johnbobs1
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi there! I've just come back from a Just You tour (classic cities of Italy). Had a great time, and I thought I'd share some holiday tips with you:

1. Don't waste time in starting to chat to people. The earlier you can start to mix with people in the group, the easier it is. Look for people with ''Just You'' tags on their bags at your airport. It's a good place to get chatting if the're on the same tour as you.

2. Be security conscious. Never put all your valuables or money in one coat pocket or bag. If you have two or three zip up coat pockets, put some money in each one. Use the safe in any hotel you visit. Beware of pickpockets in popular tourist destinations when your tour guide tells you to be aware.

3. Never be without a bottle of water if you're visiting somewhere hot!

4. If you're staying at more than one hotel on your tour, you never need to unpack everything from your suitcase - just what you'll need for the time you're at each hotel.  Have a system of packing dirty clothes either underneath or on top of the clean clothes in your suitcase. 

5. Don't bring more than one towel. Hotels provide them (obviously!).

6. Don't be afraid to split from the group if you don't want to join in an optional excursion and need some time to yourself. I had a day to myself to recharge my batteries and it did me the world of good!

7. Talking of recharging batteries; Buy a two pin adaptor (if going to Europe) at the airport to keep your phone charged up at the hotel! 

8. Try to be punctual. You'll stay in the other guests good books, and your tour manager will be happy! They have a tough job.

9. Remember to tip waiters / hotel staff / taxi drivers etc if you're in a ''tipping'' country. Find out what the general expected tipped rate it.

10. Find out how to say hello, good morning and thankyou in the local language. It's good to be polite to the locals!

11. Have a good time!

Dyuti
  • (Member)
(Member)
'johnbobs1' wrote:

Hi there! I've just come back from a Just You tour (classic cities of Italy). Had a great time, and I thought I'd share some holiday tips with you:

1. Don't waste time in starting to chat to people. The earlier you can start to mix with people in the group, the easier it is. Look for people with ''Just You'' tags on their bags at your airport. It's a good place to get chatting if the're on the same tour as you.

2. Be security conscious. Never put all your valuables or money in one coat pocket or bag. If you have two or three zip up coat pockets, put some money in each one. Use the safe in any hotel you visit. Beware of pickpockets in popular tourist destinations when your tour guide tells you to be aware.

3. Never be without a bottle of water if you're visiting somewhere hot!

4. If you're staying at more than one hotel on your tour, you never need to unpack everything from your suitcase - just what you'll need for the time you're at each hotel.  Have a system of packing dirty clothes either underneath or on top of the clean clothes in your suitcase. 

5. Don't bring more than one towel. Hotels provide them (obviously!).

6. Don't be afraid to split from the group if you don't want to join in an optional excursion and need some time to yourself. I had a day to myself to recharge my batteries and it did me the world of good!

7. Talking of recharging batteries; Buy a two pin adaptor (if going to Europe) at the airport to keep your phone charged up at the hotel! 

8. Try to be punctual. You'll stay in the other guests good books, and your tour manager will be happy! They have a tough job.

9. Remember to tip waiters / hotel staff / taxi drivers etc if you're in a ''tipping'' country. Find out what the general expected tipped rate it.

10. Find out how to say hello, good morning and thankyou in the local language. It's good to be polite to the locals!

11. Have a good time!

Good tips. I would like add my few tips too:

1) if you have 2-3 devices that need charging, pack an extension lead and your usual chargers with you

2) I don't like spending money to buy a bottle of water abroad. I would rather spend money on something else. I take few small bottles water or cartons of juices with me. At breakfast time, I fill in the water bottle with cold water from the restaurant

3) in some hotels, the dining room is away from the rooms, like out in the garden. The route may not be lit properly. If you feel like having an early night, don't hesitate to ask anyone from the group to go with you to your room, better to be safe than sorry. Pack a small torch

4) on some of the tours, we stay in 5-8 hotels in different towns. If you use packing cases, stick a post it inside with a town's name, so you know immediately which one you need to take it out when you get there. I have three packing cases but I also use carrier bags to pack clothes in

5) I always pack energy bars (for each day of the tour) and some savoury snacks

6) if you have a medical condition and own a smartphone, fill in your medical details including medicines, conditions, any allergy, NHS no., name of your local hospital/hospital no, your GP/address. Also your travel insurance details

7) if you prefer an aisle seat on flights due to a medical condition or require a special meal, contact the airline at least a month before the departure date. I am sorry to say that please don't rely on JY to do this for you. I didn't get vegetarian meals on 5 Air China flights. So it is better to deal with your requirements yourself. The airlines never asked me to pay for any of my aisle seats.

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Great tips, here are a few more

1 No ice in drinks and no 2 beware of salad washed in local water. I have had diarrhoea twice from these. Have you ever tried to explain Immodium to the local pharmacist in Marrakech?

3 Watching Chris Ryan this morning on security when abroad- always look for emergency exits when in a new hotel- he went straight to bed in Barcelona, the fire alarm went off and no emergency lighting- he ran up and down the corridor in the dark like a 'headless chicken'. So take a torch and look for exits. He also said about a door jam to stop people entering your room when you are asleep.

Jan

Littleone
(Member)
Hi thanks for all the tia I’m booked on Italy city tour this May it will be my first time on holiday on my own. Just wondered if anyone could give me advice on foot wear? And how much free time do you get if you go on organise trips?
Littleone
(Member)
Thank you so much for the advice
jennyf
(Member)
Try to find a local supermarket near the hotel - water, snacks, etc much cheaper than the hotel.
anthonyconstantinou
(Member)
Always try to be in touch with your family members or friends. If sense anything unsuitable or not secure during travel do inform them or local authorities. Always stay on safe place, with good transportation facility along with nearby market and food stalls.
justdavid_
(Newbie)
I agree with this! It's much cheaper, and you can choose whatever food you like. 
igosolo
(Newbie)
Thanks for these tips! I think it's also important to familiarize the basic dos and don'ts of the country you are visiting.
willtravels
(Newbie)
From my travel experience, I will tell you one thing, don't be afraid to explore the surrounding.  You might find some hidden gems.