nixon
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just to say that the people on these JY Tours come from many situtions.

There is a good proportion of people who have been widowed and my heart goes out to them and they are very brave to travel as a single traveller.:heart:

Some care for a loved one at home and need a real break away. While the loved one is looked after.:thumbup:

I am married and have been for 30 years. My husband likes to go away to relax and not be on the go, that's why I travel alone.:rolleyes:

Sometimes people have met a friend one on a previouse JY tour and they keep in touch and link up again for another holiday as I have done in the past. Or a couple of friends might travel together. I will say that when I travel with a holiday friend we always make sure we MIX in with the group.:)

We are all single travellers but that does not mean that we are in fact single people. Which somepeople think we are.

Cindy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
To continue Cindy's description of Just You travellers...and some have never been married or are divorced/separated. The broad spectrum of life is reflected on these tours; all types of people use JY and on the tours some folks tell something of their life story or experience to their travelling companions, whilst most keep it private. I've never seen any sign of romance on a JY holiday thankfully! People on these tours are, like Cindy says, travelling singly and just want to enjoy their holiday in pleasant company!

Best wishes,

Bob

PS I've heard from some folks who have gone on a discovery weekend that the mix of people on these breaks can be quite different to that on a JY holiday - and some people go on a discovery weekend looking for romance etc, thinking that's what JY is about! I'm very glad it isn't!!!

nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
BOB

I totally agree I would hate JY to be a dating holiday - the last thing I want is romance!! I think there was a gentleman who posts on the boards who did find romance on a JY tour but it has now ended. I have said on a post before that all the MEN I have met and there have been many !!!! have always treated the ladies, like ladies and been very polite. I also hope that us ladies treat you men with consideration. I enjoy the fact that it is not all ladies, although we do seem to outnumber the Men.

Phew I am glad I went fora USA tour then if the discovery weekends have that feel..ha ha ha

Cindy

the_baron1
(Member)
As Cindy states; JY travellers come from many situations.

It all depends on your circumstances wether you are Single, Married, divorced, widowed or what!

This will be my first JY holiday which I booked nearly a year ago for. My partner first thought I was going on a singles holiday for the obvious. When she saw the brochure though, she booked her first JY holiday for May this year.

Our circumstances are different and that it is not possible to holiday together. We have found JY and will be doing other holidays in the future, again on our own. She enjoyed her holiday and I am looking forward to mine in October, meeting other people and enjoying our time together.

Eric

Sue2
  • (Member)
(Member)
Like Nixon I have done 8 JY trips. Two observations. One is that first time single people on trips do expect to find themselves with a group of totally single people (by what ever circumstance) and are suprised and some quite put out to find pairs and somtimes groups of friends. Yes, pairs may as Nixon says "mix in" but from those I have seen generally with another pair or pairs. Two, while I would not for one moment suggest that JY is a "dating" holiday, on all the ones I have done there has been at least one "attachment" in the group wether or not it has lasted.:) (These were other people by the way not me ! )
m.barnes
(Member)
Yes I am married 42 years in OCT we have separate hols because it suits us as we have dogs we wont kennel them my wife goes to Malta/Algarve each year with her sister just to rest and soak up the sun, where as I like to tour around.With Jy I have been to Switzerland/Austria/Andlucia/Cyprus and China in Oct .These hols are great if you want your own space thats fine or if you want to be involved with a group you can ,they are wonderful hols
nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Sue

When I went on the East Coastliner I think there were a group of 5 ladies who where all friends thats the largest friend group I have seen in 8 tours. I did Austrian lakes with 2 ladies I met on Poland tour, so that made 3 of us.

What I do is when the new brochure comes out is one of us e mails the holiday friends and if we fancy the same tour we buddy up, BUT WE ALL still travel on out own on other tours I and they do NOT always travel together so to speak.

I am sure like me having done a few JY tours we can pass our knowledge around to the newbies and settle them down with their worries.

It does not make any difference to me if I am with a friend or not I still enjoy the holidays.

Cindy

Pam Horton
(Member)
I am looking for this type of holiday because my husband died (4 years ago). I am doing my homework in respect of Just You and I am looking forward to trying some of the holidays in the future. In fact if things go according to plan, lots of holidays, as fast asI can save up for them!

I plan to start with Egypt for my first "Solo/singles" holiday and then try a Christmas one in China or Vietnam.

Ultimately, I am aiming at a holiday in Peru. Unfortunately, the Just You itinerary is for 14 days whereas the Travelsphere (Just You and Travelsphere are the same Group) holiday is for 18 days with a nicer itinerary.

Would it be possible, for example to do the Travelsphere 18 day Peru trip, by grouping up with like minded people from Just You?

It is important to enjoy a holiday, even if you ae on your own.

'nixon' wrote:

Sue

When I went on the East Coastliner I think there were a group of 5 ladies who where all friends thats the largest friend group I have seen in 8 tours. I did Austrian lakes with 2 ladies I met on Poland tour, so that made 3 of us.

What I do is when the new brochure comes out is one of us e mails the holiday friends and if we fancy the same tour we buddy up, BUT WE ALL still travel on out own on other tours I and they do NOT always travel together so to speak.

I am sure like me having done a few JY tours we can pass our knowledge around to the newbies and settle them down with their worries.

It does not make any difference to me if I am with a friend or not I still enjoy the holidays.

