight but there was nothing to tell us even what airplane they were using or what meals to be expected. I would have had dinner at T5 if I had known.

Jan

Hi Jan and Jaya,

I have always had something offered on BA flights, even on Domestic. One early morning flight from Glasgow to Gatwick we had a hot breakfast, and usually there is a choice of sandwiches, crisps, cake and plenty of drinks, no extra charge (included in the fare probably). Admittedly this is not a meal, but the sandwiches are quite filling; and I think it all depends on the airline and how long the flight takes.

Sylvia

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jan

At least now you know that most short haul flights only offer you a sandwich / muffin. If you inform the airline that you are a vegetarian before you travel then you may be lucky to get a vegetarian sandwich though this is not always guaranteed. I can understand a bit about how you and your fellow travellers felt about lack of a meal especially if you were looking forward to getting something. Perhaps more information should be given out about what refreshments to expect on a flight so travellers can be prepared beforehand - either by taking something on board or having a meal before boarding. Let us hope that your next flight will be more pleasant.

Regards

Jaya

daveJB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Most european flights are between 2 and 4+ hours, I find the food on these short haul flights

adequate also by the time the food is served and eaten the flight is almost over plus on BA

flights if you require anything else it is available.

Dave.

Kezzer46
(Member)
No food on a flight!! That's a shame, I've always treated it as a kind of Bush Tucker Trial. The internal flights in China provided some of the worst looking food I've ever seen or eaten, with blue thing that turned out to be an egg and something in a roll none of us could determine...however it enabled the group I was travelling with to bond unitedly lol

Kezzer

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I normally eat at the airport before I board the plane, as I am a vegetarian on the flights you can be served some weird meals, on long haul flights they normally serve the vegetarians first, so that's a bonus.

I remember once I had informed the airline I was vegetarian and was given a cheese and ham sandwich, my reply was can I have a vegetarian sandwich to which the flight attendant said just take the ham out... Some people just don't get it when it comes to being a NO meat eater!..

When I travel with the family ie through say thomson etc I will NOT pay to eat a meal or snack on a plane or pay to sit together or pay for extra luggage allowance

Cindy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Oh Kezzer don't be telling me that - I'm off to China in Sept! I never expect airline food to be good and it usually isn't but that doesn't sound encouraging at all! Ah well, by all accounts there is so much food on offer for the rest of the tour it'll probably do me no harm to give the airline food a miss!

Cheers,

Bob

ArchieKA
(Member)
I always eat before I fly just in case to be honest. My last long haul to the States was with BA in Premium Economy and yes we did get a dinner, but only a sandwich before we landed, and it was a long flight. That seems to be they way things are I am afraid, a friend of mine got nothing on a 7 hour internal U.S flight, I cannot remember the airline.

Keith

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello All,

Sounds like some scary flights out there 😛 When I flew Air France to Buenos Aires and back from Rio, there was a special set up in the middle of the plane with drinks, sandwiches, cake and snacks so that you did not have to bother the flight crew during the night flight. Best flights ever :thumbup:

Jan

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Times have certainly changed and most airlines are trying to save money in any way they can. I remember the days when you always got a hot meal on short haul flights - albeit it was not always nice. Even Thomsons and Monarch used to provide meals. When you fly from Gatwick to Jersey with BA you only get a packet of crisps or a pack of biscuits and a drink - but the flight is so short that it is nice of BA to at least provide this! I guess it is best to either have a meal before you board or take something with you to be on the safe side.

Jaya