Hils
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi,

I have now done 7 trips with JY - all have been fantastic, but Number One on the list now is Spirit of India which I did in February this year. It is VITAL that you take anti-bacterial gel (and use it!), Imodium and rehydration salts. Out of 30 of us on the tour, half did get the dreaded Delhi Belly and some had to see the doctor and get antibiotics - a broad spectrum antibiotic can be obtained from your GP before you go - I never travel without it now. Also I'm sure it helped that I went completely vegetarian when I was in India, and did not touch the salads even in the exceptionally good hotels. Ice and ice cream are a no no too. Don't let this put you off! India is the most fascinating country and I would highly recommend it - just be prepared before you go!

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Hils,

good advice! I did the India trip in March and was very careful of the food throughout but I still got the Dehli Belly! Some people say that it's nothing to do with the hygiene of the food but different bacteria to what we are used to. For my next tour (to South America) in Sept, I've bought some travelaid pills (pre-biotics especially for travelling abroad, so it will be interesting to see how they work. One of our group in India was a vegetarian and she was the first to get ill! Thankfully no one was really bad - I had one bad day, but was still able to carry on although my stomach didn't settle properly till I got home. Don't let that put you off travelling to India however, an amazing holiday!

All the best,

Bob

Hils
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Hils,

good advice! I did the India trip in March and was very careful of the food throughout but I still got the Dehli Belly! Some people say that it's nothing to do with the hygiene of the food but different bacteria to what we are used to. For my next tour (to South America) in Sept, I've bought some travelaid pills (pre-biotics especially for travelling abroad, so it will be interesting to see how they work. One of our group in India was a vegetarian and she was the first to get ill! Thankfully no one was really bad - I had one bad day, but was still able to carry on although my stomach didn't settle properly till I got home. Don't let that put you off travelling to India however, an amazing holiday!

All the best,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I also took some probiotic pills (Acidophilus) while I was in India - you can get them from Holland & Barrett. I'm booked on the same tour as you for Vietnam & Cambodia and will take these for this trip too. I'm travelling out early to Vietnam as I have family there, so hopefully will pick up some useful tips then!

Cheers,

Hils

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Hils, looking forward to meeting you then and hearing what you have learnt! I take acidophilus throughout the year and it didn't help one bit in India, something stronger is needed!

All the best,

Bob

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Some more tips for India - this is a really hectic tour with lots of early starts but JY have tried really hard to give a comprehensive experience of northern India. Lots of interesting buildings to see throughout the tour, but if you get tired or have a bit of a dodgy belly you might like to skip an excursion or two and rest up for a couple of hours. I skipped the sound and light show at Khajuraho (didn't miss much by all accounts, especially when the lights seemingly failed!!) and the trip out to Sarnath on the last day in Varanasi. Do go to the Bollywood show, some folks were wary of it, but it was a lot of fun and very well done! One big thing to beware of - in most (perhaps all) of the hotels the cost of wine was ridiculous - we paid £35 a bottle in Jaipur before we realised what we were being charged! Beer is a reasonable price and you mightn't feel like drinking much if you have an upset stomach - this was the first tour I've been on where I didn't put on any weight!!

Cheers,

Bob

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
I agree with the idea of using anti-bacterial gel - our group used it regularly during the day, especially after handling money and none of us got ill.