Dina
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
This was a delightful holiday based at the Hotel Sierra Silvana in Selva di Fasano. The hotel  is situated at the top of a hill in this beautiful, rural part of Italy. In fact there were virtually no shops or bars to head for  a stroll. 

However, the hotel does have a super, large swimming pool, a good bar where we frequently imbibed in

Aperolspritz one of the local drinks and a big terrace overlooking the nightly illuminated pool. The terrace was the

focus of evening entertainment, music and dancing.

Our friendly group of 26, 18 women and 8 men were led by Silvia our crazy (her own adjective) TM. She was very well organized-her mobile phone number was printed on every piece of information she gave us and she truly was a fun person. To complete the group was our safe bus driver Luciano.

Our rooms were in a separate block to the hotel reception and restaurant. The rooms were over two floors which were connected by a spiral staircase. In fact this hotel's trademark should be "spiral staircases" Although the rooms were large I was disappointed to discover toiletries were scarce, one small soap and a couple of shampoos. No hair conditioner, showergel or bodylotion.

For swimming, we hired for 3 euros, a towel to last us all week.

Breakfast was buffet style, but the evening meals we ordered from a set menu each day. Food was locally sourced and good, Apulia being well known for it's cuisine.

We had two meals in local masserias (farms cum restaurant cum five star resorts) one lunch time and one evening. The evening at the masseria turned out to be the most fun filled evening!

The weather was very hot all week, in fact when we escaped from our guided tours ( I say escaped because although they were good they were very draining in this stifling heat) we invariably headed to the nearest bar or cafe.

During our excursions we travelled through rolling hills dotted with fields of olives separated by English looking dry stone walls to fields of hay bales, harvesting complete, to the rocky coastline.

The hotel was about twenty minutes from the coast and provided a shuttle bus there, if required.

My highlight of the holiday was Matera-I don't think any tour to Apulia should omit Matera. This captivating city was UNESCO listed in 1993 and is set to be the European City of Culture in 2019. It is famous for it's "sassi" cave 

dwellings and is situated on one side of a gorge (few caves other side of gorge). However, it wasn't easy  to sightsee  as it is hilly and there are loads of cobbled steps which can be slippery.

Alberobello was almost as amazing being a town almost completely made up of the little "trulli houses". These houses which are circular with their cone-shaped domes are of antique oriental origin, introduced into Apulia from Asia Minor.

Lecce was the largest town and is a shopper's delight.

The two optional excursions were interesting. Monopoli was my preference, beautiful and  on the coast only about 40 minutes from the hotel. It had quaint alleys for us to get lost in, a promenade to saunter along and a small sandy beach so that we could cool our feet in the Adriatic.

To sum up a great holiday, few crowds, off the tourist track but would have preferred going when it was cooler.

Di

Bosuncat
(Member)
Glad you had a good time Di.  :)

I's interesting to read that the hotel is putting JY customers in the "spiral staircase" rooms.  :s   I have researched quite a bit on the hotel, as it is one that I was considering doing last year, but that, and the slippery stones, as previously mentioned by other visitors would rule it out for me.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Di

Thanks for the great review.

This holiday is on my radar and I intend to do it in the next couple of years, but will definitely go either in May or September as it will be cooler then.

Jaya

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Di,

I'm delighted that you enjoyed this trip so much - it's one I have my eye on although there have been very few reviews of it to date so it was great to read such a detailed and well written review!

All the best,

Bob

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Elaine

Thank you for your response.

I have just e-mailed you with further information in the hopes that the holiday could become a positive for you.

The spiral staircases were wide and certainly not steep and there were lifts, so no problems there.

Gosh, have realized some of my wording was censored. I can't honestly think what was wrong with the words I used. If they were rude, it's news to me!!

Best wishes

Di

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jaya

I will certainly recommend this holiday and thank you for your comments.

Quite  a relaxing holiday, back at the ranch (ok, I mean hotel) by 4-4.30 most days. Pre dinner drinks for those who wished followed by dinner at 7.30.

