trisho
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
This holiday is a really nice balance of walking, sightseeing and free time. Don't let the walking part put you off. It is walking (at a fairly leisurely pace) not trekking. It takes place on roads, well defined paths and tracks with plenty of time built in for you to stop and catch your breath, admire the view or take photos. Anybody who has a reasonable degree of fitness and mobility can complete these walks.

Despite the devastation caused by the 2015 earthquake Nepal is very much open for business and welcoming visitors. While some man made attractions have been destroyed and are being rebuilt, albeit slowly, many others remain standing, some somewhat precariously and, of course, all the natural features that make Nepal such a beautiful country are untouched so there is more than plenty to do and see.

After only a very short time in Katmandu you realise why all the locals wear face masks, it is a very dusty and polluted city so heavy rain overnight was welcome as it kept the dust levels down. Our first walk was a gently undulating after breakfast stroll across a golf course and through a former royal forest during the course of which we saw temples, deer and monkeys. Following this we went sightseeing in central Katmandu (some earthquake damage) and then onto the tourist district of Thamel for free time and retail therapy.

Lulled into a false sense of security the following morning's walk was the longest and probably toughest of those we did. Wearing our 'holi' colours, much to the amusement of the locals, we set out to climb the second highest hill in the valley, through a national park to a nunnery at the top. It was our first serious uphill at altitude, started steeply and ended with a large number of steps. The views were wonderful -there really was a lot of stopping to admire them but apart from one person who struggled with steps we all made the top and that included the 84 year old on this trip. Having attained what seemed like our own personal Everest we were entertained, that evening, by a petite Nepalese lady who had summited the "mountain" and who proved to be one of the most inspirational speakers I had heard in a long while.

A very early start for Chitwan with breakfast on the road. Besides rebuilding work there was a major pipe laying project being undertaken which frequently totally gridlocked the Katmandu traffic then further along the road is a very much needed ongoing road improvement programme that shuts the road for hours at a time. It was an entertaining journey of potholes and an ongoing demonstration of kamikaze overtaking (by others) before we reached our destination. The time here was a very peaceful interlude after Katmandu. Only a short flatish walk in the national park  otherwise we travelled by oxcart, canoe and jeep. As anticipated the tiger remained elusive but we saw mostly everything else we expected to see though we had to trust the ranger that the brown blob, just visible in the distance, was a retreating sloth bear. As JY no longer supports the use of elephants for safari, Yvette, our TM, arranged for us to take two elephants to the river to bathe which resulted in an enjoyable but very wet time for all. 

A not quite so early start took us back along the road in need of improvement and onto Pokhara, gateway to the Annapurnas. The mountains are very close here. Free afternoon or the optional excursion to the Peace Stupa. It was a steady uphill climb passing close to houses perched on the hillside. We walked in the company of children and dogs. Fabulous views and ice cream at the top ! The last included walk of the main tour was to Dhampus from Pedi and was probably the nicest so far. On a mixture of road and track we walked past people tending their fields as they must have done since time began. We walked through people's gardens and peered into their homes, visited a school and watched a lady making cloth. The fabulous views of the mountains promised, while lunching, sadly failed to materialise due to cloud so we had to make do with looking at a painting of what we were missing instead. Despite our best efforts to lose her on the way back from Dhampus Yvette kindly offered one more excursion, not in the itinerary, totally optional and as it turned out thoroughly magical. We left the hotel at 4 am, drove out of town, hiked in the dark (head torches on) , sat on a cold stone step and watched the lights in the valley below go out, the sun rise to our right and strike/light up the tops of  Fishtail and the Annapurna  mountains directly in front. It was absolutely stunning. Tea at a tea house, back for breakfast and then off for a day playing tourist with free time for shopping. 

We flew back to Katmandu from Pokhara and spent our last two days sightseeing firstly in Patan and then Bhadgaon on the following day. Both towns were badly damaged by the earthquake but still offer plenty to see. Restoration work has begun and will ongoing for years. There was time to explore the backstreets, see where the locals lived and shopped, turn a corner and find yet another stunning building or character to photograph. One final free afternoon, which most of us spent in Thamel, then a farewell dinner and the main tour was over.

