ALI49
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi All

I am travelling on the Yosemite tour going on Monday. I saw in small print that putting locks on your suitcase was not advisable, if they need to search your suitcase at the airport for any reason they can damage your suitcase getting the lock off. I am not a seasoned traveller yet so any advice would be appreciated. Do I put lock on or not!

Ali

Angie0912
(Member)
Hi Ali

I am a seasoned traveller with JustYou and have been all over the world. I never bother to put a lock on my suitcase for that reasons but have never had any problems. I never pack anything of great value just to be safe.#

Angela

lesley07
(Member)
Hi

When I went to the USA I used a special lock which can be opened by US Customs. Locks can be purchased from Boots or Amazon.

Hope this helps

Lesley

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ali

Get yourself a lock that says 'TSA approved' and has a little red diamond shape on it. The American authorities have skeleton keys for these and will be able to open your case to search it if they want to and then safely relock it for you. If they do search it, they will put a note inside it confirming that it was them so you don't have to worry if the contents look like they have been tampered with.

Some newer suitcases come with TSA approved locks built in but you can easily pick a separate one up on Amazon, at Boots or similar (cheaper than waiting and getting one at the airport).

Have a fabulous trip

Mandy

SarahS
(Member)
Use a special TSA approved  coded lock.  US customs have security keys to open them if required. Alternatively use a  plastic cable tie which can be just cut, although obviously  they are less secure than a metal lock. TSA locks are readily available, I've  seen them in Boots and Tesco.
jacq27
(Member)
Hi Ali,

you can buy TSA approved locks that US customs have keys to open - I have them on my suitcase and have had my case opened by customs( note left in the case to say they'd opened it) in the US and locks not been broken.  The padlocks must say TSA approved.    I have also read on other forums of people using cable ties to 'lock' their cases and then put nail scissors/clippers in a side pocket of the suitcase to cut them off at their destination.

Hope this helps

Jacqueline

RayT
  • (Member)
(Member)
You can buy special combination locks called TSA locks which the US authorities can open with a special key regardless of your chosen combination, so keeping your insurance valid.  They opened mine once and replaced the lock with one of their own, but they had set my combination on it so no problems.  Try Wilko or Boots or look up on line.

Ray

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello, Ali.

I am going to the US for the first time next month and have bought a "TSA recognised 3 dial lock" from Boots. Using it means that if the Customs/Security people want to get in, they have a master key which will open the lock without damage and can be closed again. As I understand it, if they do open the suitcase they leave a card inside to let you know they did. I can't remember how much I paid for the lock but it wasn't expensive. One word, though, do remember to make a note of the combination you choose - almost nothing worse than trying to open a lock when you can't remember the number!

Have a lovely holiday.

Ann

turnke
(Member)
'ALI49' wrote:

Hi All

I am travelling on the Yosemite tour going on Monday. I saw in small print that putting locks on your suitcase was not advisable, if they need to search your suitcase at the airport for any reason they can damage your suitcase getting the lock off. I am not a seasoned traveller yet so any advice would be appreciated. Do I put lock on or not!

Ali

Locks which comply with TSA,the US security at airports,allowing them to open cases for inspection are commonly available.If they do inspect your case,they leave a note to say they have done it.

Having said that,sometimes the TSA locks don't function properly,and I have had to get them cut off at the hotel,because of that,I always carry spares.Make sure the combination locks work before attaching them to your case.

If you don't use TSA locks,security will break the lock to inspect the case.

sallyc
(Member)
You need a TSA padlock - available at anywhere that sells travel goods - it has a combination and key hole -see this link:-

http://forum.justyou.co.uk/thread-67335.html?highlight=Tsa+padlock 

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ali

No don't put a lock on, USA customs do not like them.  They are little protection against anyone who wants to get into a suitcase anyway so I don't bother on any flights now.  To give you an example I locked my new suitcase with the lock provided before I went to Burma and then needed to open my case the night before and the combination wouldn't register.  I got in with a nail file!!.  Most good quality padlocks are too thick to fit a suitcase.

Steve1973
(Member)
For travel to / from the USA, luggage padlocks should be TSA accepted. i.e., the Transit Security Administration will carry out random security checks on suitcases using a master key. A TSA accepted padlock will have a red diamond mark on it. You would also know if your case has been searched as a slip of paper will have been left inside to advise you so, plus (speaking from experience) the contents rearranged rather haphazzardly, so I would place any fragile belongings into your handbaggage wherever possible.

I hope that helps answer your question,

Steve

RogertheRed
(Member)
It is safe and preferable to put a lock on as long as it is a TSA type combination lock as Homeland Security have a master key to open them.

Have a good trip.

Mick W
(Member)
I use a plastic cable tie rather than a lock when going to the US, more to stop case opening rather than security (all my valuables are in my hand luggage).

Put a pair of nail clippers in the unlocked front pocket so can cut the tie off on arrival.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I do NOT lock my case I have travelled round the world and back again, there is nothing in my case worth stealing, and having spent my working life at LHR I can assure you there are ways to get in all locks, so what's the point, anything of any value travels with me not in my case...

Cindy

ALI49
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi All

Thank you for all your advice. I did not know about the TSA locks.

Ali

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I bought key operated TSA approved locks from Sainsbury's when I needed to get new padlocks for the suitcase. Saves you trying to remember the code for a combination lock! I like to lock the suitcase as there is always a worry that someone may put some prohibited substances in them - i.e. drugs etc. Hence if there are external zip pockets then I tie them with a piece of ribbon .

Jaya

pahill
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

I do NOT lock my case I have travelled round the world and back again, there is nothing in my case worth stealing, and having spent my working life at LHR I can assure you there are ways to get in all locks, so what's the point, anything of any value travels with me not in my case...

Cindy

This isn't a good idea if you ever want to put a claim in for transport damage with some airlines. e.g. Virgin Atlantic will not accept claims for loss due to unlocked cases and even state their public denouncement of the TSA's no-lock recommended policy here: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/baggage/check-in-baggage/usa-baggage-screening.html 

I use a thick padlock that is not TSA-approved as the skeleton keys are widely available as you say (check eBay) so pretty much every baggage handler can get into your case. If TSA want to get into my case they are welcome to cut the padlock off with bolt cutters as I have plenty of spare padlocks at home to replace it. They never have yet after 50+ trips to the US though (I work a for a US company so travel there a few times a year).

Recordermusic
(Member)
I had a combination lock on my case but when I arrived home I found a note inside the case saying that it had been opened and searched. Don't worry. The American Customs can get into anything! I hope they enjoyed rifling through my dirty washing!
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
At the end of the day anyone can get into your suitcase whether it is locked or not. There are lots of ways to open a suitcase, but I for one always lock mine. I used a padlock befpre, but am not able to use it for the new modern suitcases as it does not fit. Hence I now use the TSA approved ones.

Jaya