Sue44
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hiya, I am thinking of booking to go on the Rome City break, has anyone else been on it, how does the evening meal situation work as they are not included, and how much of Rome do you actually see?

I have never been away on my own so this would very new to me and I am a little scared, but Rome has always been somewhere I have always wanted to go and thought it would be a good start.

Look forward to hearing from anyone.

Sue

LindaB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sue

I am thinking of booking to go to Rome. I did Classic tour of Italy with JY a few years ago, but we didn't see much of Rome and I would love to go to the Colosseum. I haven't booked because there doesn't seem to be much organised and I don't want to end up wandering around aimlessly on my own (I find it depressing).

I look after my granddaughters two days a week so it is the ideal short break for me to fit in with that.

Thinking about June 14th.

Linda

evelynj
(Member)
Hi Sue and Linda

I am booked on the Rome trip 14th June.

I have done several trips to Italy with Just You but never to Rome so this break is perfect for me. As it is a new holiday no feedback yet.

The tour manager will suggest where to eat on the 2 nights nights that dinner is not included and also where to go in the free time we have. People tend to look out for each other so do not worry about being on your own. I propose to book the excursion to the Sistine Chapel but not the English Cemetry.

I think this is a perfect break for a first timer and once you get back you will be planning the next. I recently went to India with Just You and one lady had been on about 50 holidays since she retired!

Eve

LindaB
  • (Member)
(Member)
I have done several JY holidays and find the long haul ones are more sociable, but think I might give this a go. The others i have done in Europe had all evening meals provided so we didn't have the problem of eating out. I did the Sistene Chapel, St Peter's and saw the Pope last time so not bothered if I miss that, however would go if everyone else doing that. Very keen to go to the Colesseum this time.

Linda

Sue44
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'LindaB' wrote:

Hi Sue

I am thinking of booking to go to Rome. I did Classic tour of Italy with JY a few years ago, but we didn't see much of Rome and I would love to go to the Colosseum. I haven't booked because there doesn't seem to be much organised and I don't want to end up wandering around aimlessly on my own (I find it depressing).

I look after my granddaughters two days a week so it is the ideal short break for me to fit in with that.

Linda

Hi Linda

I agree I didn`t think there was to much organised which made me reluctant to book, having read your message I am more interested as Rome is a place I have always wanted to go and I think it would be a good taster as I would like to go on more holidays but I have to go on my own.

Have you booked yet 14th June? do you know how many are going?

Sue

LindaB
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Sue44' wrote:

'LindaB' wrote:

Hi Sue

Linda

Hi Linda

I agree I didn`t think there was to much organised which made me reluctant to book, having read your message I am more interested as Rome is a place I have always wanted to go and I think it would be a good taster as I would like to go on more holidays but I have to go on my own.

Have you booked yet 14th June? do you know how many are going?

Sue

Hi Sue

I decided not to book and will maybe take 2 or 3 weekends in this country instead.

Rome is somewhere I really want to go to but I might as well go on my own to suit if the tour doesn't offer what I want. Shame.

Also I am going to Australia later this year to visit family, so the cost put me off a bit, too.

I would say that I have been on several JY holidays, and there is no need to worry about taking that step

Linda

Newtothis
(Guest)
Hello

As you can see from my id I am a newbie. I'm going to Rome on 14th and just wanted to say 'hello'. I'm flying from Gatwick, so I expect I'll meet with some of you there.

Philippa

Margaret P
(Member)
'Sue44' wrote:

Hiya, I am thinking of booking to go on the Rome City break, has anyone else been on it, how does the evening meal situation work as they are not included, and how much of Rome do you actually see?

I have never been away on my own so this would very new to me and I am a little scared, but Rome has always been somewhere I have always wanted to go and thought it would be a good start.

Sue

Hi Sue,

I was thinking about the Rome short break as its somewhere I have always wanted to go, but decided against it with the flights been from Gatwick and I live in North Wales so its not worth all the hassle of travelling to Gatwick airport for a 4 day holiday and the expense of staying in an hotel night before. so I would probably go on my own its not ideal as I like the safely of a group or find someone to travel with from Mancheste

I have been to Just You holidays before and usually the tour guide suggested places where you can go for meals.

I am sure you will have a great time if you decide to go

Best wishes

Margaret

evelynj
(Member)
Hi Philippa

I am on this trip and I will look out for Just You labels at the airport.

Regards

Eve

Newtothis
(Guest)
'evelynj' wrote:

Hi Philippa

I am on this trip and I will look out for Just You labels at the airport.

Regards

Eve

Hi Eve

That's nice. Look forward to meeting you. I'm thinking that I should have booked the Rome by night, trip, as the feedback looks good. If time I will try and before Saturday, but if not do you know if you can book direct with the tour guide at the airport?

Thanks,

Philippa

evelynj
(Member)
Hi Philippa

You can pre book it or book it in the resort according to the final information letter. I will book when I get to resort following good feedback of this excursion on another thread.

Look forward to meeting you on Saturday.

Eve

Newtothis
(Guest)
Thanks, Eve

I had time today, so have booked it.

Look forward to meeting you and others on Saturday.

Philippa

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Guys

One last little Rome tip before you all head off tomorrow - if you like ice creams and sorbets etc, the best Gelato shop in Rome is called Della Palma (150 varieties!).

When you are on the walking tour you will go to the Pantheon and the shop is only 300 yards away. With your back to the pantheon you will see a very small side street going straight up in front of you on your right. If you walk up there, after 200 yards you will see a giant gold Lindt bunny (I kid you not - it's huge) in a shop door way and Della Palma is on the very next corner. (Mini tip - don't go straight to the ice cream - you have to go to the cashier at the back of the shop, pay for however many scoops you want and then take your receipt to the guys at the counter and just point at which ever flavours you fancy) By Rome standards, it's not hugely expensive and it's really an Italian experience that you'll want to try.

Have a super time - wish I was going back with you!

Mandy

izzyin
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Sue44' wrote:

Sue

Hi .Not been to Rome with JY but have been twice on my own. Meals out-just sit at a table and smile, restaurants everywhere,particularly in the streets around the Spanish Steps and down towards the Tiber. Do your home work, Rome isn't big and you can walk to anywhere providing you have a destination in mind so-street map and a brief history of Rome is essential. List the bits you want to see and hunt them down. And don't waste time on a guided tour of the Collliseum. Wilkepedia it and go it alone. Good luck