Best wishes

Di

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Bob 

I booked this holiday about 6 weeks before departure, needed a quick break. Some of the group were happy to sit around the pool instead of doing the optional excursions. Although I love swimming I would have got bored.

There were shady areas around the pool which was good because one or two people sat and read in the shade.

Most excursions started at 9 or 9.30am which I thought was great after early mornings on long hauls.

Distances were quite short, too. In between 45 minutes and hour and half to the said destination.

Am thinking that PeterG may add some more comments and possibly correct any errors I have made.

Best wishes

Di

SarahS
(Member)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

I's interesting to read that the hotel is putting JY customers in the "spiral staircase" rooms.  :s   I have researched quite a bit on the hotel, as it is one that I was considering doing last year, but that, and the slippery stones, as previously mentioned by other visitors would rule it out for me.

I stayed in the hotel last year. Although my block did have a spiral staircase, there was also a lift. The covered pathways from the room blocks were level surfaced and well lit. Regarding the slippery stones at Matera, there was a great view of the sassi houses, and across the valley from the viewing point at street level.

wensco
(Member)
Thank you for the very detailed review Dina. I am going in September. Hope it's cooler as not a beach holiday?

Anyway your review has made me very excited about this trip.

Sue16
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Dina' wrote:

This was a delightful holiday based at the Hotel Sierra Silvana in Selva di Fasano. The hotel  is situated at the top of a hill in this beautiful, rural part of Italy. In fact there were virtually no shops or bars to head for  a stroll. 

However, the hotel does have a super, large swimming pool, a good bar where we frequently imbibed in

Aperolspritz one of the local drinks and a big terrace overlooking the nightly illuminated pool. The terrace was the

focus of evening entertainment, music and dancing.

Our friendly group of 26, 18 women and 8 men were led by Silvia our crazy (her own adjective) TM. She was very well organized-her mobile phone number was printed on every piece of information she gave us and she truly was a fun person. To complete the group was our safe bus driver Luciano.

Our rooms were in a separate block to the hotel reception and restaurant. The rooms were over two floors which were connected by a spiral staircase. In fact this hotel's trademark should be "spiral staircases" Although the rooms were large I was disappointed to discover toiletries were scarce, one small soap and a couple of shampoos. No hair conditioner, showergel or bodylotion.

For swimming, we hired for 3 euros, a towel to last us all week.

Breakfast was buffet style, but the evening meals we ordered from a set menu each day. Food was locally sourced and good, Apulia being well known for it's cuisine.

We had two meals in local masserias (farms [censored] restaurant [censored] five star resorts) one lunch time and one evening. The evening at the masseria turned out to be the most fun filled evening!

The weather was very hot all week, in fact when we escaped from our guided tours ( I say escaped because although they were good they were very draining in this stifling heat) we invariably headed to the nearest bar or cafe.

During our excursions we travelled through rolling hills dotted with fields of olives separated by English looking dry stone walls to fields of hay bales, harvesting complete, to the rocky coastline.

The hotel was about twenty minutes from the coast and provided a shuttle bus there, if required.

My highlight of the holiday was Matera-I don't think any tour to Apulia should omit Matera. This captivating city was UNESCO listed in 1993 and is set to be the European City of Culture in 2019. It is famous for it's "sassi" cave 

dwellings and is situated on one side of a gorge (few caves other side of gorge). However, it wasn't easy  to sightsee  as it is hilly and there are loads of cobbled steps which can be slippery.

Alberobello was almost as amazing being a town almost completely made up of the little "trulli houses". These houses which are circular with their cone-shaped domes are of antique oriental origin, introduced into Apulia from Asia Minor.

Lecce was the largest town and is a shopper's delight.

The two optional excursions were interesting. Monopoli was my preference, beautiful and  on the coast only about 40 minutes from the hotel. It had quaint alleys for us to get lost in, a promenade to saunter along and a small sandy beach so that we could cool our feet in the Adriatic.