Cindy

nige0556
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

BOB

I totally agree I would hate JY to be a dating holiday - the last thing I want is romance!! I think there was a gentleman who posts on the boards who did find romance on a JY tour but it has now ended. I have said on a post before that all the MEN I have met and there have been many !!!! have always treated the ladies, like ladies and been very polite. I also hope that us ladies treat you men with consideration. I enjoy the fact that it is not all ladies, although we do seem to outnumber the Men.

Phew I am glad I went fora USA tour then if the discovery weekends have that feel..ha ha ha

Cindy

That sounds like it might be me!

but I hasten to add it was the last thing on my mind when I booked / travelled.

When the holiday to NZ finished, I travelled back separately from the group as I'd booked a week in Sydney (to watch sport - sorry!!) but I later found out from my new other half that she had been the subject of much cattiness about me not flying home with her - clearly the romance had irked some of the others

It was a fairly large group on the tour though, maybe 35 IIRC so 2 of us spending a lot of time together in the latter stages of the trip shouldn't really have affected the group dynamics

After we split, I was very dubious about taking another "singles" trip in case history repeated itself - in fact I probably came across as a bit stand-offish

nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Pam

I hope you get to go to Egypt, or the Christmas tour.

I think that Travelsphere normally have a few single places on their tours, for single travellers, I have met people on JY tours who have travelled with Travelsphere and had a good time it just means that most are in couples,many people do not mind a single one joining in with them so to speak. There are some posts on the boards with people going with travelsphere this year, so it can work.

How about starting a thread on the main posting board something like:

Who has travelled with travelsphere as a single person

then see what replies you get.

The other thing I would say is don't bank on the holiday you fancy being in the book year after year as they do change them and cut tours out, usually the ones that are not getting many bookings. Or they rest a tour for a year or to and then bring it back with a slight change.

You can always (I THINK) stay on and have a few extra days or fly out earlier to make the holiday longer speak to the people on the phones this can be done. When I went to NZ we left 4 people behind all doing there own thing. One stayed on for another 3 weeks on his own very brave.

I would say I have have great fun on all the 8 tours I have done. There is a video link on here from me NIXON and another from a Lady called lovely lesley giving our thoughts on JY..

The main thing is to book a tour your like and start the journey of having fun!!!

Cindy

Pam Horton
(Member)
Hello Cindy

Thank you so very much for your reply. I am not ready to book yet, as I have comittments before I can afford it. This is why I am doing as much "Homework" before hand so I get it right when I do it.

I actually live in Spain, and find that some of the tours fly from Heathrow to Madrid, then onto Lima or Cairo etc. So one of my questions will obviously be can I meet up in Madrid rather than Heathrow. For me it would be just as easy, if not easier, to get a flight to Madrid than Heathrow believe it or not.

Which tours have you done then? I only just Registered to post the first reply, and so I am still learning what is what. But, once I know how it works without doing something silly, then I will certainly try and post a thread.

Thank you so much for your help.

Pam

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Pam,

Welcome to the JY forum! On my last tour, to India in March, there were two people who had travelled from abroad, although we all met up in Heathrow - one had flown in from Spain, the other from Barbados! I am sure you would be able to join the tour in Madrid, but if there is a different connecting flight (in other words, not through Spain) I'd say you would have to join the main tour party in London. Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Bob[/i]

nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Pam

Living in Spain lucky you!! OK here is where I have been to: - and rated them. I started to travel in 2006.

1. My very first tour Boston, New England and New York. / Very busy but so much to see

2. Nashville and Memphis (Graceland Tour) / I just love Country and Western and Elvis, American Civil Rights

3. East Coastliner / The historic side for the American Civil War was just amazing

4. Kenyan Safari / The animals were just fantastic ..The elephants stole my heart

5. Poland and The Tatra Mountains / The Concentration camps I just had to visit and witness... heartbreaking

6. Austrian Lakes / Lovely scenic tour and time to relax

7. Hong Kong & New Zealand / Breath taking scenery lovely local people.. Milford Sound touched my heart

8. Tuscany / Lovely scenery and time to relax

I was booked to go to Australia but the trip was cancelled I did this another way. I left part of my heart in OZ just loved the county and the people, amazing sights to see there.

When I go on a tour I really look at what is being offered, I love the USA tours, I have a deep interest in Martin Luther King, and the fights of the black people to be accepted, music, history and war. Animals play a big part in my life so to see them live was great.

I have spent time with young and old on these journeys and have learnt many things about life, and peoples lives, it is amazing how people open up to a complete strange. So at times I have felt privilidged (?spelling) especially a very old lady on the Poland tour who was held captive by the germans..to hear her story was worth going on the trip.

I am waiting to see what the next brochure has to offer before I book a 2013 tour.

Cindy

zztop27
(Member)
I will be married 40 years in September and have done 2 JY holidays over the last couple of years to Australia and China - I will be booking Peru for 2013 next month. My wife is not a keen long distance traveller nor flyer so our hoildays together are European or UK based but I like to travel further afield so she is happy for me to go on my own. She generally goes away every year with her best mate to various European destinations so we both have holidays together and apart...

No way is JY a 'singles' holiday - everyone is on their own but a lot of fellow travellers are like me with partners/wives/husbands at home for a variety of reasons..

Great way to travel and meet new people !!.

Pete ..............