Leaving those going home to await their airport transfers we took a 90 minute coach ride to Dhulikhel, home for a final 3 nights. The hotel is very rural, perched on the side of a hill and faces the Himalayas. The rooms all have picture windows and mountain views. If the weather cooperates you can see the sunrise over the mountains without leaving the comfort of your bed, if it doesn't you just roll over and go back to sleep. It really is a place to chill, there is a spa, beautiful gardens, stunning views and little else. 

The whole area was very badly hit by the earthquake, the hotel lost part of its garden and the countryside  around is dotted with temporary corrugated iron structures reminiscent of WW2 Anderson shelters. We walked on all three days, two in the company of the hotel gardener and giver of intensive language tuition. My favourite walks of the whole tour were the two unscheduled ones here. They were gently undulating, not particularly long circular walks that took us through villages and past fields, farms and schools. We walked with schoolchildren keen to practice their English and talked with their elders through the services of our guide. We gained an unique insight into the resilience of these people, their very strong sense of family and an understanding of the problems they faced in rebuilding their lives. Our very last walk in Nepal was to Nammo Buddha, a huge monastery, a shrine and an important place of pilgrimage. Again stunning views but quite boring road walking until we met a man who knew a short cut!

I've loved every holiday I've done with JY but Nepal was really something special, think this may be my favourite holiday ........ so far!

Bosuncat
(Member)
Superb review.  Thank you so much, from someone who would love to see Nepal, but knows that it would be too much for me.  🙂
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Trish, thank you so much for this fantastic and detailed review - I very much appreciate it!  I have considered doing this tour on a number of occasions but I was unsure as to how demanding the walks would be but you have reassured me.  Thanks also for the comments regarding the damage done by the earthquake - I had read reports that indicated little restoration work was being done, so it is good to hear that they are indeed making progress, albeit slowly.  I understand that although JY no longer offer the morning flight over Everest, that you could book this independently with the airline?  I would dearly love to do this.  Hopefully I will get to visit Nepal over the next couple of years.

Best wishes,

Bob

AbbaDave
(Member)
super review Trish

Thank you for taking the time to write it

Nepal is on my list of destinations and as they say walking is good exercise for you and whilst your taking in such lovely scenery you would barely notice the distance you've walked

all the best

Dave

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Trish

Great review and certainly sounds like you had a great experience, and I am so jealous of elephants bathing, my idea of heaven that would be I just adore elephants.

Cindy

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Trish,

Thank you so much for writing this wonderful review. It was so interesting to read about your experiences of this unique part of the world.

Like Bob and Dave, I would love to visit Nepal at some point, and your excellent review has served to reinforce that wish. It only remains now, for JY to reinstate the morning flight to Mt Everest!

Cheers

Mike

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mike, my understanding is that the TM put the group into contact with the local airline who organises the flights and those in the group who wished to do so, made a booking directly with the airline and had a wonderful time - this was mentioned on another thread.  I think 12 out of 17 or something like that did the flight, but I was just liking that to be confirmed by Trish. 

Cheers,

Bob

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Trish,

Thanks for this fabulous review... Nepal has always been on my wish list but after reading your review I may push it further up my list of destinations.

Kezzer

trisho
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Mike, my understanding is that the TM put the group into contact with the local airline who organises the flights and those in the group who wished to do so, made a booking directly with the airline and had a wonderful time - this was mentioned on another thread.  I think 12 out of 17 or something like that did the flight, but I was just liking that to be confirmed by Trish. 

Cheers,

Bob

Sorry for the delay in replying.  13 of us did indeed manage to do the flight to Everest. I think we were put in touch with the agency that JY use in Nepal and contracted the trip with them as individual travellers. Payment was in dollars, £SD, rupees or by credit card. It was a trip I am glad that I was lucky enough to do.

