Hils
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Good morning all,

I've just had an email from British Airways advising me of their new carry on luggage size. It is 40cm x 30cm x 15cm. Anything over that will be put in the hold. Hold luggage remains the same at 56cm x 45cm x 25cm and can weigh up to 23kgs.

Looks as though I will be wearing my camera equipment!

Hope this helps as I know a lot of JY trips are with British Airways.

Cheers,

Hils

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for the info Hils, that's a very small hand luggage size! Shame on BA...

Cheers,

Bob

RaeW
  • (Member)
(Member)
I had that message too, Hils. I think we are all going to have a great selection of redundant hand luggage. It seems that every time I buy one to suit an airline changes the dimensions!

Rae

ceetee
(Member)
I'm booked on a BA flight in September, saw this post and thought 'Eeek!' so went and checked their website.

They do indeed say they are changing the hand luggage allowance, but this is what they say:

"In the next few weeks, we will be reducing the size of the handbag/laptop-sized hand bag and updating some of our procedures. These changes will help to speed up the boarding process and ensure our aircraft are ready to depart on time.

The maximum size of the handbag/laptop bag is being reduced to 40cm x 30cm x 15cm (16in x 12in x 6in). The size of the additional cabin bag remains unchanged and should be no larger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) and can weigh up to 23kgs (51lb)."

This makes it look like it's only the size of the handbag/laptop (ie. 2nd bag) that's being changed but, unlike Rae and Hils, I've not had an email from BA to know what that says.

Would it be appropriate for JY to confirm their understanding of the changes for everyone's peace of mind?

Thanks,

Caroline

Mick W
(Member)
I just take a small rucksack for my hand luggage as i find it much easier to handle when wheeling my large case along, hence not too worried by this.

In fact it irritates me when i'm told i have to keep my bag under the seat in front because the overheads are full of wheel type suitcases which seem quite large on some airlines.

How much stuff do you need on a plane ?

Mick

SarahS
(Member)
Me too. I have just bought a carry on to meet the new requirements. Sri Lankan air were quicker off the mark than BA to reduce size. It looks more like a large handbag on wheels than a suitcase!
Roamer
(Member)
Read it again Hils !

The smaller size refers to your handbag. The size of your second carry on hand luggage has not changed.

BA allow 2 carry on bags , one of which is supposed to be your handbag / laptop bag.

People have been abusing this by carrying on 2 large bags which both need to go into the overhead lockers.

BA have clarified the rules.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
My hand luggage is very small, so will not be a problem for me.

Cindy

sjm533
(Member)
'Hils' wrote:

Good morning all,

I've just had an email from British Airways advising me of their new carry on luggage size. It is 40cm x 30cm x 15cm. Anything over that will be put in the hold. Hold luggage remains the same at 56cm x 45cm x 25cm and can weigh up to 23kgs.

Cheers,

Hils

Hi

I have had this as well.

We can still take two pieces on board. One is the handbag/laptop at the size Hils gives.This is to go under the seat in front of you. The overhead locker bag/case remains unchanged at 56x45.25cm.

Hold baggage is still one piece for economy. Can't see any size/weight change for that.

Hope this helps

Sylvia

davidj
(Member)
I read this to mean that you are still allowed two pieces of carry on luggage.

The smaller one is guaranteed to stay with you in the cabin, because it will fit in your under seat space.

The larger one will normally (but not guaranteed) stay in the cabin, in the lockers. Unless they are full.

Any bag larger than 56x45x25cm (i.e. outside your allowance) will be put into the hold

d17
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Hils' wrote:

Good morning all,

Cheers,

Hils

I've also had the email and what they are actually saying is that you can still take two pieces of cabin luggage but the size of one of them has been reduced.

1) a handbag/laptop 40cm x 30cm x 15cm. (this is the one that has been reduced)

2) a cabin bag 56cm x 45cm x 25cm max weight 23kg (no change to this)

So panic not, plenty of room for cameras and other essentials in your hand luggage it's only the handbag size that is smaller!!

Hope this helps

D :cool:

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you Hils for that. I have just gone to get a tape measure- boooooooooo

Jan

Jellifer
(Member)
Hi,

The email I had from BA said you are still allowed 2 pieces of hand baggage on their flights. One is your 'personal item' such as handbag or laptop and these are now being restricted to 40x30x15 cm (previously there was no official limit to this)

The second carry on item stays the same limit at 56x45x25 cm, with a max weight of 23kg

So no changes to hold baggage allowance - BA would be being really tight if they enforced such measly dimensions on hold baggage!

Hope this helps

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi all, well that's a relief! I thought if the new size referred to the only piece of carry on luggage you can bring on board it would be disastrous - where would I put my camera?? Glad to be reassured on this matter. BA you are forgiven!!

Best wishes,

Bob

Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Apologies all!

I have re-read BA's email, and although a little confusing (blame it on the medication for my new hip!), it looks as though I may have put the frighteners on you all - especially keen photographers!

So, back to normal then!

Cheers,

Hils

TGRAN
  • (Member)
(Member)

Hi,

All these comments refer to hand/cabin luggage dimemsions.

How about suitcases- usually dimensions not stated as long as they weigh no

more than 23kgs.

Suitcases need to be big enough for clothes etc especially

on long haul trips. Seems daft if suitcase can only be 56x45x25cm

Trish G

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I personally think BA needs to restrict the weight and size of the second carry on item. 23kg is a lot of weight to go up in the lockers. One has to wait and see if BA really implements this new policy and make sure the size of the carry on items are not bigger than specified as I have seen people bringing huge cases in the cabin. As Mike say, how much stuff do you need with you on the plane? Airlines bring all these restrictions, but most times do not 'police' them.

Jaya

SarahS
(Member)
Totally agree. 23kg is a ridiculous amount to put in overheads. It would be quite a challenge to get 23 kg in the regulation size hand luggage, not mention heaving it into the locker! On my last trip BA I had an aisle seat in business class. The aisle was so narrow that I lost count of the time I was knocked into by passagers barging down the aisle with oversized luggage.
Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mick wrote:

I just take a small rucksack for my hand luggage as i find it much easier to handle when wheeling my large case along, hence not too worried by this.

In fact it irritates me when i'm told i have to keep my bag under the seat in front because the overheads are full of wheel type suitcases which seem quite large on some airlines.

How much stuff do you need on a plane ?

Mick

Hi Mick,

I always keep within the size/weight restrictions for all my airline luggage. However, having not once, but twice, had my main hold luggage gone "missing" (I spent 6 days in Rome with all I stood up in!), I always pack a washable t-shirt, knickers, socks etc. in my hand luggage. Also, minimum, but vital, toiletries, cosmetics, medications etc. Being a keen photographer there is no way that I would put my camera equipment in the hold. This also necessitates all chargers (cameras, phone, ipad, kindle etc.) going in my hand luggage also. You only need to have lost your main luggage once, to make sure you are covered with what's in your hand luggage! I do agree though, that some people put enormous cases in the overheads, and how anyone can lift a 23kg bag into the overheads is amazing - I have trouble putting my main case in the car, and it's under 23kg.!

At least my post has got everyone measuring their luggage!!

Cheers,

Hils