SKW2962
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I'm considering Nepal in March, but am unsure of the difficulty of the walks. The distances do not seem arduous given the time for completion, but various articles read conflict on how steep, rough the paths are etc. particularly the Shivapuri National Park walk.

Can anyone share their experiences?

Also, help with footwear and clothing would be helpful. Again, conflicting articles, some say a sturdy tennis shoe is fine, others the full hiking boot - this is billed as a walking holiday, not trekking/mountain climbing. All advice greatly appreciated.

SKW

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi this is a new tour and the first departure isn't until next March, so you're unlikely to get any replies from anyone until after that! Unless, of course, one of the JY staff is able to help, or someone who has done a similar tour with another company. I'm also interested in going to Nepal towards the end of next year, but the idea of walking at altitude and hot temperatures is putting me off! I'm thinking about doing the Travelsphere Nepal holiday instead, as it is a straightforward tour!

Best wishes,

Bob

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi SKW,

We've spoken to our overseas agents who have helped put this together.

So, the Just You tour is a walk orientated program. All of the program is comparatively fairly easy and mild (so not a 'trek' that the hardened trekker would take) but there will be ups and downs with a rough trail.

Climate: March is Springtime so the temperature is mildly warm in low lands while moderate in higher altitudes. Lightweight clothes should be OK with days being warm. Evenings can be coolers so you'll want to make sure you pack a jacket.

Now footwear - we would recommend that you take well worn boots as solid footwear will make walking more comfortable on the rougher ground.

I hope all of this helps,

Kindest regards,

Julia

SKW2962
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Julia,

JY as helpful as usual, thank you. All the information I needed to make it a yes for me, will book soon.

Will just need to work on the boots - the only well worn boots I possess have four inch spiked heels!

SKW

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi SKW,

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

I'll be honest - it would certainly make for an "interesting" trek if you were to wear 3 inch spiked heels, so yes, you might want to find something a little flatter 🙂

Kindest regards,

Julia

RosieMo
(Member)
This holiday sounds brilliant and I hope that it keeps going for a few years.

Being lazy here, but does anyone know of a reliable source of information about altitude sickness and how best to avoid it? I've heard that there are no obvious "markers" as to if you are more susceptible and just about anyone could suffer from it.

RM.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rosie,

Peru and the Andes in general seems to be the main place for altitude sickness - I don't think the altitude in Nepal that you'd be walking at would be high enough for it to be a problem, but I could be wrong! I've been at around 10,000ft at Yellowstone and also going over the Andes on the way to Mendoza and apart from being a little short of breath I was fine. In Peru, you are given cocoa tea and there is oxygen available. If you are very worried about it, talk to your doctor - I think diamox can be prescribed which can help prevent it. The best way to deal with it is to acclimatize slowly and hopefully you'd be fine! Seemingly the older you are, the less likely you are to suffer from it...

Best wishes,

Bob

sallyc
(Member)
I was in Quito earlier this year which is one of the highest cities in the world. The main advice we received was to drink tons and tons of water. Some people tried coca tea but I'm not sure that made a difference. One lady suffered and had to use the hotel's oxygen tank (yes they had their own!). One thing to note is that it doesn't matter how fit and healthy you are it can still hit you hard so just take things a lot easier than you would normally do (not sure how that fits with a walking holiday though!)
Avocet64
(Member)
'RosieMo' wrote:

This holiday sounds brilliant and I hope that it keeps going for a few years.

Being lazy here, but does anyone know of a reliable source of information about altitude sickness and how best to avoid it? I've heard that there are no obvious "markers" as to if you are more susceptible and just about anyone could suffer from it.

RM.

Hello Rosie

I went to Nepal with JY in 2009. Although the itinerary is slightly different because its now classed as a walking holiday you will visit some of the same places we went to back then. As I recall, unlike Peru, you wont be visiting anywhere high enough to get mountain sickness (I'm guessing you are asking about Nepal), it wont be like trekking in the Himalayas. I am sure Julia will be able to tell you if I am wrong.

Like you I hope this holiday will run for more than just next year. I loved Nepal and promised myself I would go back there if JY ever brought it back again, although we did do one walk whilst in Dhulikhel I would really like to do the other walks in the itinerary.

As far as a reliable source of information about mountain sickness is concerned you could try www.patient.co.uk

Avocet

RosieMo
(Member)
Thank you all for your replies - it's good to hear that altitude sickness is less likely to be an issue in Nepal than in some other places - of course nothing can be certain! Thinking back, I have been to Yosemite and over some of the high passes there (can't remember the names right now) and I felt fine, as you say, just need to take things a bit easy.

So, fingers crossed for 2016!

RM.

fleurbyfleur
(Member)
Hello SKW - Nepal is on my list too. So I'm interested in these posts and I'll read them carefully.

On the "well-worn boots" question - I find that top quality trainers are hard to beat for all-terrain walking.

And if they're fitted properly by your local sports shop they won't even need to be broken in.

It'll be the best £100 you've ever spent!