I think I should point out that you do need the cooperation of your TM and any fellow travellers not wishing fly. There are only 2 days in the 2 visits to Katmandu when there is sufficient free time to do the trip but that is scheduled for the afternoon. Your TM has to shuffle the itinerary for you to allow for a much later departure on the scheduled activities, Kathmandu has a later rush hour than the UK,  and so you can end up sitting in stationary traffic for ages with a knock on effect on things like included lunches especially if the included activity is a walk that you can't cut short

You also need a degree of luck with the weather. The valley is often shrouded in cloud or fog. They will only do the flight if it is not only safe to fly but as it is a sightseeing flight you are going to get the visibility. For perspective for every 3 days we hoped to see mountains at ground level we saw them on one. We got lucky. At 5.30 am when collected from the hotel you hope your guide has brought minibuses - if he comes on his own you're not going and you get a full refund. You get to the airport, draw lots for seats and get as far as the departure gate. Your flight time is purely nominal. One flight is despatched just after 6am, takes roughly 1 hour and only after that has reported back do they make the decision to fly you or not (refund minus a contribution for transport to airport if they don't). Its  then a scramble to get all departures airborne , in flight order and make the flights. 

Perhaps the surest way of ensuring a flight to Everest is to do the TS Bhutan tour and sit on the appropriate side of the plane flying in or out of Bhutan

Its perhaps the lottery nature of the excursion that has led to its withdrawal though I have asked them to reinstate it my holiday feedback. HTH

Trish

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Trish,

Many thanks for that really helpful explanation, I understand the situation much better now. Here's hoping that when I do the Nepal trip that everything will fall into place to allow the flight to happen!

Best wishes,

Bob

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Trish,

Super review. I haven't done this part of Nepal, but did do the Everest trek (6 months training in the gym and climbing a hill every weekend - groan!) in 2003. Of all the 50-odd countries I have visited in the world, Nepal is still up there as Number One!! The most fantastic scenery (apart from when the sun shines in Scotland!), wonderful people, but some of the worse pollution I have ever encountered, in Kathmandu!

I would thoroughly recommend everyone to go to Nepal and this tour looks super, so anyone thinking of booking it - do it!

Cheers,

Hils

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Trish,

Many thanks for clarifying the situation regarding Mt Everest flights - especially the point about these flights needing the cooperation of the TM and fellow travellers not wishing to take the option. Personally, I would be a little concerned about the possibility of disrupting the day's scheduled activity for others, by choosing to take part in something not sanctioned by JY. All the more reason, it would seem, for JY to reinstate the flight as an option into it's programme, and if the flight is grounded on the morning money could be refunded.

Cheers

Mike

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Trish for a fabulous review full of useful information and I really got the vibe that you had a ball.  The content of the trip sounds great - I love it when you really get to experience the locals way of life.

Best wishes

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Superb review! I have never thought about this country before so it was nice to hear your thoughts!

Mark

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Trish

A great review. I want to visit Nepal one day and was wondering if the walking tour was going to be too strenuous, but reading your review has given me confidence that I would be able to manage it. Yvette is a good TM and very experienced and goes the extra mile to make the holiday more enjoyable. You were lucky to have her. I would love to bathe the elephants and be close to them.

Jaya

TimH
  • (Member)
(Member)
Great review Trish, it was a wonderful trip

Tim

Jenny P
(Member)
Thanks Trish, I am booked to go in the autumn, was worried about the walking, but you have put my mind at rest. Speaking as someone who doesn't particularly want to do the Everest flight, providing that nothing is missed off the itinerary, I am quite happy to do my own thing whilst others go off.

Jenny

Julie White
(Member)
Hello Trish,

A fabulous review thank you taking the time to write it.

It is definitely on my list to do in the future

Regards Julie

Sally W
(Member)
Thanks Trish for a wonderful and helpful review.  I am going on the trip in November and I am  really looking forward to it.  I am very pleased to hear that JY are no longer using elephants for safari as I had made up my mind I would miss that part of the trip if they were being used.