To sum up a great holiday, few crowds, off the tourist track but would have preferred going when it was cooler.

Di

Hi Di

Glad you had a good holiday, might look at this one in a couple of years.  You say the food was good, how was the choice for vegetarians?

Sue

Peter G
(Member)
Hi Di

Your review was very good and I don't think I can add much to it.

You mention the spiral staircases in the hotel main block and accommodation blocks. There were lifts too as an alternative.

We returned to the hotel 4-5 pm each day so people could either use the pool or relax before dinner which was always at 7.30pm. The only day we went out for dinner was to the masseria which offered a great variety of food and drink.

Peter

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Di and Peter,

Many thanks for your additional comments - this trip has now moved further up my wishlist!

All the best,

Bob

PS Di, I can't imagine you used any language in your review that warranted a bit of censorship!

Bosuncat
(Member)
'SarahS' wrote:

'Bosuncat' wrote:

I stayed in the hotel last year. Although my block did have a spiral staircase, there was also a lift. The covered pathways from the room blocks were level surfaced and well lit. Regarding the slippery stones at Matera, there was a great view of the sassi houses, and across the valley from the viewing point at street level.

Thanks for that.  I thought it meant that the actual bedroom itself was on two levels.  🙂   Silly me.

Bosuncat
(Member)
'Dina' wrote:

Hi Elaine

Thank you for your response.

I have just e-mailed you with further information in the hopes that the holiday could become a positive for you.

The spiral staircases were wide and certainly not steep and there were lifts, so no problems there.

Gosh, have realized some of my wording was censored. I can't honestly think what was wrong with the words I used. If they were rude, it's news to me!!

Best wishes

Di

Thanks Di. 🙂

katy1717
(Member)
Thanks Dina and Peter for the review of this trip.  It's one I've thought about fitting in sometime, but every time I've looked at it, the flight out of the UK seems to leave stupidly early in the morning so discounted it.  

Seems like a good trip overall, if JY ever change the flights out I would probably book it.

Katy

Peter G
(Member)
Hi Katy

Our flights were with Easyjet as per the brochure which left Gatwick at 1230 and arrived back at 1845. On all the other dates BA flights were used which leave Gatwick early in the morning. One person in our group travelled with BA as he had upgraded.

katy1717
(Member)
'Peter G' wrote:

Hi Katy

Our flights were with Easyjet as per the brochure which left Gatwick at 1230 and arrived back at 1845. On all the other dates BA flights were used which  leave Gatwick early in the morning. One person in our group travelled with BA as he had upgraded.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that info.  Seems then that there may be the odd date that the departure times aren't nuts.  Will keep that in mind for the future.

Katy

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Sue

I didn't realize that you were vegetarian!

Don't quite know what to write.

Obviously the comprehensive buffet breakfast is fine for vegetarians

At lunchtime we tended to eat salads with local bread specialities whilst we were out.

We had a set 3 course menu at night. Every morning we were given the evening menu, having to choose from a choice of 3 starters and 3 main courses. One of the starters was usually a soup. Can't remember what other choices there were for starters as I invariably had the soup.

There was plenty of cheese, the ricotta being especially tasty. Mozzarella was popular-we watched that being made!

Apart from meat dishes, we were offered mussels, oysters and octopus. Fish, it may have been cod,.

was on the menu one evening.

Orecchiette (ear like pasta) was on the menu, too.

Plenty of locally grown veg.

One of my main courses was Rafanata, an omelette with horseradish, potatoes and cheese. My last main course was a plate of Apulian cheeses and cold meats

Of course then there is dessert...

Sue, I hope that gives you a good idea (sorry  I am good at waffling)

Best wishes

Di

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Peter

Thank you for your comments.

Enjoy your rail holiday in a couple of days time

Di

Sue16
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Di - I certainly won't starve!  I say vegetarian but I do eat a bit of fish; a pescetarian I suppose.  Quite a selection, now the holiday looks even more inviting.  Sounds like this holiday was a lot more relaxing than your next one, bet you cannot wait.

Sue