Peony
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
What appealed to me about this trip was the opportunity to visit an area of Italy I hadn’t been to before, which included evening meals and with an itinerary that had a daily programme.  With optional tours on the two “days at leisure”, this suited me well but also others in the group who wanted a day or two at leisure.  I have to say the trip did not disappoint in any aspect.

Marsha, our Tour Director, linked up with the group at Gatwick and flew out with us.  The transfer to the hotel was about an hour’s drive with views of the Adriatic across the rich land that hosted olive groves and vineyards and all sorts of fruit and vegetables that would feature on our menu during the week ahead.  Throughout the tour Marsha was on hand to help and advise and guided us through the week in a friendly and professional manner.  Her knowledge and love of the region certainly shone through.

The Hotel Sierra Silvana is set high up above Fasano in a small village that hosts many of the Trulli houses I wanted to see.  Service at the hotel was very good in all respects.  A menu for the evening meal was on the table at breakfast so we could select our choice.  It made a pleasant change not to have a buffet style dinner and table service was quick and efficient.  There was a pleasant bar and terrace area to relax after dinner each evening and we were fortunate that the hotel had nightly entertainment at the time of our visit but this did not go on beyond 11pm.

Having arrived fairly early in the day, gave everyone free time until the welcome drink and dinner so I took the opportunity to have a walk around the village.  It is a very clean and well-kept village and hosts a couple of small supermarkets, bars and a church.  I felt very safe wandering around on my own.

Our first day on the tour set the trend for the remainder of the week, with visits to picture postcard hilltop towns and villages with houses and balconies brimming with flowers.  One of the highlights of the trip for me was on the third day when we visited a beautiful five-star Masseria for lunch.  The food was exceptional and included, of course, local produce.  Another highlight was the visit to Alberobello where we walked through narrow streets that are home to the ancient Trulli houses.

One of the optional tours was a visit to the town of Lecce.   Another spectacular town with impressive Baroque architecture, shops and cafes.  Marsha had recommended trying the local iced coffee (Cafee Leccese) and this was very enjoyable, together with a Pasticciotto (a delicious local pastry).

The number of Just You holidays I have done is now well into double figures but this trip certainly gets a place in my top 3.  It’s a trip I would certainly recommend and I don’t discount returning at a future date myself.

ROSE19999
(Newbie)
Thank you for such a helpful review Peony, this tour is now on my wish list!
SW18
  • (Newbie)
(Newbie)
Thank you Peony so glad you enjoyed! 

I've already booked for next May - can't wait!

willtravels
(Newbie)
Your review is top notch. 
SkyRokker
(Newbie)
Thank you for the review.  This tour is on my list and hopefully it will not be too long before I can book it.
Kind regards

Jaya

Julia26
(Member)
Hi

i have booked this for September. Looked at it for the last 2 years. Review above is great.

Catkins6
(Newbie)
Great review I'm looking foraward to my visit in June
Catkins6
(Newbie)
Thank you, I have booked this for late June and so looking forward to it.