SylviaJ
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi All

I have always shied away from currency cards and using a debit card abroad because of the many fees.

My neighbour is a BA pilot and has glowing reviews about the currency card Revolut which offers over 120 currencies with competitive exchange rates.  You load the card with GBP or Euro.

As I am off to Sweden in September where the country is almost a cashless society, I thought I would apply for Revolut.  It works via an app on your mobile.  Application involves confirming your email address, mobile phone number and photographic evidence of your identity - ie driving licence and also a selfie!  You also have to pair the account up with your bank account, create a PIN and pay some money into Revolut - min £10. Once you are accepted, a card arrives in less than the advertised 9 days.  You then have to use the card with the PIN to activate the account.

Anyone else using Revolut?

Regards

Sylvia

sjm533
(Member)
'SylviaJ' wrote:

Hi All

I have always shied away from currency cards and using a debit card abroad because of the many fees.

My neighbour is a BA pilot and has glowing reviews about the currency card Revolut which offers over 120 currencies with competitive exchange rates.  You load the card with GBP or Euro.

As I am off to Sweden in September where the country is almost a cashless society, I thought I would apply for Revolut.  It works via an app on your mobile.  Application involves confirming your email address, mobile phone number and photographic evidence of your identity - ie driving licence and also a selfie!  You also have to pair the account up with your bank account, create a PIN and pay some money into Revolut - min £10. Once you are accepted, a card arrives in less than the advertised 9 days.  You then have to use the card with the PIN to activate the account.

Anyone else using Revolut?

Regards

Sylvia

Hello Sylvia (from another one).

I looked at Revolut some months ago, at that time it did not have a banking licence and was not covered by the FSCS so I went to Starling.  This is a digital banking card, no need to load with any currency other than sterling, and provided you have money on it then it is used as a regular debit/credit card.  I have just used mine in Italy and had no problems at all.  All transactions went through in Euros and within seconds of reconnecting to the hotel WiFi the pound equivalent appeared on the screen.   The exchange rate was always above the tourist rate, I think they use the interbank rate.  I also used it successfully at an ATM with no charges.

Any questions - just ask.

Sylvia

GammaT
(Member)
Hi Sylvia, yes I have one. I have had it for about a year and it consistently gives a better exchanage rate than anyone else. I used to use FairFX but it is usually a much lower rate. Revolut works well with anyone in your contacts list and is an easy way to send money to pay someone else who has revolut. It is also very good for sending money abroad with no fees and a great exchange rate and the money only takes a day to arrive. So yes..its a thumbs up from me.
SylviaJ
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'GammaT' wrote:

Hi Sylvia, yes I have one.  I have had it for about a year and it consistently gives a better exchanage rate than anyone else.  I used to use FairFX but it is usually a much lower rate.   Revolut works well with anyone in your contacts list and is an easy way to send money to pay someone else who has revolut.  It is also very good for sending money abroad with no fees and a great exchange rate and the money only takes a day to arrive.   So yes..its a thumbs up from me.

Hi GammaT

Thanks very much for the reassurance.  

Sylvia