Mick W
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I'm a big lover of City Breaks and although not done a JY one just have just returned from a lovely trip to Berlin.:thumbup:

So for the benefit of those going on the JY Berlin trip thought I'd post to say what an amazing city it is, clean, great transport network and lots to see and do. Plan carefully what you want to see as 3 nights is not enough but you'll have a great time and cant fail to be impressed.

I was actually there 5 nights and didn't see everything, may even return one day.

The people I met are all friendly and its a very safe place in my opinion, use the trams and trains (even buses) to get around will save you lots of time. Thet are all very regular think the longest i waited for anything was 8 minutes, often only 3 or 4 minutes apart if you miss one.

Great views off the TV tower although long queues but they give you a time when you purchae a ticket, you get a 10 minute window so once you know can go do something else until your time. Boat trip is nice but think the one hour option is enough.

Some great stories to read about at Checkpoint Charlie.

I see JY visit the Allied Museum and on th outskirts its not that big and an hour is easily enough, if there more there is a cracking upmarket cafe just before the U-Bahn station (not cheap but lovely cakes), turn right out the gates and its about 600yards away on your right.

Also have a walk around the historic district and go in the church (with two towers) its amazing. Its very close to the TV tower and Alexanderplatz.

I could go on but got my photos to sort and blog to write.

Kezzer46
(Member)
Thanks for the review Mick. Looking forward to you posting your blog and photos 🙂
Bosuncat
(Member)
I shall look forward to reading your blog and seeing the photos as always Mick. :thumbup:
SarahS
(Member)
So just to clarify, did you travel with JY or independently?
Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'SarahS' wrote:

So just to clarify, did you travel with JY or independently?

Travelled independantly and when i mentioned it on my blog another solo contacted me and booked the same deal (so two solo travellers), we both fancied Berlin and used Avios points to get a very good deal (Flight/hotel).

Of course didn't have the benefit of a tour manager but both were experienced travellers o not a issue and also had to sort our own transfers.

I tend to do longer hols with JY, love the touring ones (got Cuba booked).

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Kezzer/Bosuncat.

The blog is two thirds done and online, just the final part to complete.

Not got photos on Flickr yet but some on the blog.

Mick

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Mick wrote:

I'm a big lover of City Breaks and although not done a JY one just have just returned from a lovely trip to Berlin.:thumbup:

So for the benefit of those going on the JY Berlin trip thought I'd post to say what an amazing city it is, clean, great transport network and lots to see and do. Plan carefully what you want to see as 3 nights is not enough but you'll have a great time and cant fail to be impressed.

I was actually there 5 nights and didn't see everything, may even return one day.

The people I met are all friendly and its a very safe place in my opinion, use the trams and trains (even buses) to get around will save you lots of time. Thet are all very regular think the longest i waited for anything was 8 minutes, often only 3 or 4 minutes apart if you miss one.

Great views off the TV tower although long queues but they give you a time when you purchae a ticket, you get a 10 minute window so once you know can go do something else until your time. Boat trip is nice but think the one hour option is enough.

Some great stories to read about at Checkpoint Charlie.

I see JY visit the Allied Museum and on th outskirts its not that big and an hour is easily enough, if there more there is a cracking upmarket cafe just before the U-Bahn station (not cheap but lovely cakes), turn right out the gates and its about 600yards away on your right.

Also have a walk around the historic district and go in the church (with two towers) its amazing. Its very close to the TV tower and Alexanderplatz.

I could go on but got my photos to sort and blog to write.

Hi MIckW

Glad you enjoyed your holiday! Berlin is on the list but it's getting rather big at the moment haha.

Thanks

Mark

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Kezzer46' wrote:

Thanks for the review Mick. Looking forward to you posting your blog and photos :)

Me too Mick W.

Have you got the link?

Thanks

Mark

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Mick,

Awaiting your blog and pictures :)

Jan

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Mark/Jan,

All 3 parts of my trip can be found here :-

http://micks-travels.blogspot.co.uk/ 

Just had a look at where the JY hotel is and looks like its on the M4 tram route which is a very good location, can jump on to Alexanderplatz then get to all the sites on various forms of transport, in fact it looks easily walkable (very safe area).

It really is a great city i'm sure everyone going will enjoy.

Mick

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Mick,

Thank you for link, read your blog which was enlightening. Berlin and Munich are on my list still to do along with most of the Rhine :)

Jan

Bosuncat
(Member)
Really loved the blog as always Mick. :thumbup:
Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'janib' wrote:

Hello Mick,

Thank you for link, read your blog which was enlightening. Berlin and Munich are on my list still to do along with most of the Rhine :)

Jan

Jan,

Definately think you would enjoy Berlin, you should get yourself booked :thumbup:

Mick

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

Really loved the blog as always Mick. :thumbup:

Elaine,

Thanks, hope those on the JY trip find it useful as we did most of the things on their list.

Mick

Bosuncat
(Member)
Good beer too eh, Mick? :thumbup:

As a matter of interest, how expensive did you find it to eat and drink? Berlin being a big city and Germany having a reputation of being quite expensive.

Kezzer46
(Member)
Great Blog Mick... thanks for sharing.
Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

As a matter of interest, how expensive did you find it to eat and drink? Berlin being a big city and Germany having a reputation of being quite expensive.

Not expensive at all, eating out i would say similar or cheaper than over here like for like. Of course touristy areas are the most expensive but nothing really over the top.

Thought all the attractions we visited were good value.

The one thing that seemed over the top in price was water, in particular tonic water if you fancied a G & T like my travel companion did. It seemed anything with water in its name. Glass of water in a bar was more expensive than beer or soft drinks (not that it was a problem :angel:).

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Kezzer46' wrote:

Great Blog Mick... thanks for sharing.

Bosuncat
(Member)
'Mick wrote:

'Bosuncat' wrote:

Not expensive at all, eating out i would say similar or cheaper than over here like for like. Of course touristy areas are the most expensive but nothing really over the top.

Thought all the attractions we visited were good value.

The one thing that seemed over the top in price was water, in particular tonic water if you fancied a G & T like my travel companion did. It seemed anything with water in its name. Glass of water in a bar was more expensive than beer or soft drinks (not that it was a problem :angel:).

I should imagine the beer did go down well Mick! :thumbup: