Mick W
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
From the experience of my many trips over the years I think I've got packing my hand luggage down to a fine art.

But you can always learn from others so be interesting to see what people put in their hand luggage.

I actually use a rucksack style bag because I find it easier to handle when also got my main luggage with me, just sling it over the shoulder and you only one bag to concentrate on.

Will add I'm a little old fashioned and don't believe hand luggage should have wheels, especially some of the larger items people clutter the shelf with nowadays.

I actually never empty mine just clear out old paperwork and stuff after a trip, a lot of items i only use for travel stay in there, dont get lost that way.

So here is my list (i'll start with the obvious) :-

1. Passport

2. Spare wallet with foreign cash

3. Travel documents

4. Insurance documents

5. photocopy of passport (also in main luggage).

6. Spare clothes (undies, socks, t shirt, etc) - this proved a very good idea when my luggage flew to Denver as I went to Rapid City on my last trip. The T Shirt provided by Delta in their overnight pack wouldn't wintoo many fasion awards.

7. Spare shoes - learnt this when m heel came away from a shoe many years ago, 2nd benefit is it takes weight out of your main luggage as some airlines restrictions are tight.

8. Spare reading glasses, just cheap ones in case i lose mine.

9. Puzzle Books - Not a big reader so its things like suduku, logic problems, wordsearch for me to pass the hours on long flights.

10 - Music Player - Have a cheap mp3 player i got from argos with abut 1000 songs on, only use on hol but wouldn't be without it for flight and chilling by the pool.

11. Plasters - Cut myself in budapest so bought a box of them, stay in my bag and have used and provided for others a few times.

12 - Valuables - Camera, like it with me dont trust putting that sort of thing in the main case in case it vanishes.

13 - plastic cable ties - use to seal my main case before handing over, some airlines dont like locks.

14 - Sewing kit - dont laugh its just a pack with a cople of needles and some cotton that fell in my bag from a hotel room, only used once when a button came off mybest shirt.

15- Note Book - Well need something to put the email address of all the new friends i make.

16 - Pens - Always handy

I'm sure I've forgotton something, so what do you take ?

Auntie D
(Member)
'Mick wrote:

From the experience of my many trips over the years I think I've got packing my hand luggage down to a fine art.

But you can always learn from others so be interesting to see what people put in their hand luggage.

I actually use a rucksack style bag because I find it easier to handle when also got my main luggage with me, just sling it over the shoulder and you only one bag to concentrate on.

Will add I'm a little old fashioned and don't believe hand luggage should have wheels, especially some of the larger items people clutter the shelf with nowadays.

I actually never empty mine just clear out old paperwork and stuff after a trip, a lot of items i only use for travel stay in there, dont get lost that way.

So here is my list (i'll start with the obvious) :-

1. Passport

2. Spare wallet with foreign cash

3. Travel documents

4. Insurance documents

5. photocopy of passport (also in main luggage).

6. Spare clothes (undies, socks, t shirt, etc) - this proved a very good idea when my luggage flew to Denver as I went to Rapid City on my last trip. The T Shirt provided by Delta in their overnight pack wouldn't wintoo many fasion awards.

7. Spare shoes - learnt this when m heel came away from a shoe many years ago, 2nd benefit is it takes weight out of your main luggage as some airlines restrictions are tight.

8. Spare reading glasses, just cheap ones in case i lose mine.

9. Puzzle Books - Not a big reader so its things like suduku, logic problems, wordsearch for me to pass the hours on long flights.

10 - Music Player - Have a cheap mp3 player i got from argos with abut 1000 songs on, only use on hol but wouldn't be without it for flight and chilling by the pool.

11. Plasters - Cut myself in budapest so bought a box of them, stay in my bag and have used and provided for others a few times.

12 - Valuables - Camera, like it with me dont trust putting that sort of thing in the main case in case it vanishes.

13 - plastic cable ties - use to seal my main case before handing over, some airlines dont like locks.

14 - Sewing kit - dont laugh its just a pack with a cople of needles and some cotton that fell in my bag from a hotel room, only used once when a button came off mybest shirt.

15- Note Book - Well need something to put the email address of all the new friends i make.

16 - Pens - Always handy

I'm sure I've forgotton something, so what do you take ?

Well done Mick W!!

What an extremely comprehensive list.

I've thought of a rucksack style myself but was afraid it might be to easily get-in-able if I wore it on my back and a bit clumsy, just wearing on one shoulder.

Think I might stick to my Kipling "Tardis"-like bag. It fits everything I need, including underwear (learned that the hard way after luggage went missing en route to Las Vegas {not with JY I hasten to add!} although the airline did provide toiletries).

Well done you.

Regards,

Denise

:idea::idea::idea:

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

I have my passport, cash, travel documents, insurance documents, reading glasses, pen, notebook / diary, a few plasters, a small mirror, comb in my handbag and in my hand luggage I have toiletries/cosmetics (obviously the correct sizes), a couple of pairs of shoes, a couple of bottles of water, camera. I usually do not have any spare clothes but going forward am going to add this as this is a very good idea.

Regards

Jaya

RaeW
  • (Member)
(Member)
That's much the same as I have in mine, Mick. Recently when I travelled with Easyjet [not with JY] I had enough room to put my handbag in as well. Not quite sure why you can't take the handbag separately as it is taken out immediately on the plane! Like you I only take a rucksack on board, not a wheely case, but like to keep passport, tickets and kindle in my handbag for ease of access.

Rae

Mick W
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Missed one off my list - Pack of playing cards, ok not essential but great to pass the hours if stuck in a airport but also had good fun on JY hols with others in the group in the hotel bar.
Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Mick,

This is the list of things that are normally packed in my hand luggage - most are stored in the bag and end up coming on holiday with me, even if I don't use them!!

1. Travel Wallet with Passport cards/money & foreign cash/ Insurance Documents, Travel documents, Copy of Passport etc etc

2. Spare clothes (t shirt & Pair of Knickers)

3. Sunglasses

4. Kindle

5. Mobile Phone – this also has my music, and doubles as an alarm clock and used for internet/emails if needed.

6. Mini Travel Kit – contains plasters, head ache and stomach tablets, sewing kit, lip salve, safety pins etc etc.

7. Camera

8. Pen

9. Sweets: Mints/Chewing gum/cereal bars

10. Pack-a-mac

11. Mini Torch

12. Travel washing line

13. Hand/Face wipes

14. Mini bottle of sun lotion (factor 30)

15. Tissues

16. Plastic carrier bag

Kezzer

RosieMo
(Member)
I'm surprised that some officious security person hasn't confiscated your needles from the sewing pack, Mick!

Good list. I always use a rucksack as well. It does make things easier for us single travellers when you want to get a cuppa or something - hands free!

I always put my "liquids" plastic bag in one of the side pockets of my rucksack which makes it very easy to get out for the security check.

RM.

DAFFIEGIRL
(Member)
Add to the above chargers for phone and camera, spare camera battery and memory cards, adaptors.
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I am amazed at what you all take in your hand luggage...

For me it's camera and mobile phone and accessorise. Passport plus photocopies, money travel docs health insurance and credit cards etc..iPod for music, a book pen, spare set of clothes tooth brush and paste travel set. Tissues small pack wet wipes...sweets for on the plane, everything else goes in main case, all goes in a small back pack. I can't stand all these huge carry in bags with wheels etc, and then people all cramming them in the over head bins... Less is more for me on a plane.

Cindy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Cindy,

Your list is nearly as long as everyone else's!!!

This is a useful thread and I'm glad that I seem to put similar stuff in my backpack. Must be doing it right then so!

Cheers,

Bob

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
BOB

How about 1 person is nominated to carry all the mundane stuff. Then I would have more room to take more sweets and chocolate! LOL

Cindy

davidj
  • (Member)
(Member)
Don’t forget to have the details handy that you may need to fill in your landing card, such as the hotel address for your first night.
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Dave, that's a really good tip - those landing cards are a real nuisance!

Cheers,

Bob

PS Cindy, I like that idea, but how would we choose..?

Kezzer46
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

BOB

How about 1 person is nominated to carry all the mundane stuff. Then I would have more room to take more sweets and chocolate! LOL

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

I'm with you on this one...I think its an excellent idea... so I guess for each holiday we do, we should ask about hand luggage bag size so we can nominate a victim to carry our supplies!!!

Kezzer

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Kezzer and Bob as long as it's not me ...LOL....
mogwilover
(Member)
I use a rucksack too, much easier to carry when towing a suitcase behind me and most now have straps that are easy to lengthen to take it off.. I include most of what people have listed, like a boy scout it helps to be prepared :thumbup:.

http://translation.babylon.com/english/to-spanish/ 

Liz

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rose, 

Virtually all mini rucksacks have two tags to open up the zip, so when I close my rucksack the two tags are together and I can put a padlock through the ring part of the tag to secure it.  I only do this occasionally as most of the time there is no need.  Whenever you leave your rucksack/day bag on the coach while on excursion, the coach is either locked or the driver stays with it so your belongings should be safe.  I sometimes lock my rucksack on the flight when it is in the overhead bins, but I also question whether it is really needed!  I use the mini padlock TSA-style which can be got in Boots, Dixons etc.

Hope this helps!

Bob

sjm533
(Member)
'Rose1999' wrote:

Hello, I'm a newbie so please excuse me if I ask a question that's been answered somewhere else.  

I can see how a rucksack is easier to carry when I'll also have a suitcase but I'm worried that it could easily be opened by someone behind me without my knowledge, or they could slip something in to it.  Is it possible to get a rucksack that can be secured by a padlock or similar, can anyone recommend particular makes etc?  

Thanks so much for any advice that can help me feel a bit safer on my first trip alone.

Hi Rose,

I don't use a rucksack, but one of those adjustable suitcase straps comes to mind, if lockable rucksacks aren't available, and not as costly.  You can get them with a three-digit tumbler lock.  Reasonably easy to find without having to resort to mail order.

Sylvia

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rose, many thanks for your reply - I started travelling with JY in 2010 and I can honestly say it's the best decision I've made in that time!  I have seen so much of the world, it has changed my life so much for the better.

Hope you become addicted just like many of us have!

Best wishes,

Bob

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rose

It is never too late! I wish you many happy years of travelling with Just You.

Kind Regards

Jaya