SarahS
(Member)
I agree even locked suitcases are vulnerable to theft, but I do always lock my case, hoping a lock will act as a deterrent opportunitist thieves.
Kezzer46
(Member)
I agree Jaya... besides there is nothing in my suitcase that I would be devastated to loose if someone broke in. All my important possessions are always in my hand luggage. My suitcase comes with a integral TSA lock - and no problems so far.

But getting back on topic, the worst thing that will happen if you do not use a TSA lock is that they will either cut your current lock off - or force the suitcase open if it has a different type of lock.

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi All

I always lock my suitcase with a TSA lock. I'm more concerned about things being placed in the suitcase if it's unlocked.....

Regards

Sylvia

RogerC
(Member)
'AELB' wrote:

Hi Ali

Get yourself a lock that says 'TSA approved' and has a little red diamond shape on it. The American authorities have skeleton keys for these and will be able to open your case to search it if they want to and then safely relock it for you. If they do search it, they will put a note inside it confirming that it was them so you don't have to worry if the contents look like they have been tampered with.

Some newer suitcases come with TSA approved locks built in but you can easily pick a separate one up on Amazon, at Boots or similar (cheaper than waiting and getting one at the airport).

Have a fabulous trip

Mandy

Good advice from Mandy. I've had locks ripped from cases going to and returning from S. America but was not sure if this was by the baggage handling process or by the authorities. I bought some of the TSA locks that Mandy mentions and have not had any trouble since. On returning from the USA last week I found a card inside my case saying the authorities had opened and inspected it. The only sign from the outside was that the twin toggles on the zip used to close the case were not where I habitually leave them, by the top handle, but had moved to be by the side handle. The attached image (if it works) shows my small combination lock with the number dials that I use on the side and the key-slot that the authorities can use on the base.

[attachment=393]

SarahS
(Member)
I use a TSA approved lock. As has been said, no lock will keep out a really determined thief, but having a decent one may act as deterrent. Also, it holds the zipper ends together and so prevents them snagging and coming undone!