BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julia/Mildred,

Now that the bank holiday weekend is over (or will be by the time this is moderated!), can you please give us another teaser for a new tour?

With every good wish,

Bob

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob,

I will grant your every good wish.....

So, this time lets jump on a plane and fly west, heading 'over the pond' to see what delights await us in three magnificent eastern states.

Kindest regards,

Julia

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Julia, so another new US tour eh?  Interesting...

:)

All the best,

Bob

katy1717
(Member)
Depends which 3 eastern states they are .......... I was hoping that JY would do the TS 6 states of New England tour - I really want to go to Maine, Rhode Island and Connecticut (and Vermont and New Hampshire outside of ski season) so would love that tour. I know JY do a tour to Rhode Island, stays in the same place, it compares very badly to the TS tour.
BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Katy,

I see Thailand has appeared on the website - similar itinerary to the last incarnation of this tour but it doesn't include an add-on to Laos, so it hasn't jumped to the top of my wish list!

There is also a revamped Florida tour including Georgia and South Carolina which is what Julia must have been hinting at!

Hopefully a few more new tours will appear soon.  I got the new TS brochures today, no new tours to speak of...

All the best,

Bob

katy1717
(Member)
Hi Bob, trust you to spot the new tours as they hit the website. I might be persuaded by a Thailand tour, have already got a trip for November set up that includes Laos so that omission wouldn't worry me. Will have a look at the new US trip, never been to Georgia (apart from Atlanta airport..... nightmare) or South Carolina.

Waiting to hear what you and Mike make of the South America trip in November - not been to South America yet. I have some serious catching up to do. Tho' off to Iceland next week.

Regards

Katy

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Everyone,

Just read an email with the Florida, Georgia and South Carolina trip- looks good. Thailand not so keen on as I want to see Cambodia and Vietnam at the same time. Walking in the Swiss Alps and Austrian Tyrol Winter Wonderland- not for me either.

Heyho roll on next new holidays :rolleyes: 

Jan

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Well the much anticipated brochure has arrived and I have to say I am slightly underwhelmed.  The cover says 30 new holidays but some of the 'new' holidays were already on offer this year.  The index looks impressive with lots of 'NEW' banners but on closer inspection many are duplicates listed several times under different country categories.

Come on JY - be honest with us.  The range of holidays is impressive but don't call them new when they are not - if they have been revamped then call them that.

Moderator2
(Member)
'jonah' wrote:

Well the much anticipated brochure has arrived and I have to say I am slightly underwhelmed.  The cover says 30 new holidays but some of the 'new' holidays were already on offer this year.  The index looks impressive with lots of 'NEW' banners but on closer inspection many are duplicates listed several times under different country categories.

Come on JY - be honest with us.  The range of holidays is impressive but don't call them new when they are not - if they have been revamped then call them that.

Good Afternoon Jonah,

You might have seen a couple of the new tours already but the reason they still have the 'new' label on them is because the tours haven't operated yet.

Kindest Regards,

Mildred

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
lesley07
(Member)
Hi Jonah

I too am underwhelmed with "new tours" in the brochure. Also noted a hike in prices for most tours. I still have a fairly long wish list so it may take a bit longer to complete it!!

Lesley

ElizabethF
(Member)
Hi Jonah I had some similar thoughts to you on these 'new' holidays in the brochure... although I understand what Mildred explained

Best wishes ElizabethF

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jonah, I agree with you - there are only a couple of tours that are actually new.  I also take on board Mildred's explanation - however I think it would be more helpful all round if they were labelled "new for 2017" or "new for 2018."  I'm also disappointed that the approval rating for existing tours has disappeared - in fact, almost all the little boxes at the title of the tour have disappeared, which I think is a pity.  Previously you could see at a glance (thanks to those little boxes) whether a tour was half/full board/many meals included, all excursions included, approval rating etc.  On the upside, it is great to have the prices in the brochure for each departure once again - I did not like having to consult a separate price guide one bit.

To be honest, I think we were spoiled last year with a huge number of new tours being launched, most of which now have 2018 dates.  I think JY is pretty much at maximum level for the amount of tours they can offer versus demand - and we know the average number booked per tour has decreased considerably since they increased the number of tours on offer.  I'm personally very happy that JY are currently offering a wider range of tours and are letting them run with lower numbers.  It increases our choice.  However, I am very concerned that the price of many tours has increased considerably over the last year.  It can't all be put down to Brexit/falling value of sterling - as sterling is at a similar level (compared to the euro at least) as it was five to seven years ago!  Coming from Ireland and booking with a UK firm, I have to keep a close eye on the exchange rate!  

Cheers,

Bob

SusieB
(Member)
'jonah' wrote:

Well done Jonah you echoed my thoughts exactly.

Also disappointed that for quite a few holidays there are, as yet, no 2018 dates. Seems to me this brochure has been rushed out just to keep the peace for now. Hopefully there will be more to come in the near future!

Sue

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Sue and all,

JY usually bring out a brochure in September and traditionally it is this brochure that has the bulk of the new tours for the following year, plus the remainder of dates for existing tours so I presume it will be the same this year - unless Julia or Mildred tell us otherwise!  I am very much looking forward to the new Romania tour which has been promised for the Sept brochure...

All the best,

Bob

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Mildred.

I understand the explanation you have given for calling previously offered tours 'NEW' but I agree with Bob that there should be some differentiation to highlight Brand New Tours.  It still doesn't explain why tours that visit more than one country have to be listed under each country with a 'NEW' tag as well as the generic Europe.  It still smacks of making the choice look much wider than it actually is.  May be a good tactic to attract interest but one that will soon be seen through.

Best wishes

SusieB
(Member)
Hi Bob

I'm sure you're right about the next brochure. Haven't even done my 2 holidays booked for this year yet but still being impatient about 2018. I guess that's what happens once you catch the "JY Bug"

Happy travelling

Sue

TimH
  • (Member)
(Member)
Not got my new brochure yet but I'm pleased to see from the website there's some more long haul christmas tours. I'm tempted by Burma for christmas, but the price is significantly more than the standard tour for what seems an identical itinerary, while I realise christmas can be more expensive there's no mention of a christmas meal; the 2 previous christmas tours I've been on did have special christmas banquets.

Tim

Angie S
(Member)
There did not seen to be the same hype this April/May compared to last year. I was kind of glad as I want to do an existing tour and not have it bumped down the list. Disappointed therefore there are no 2018 dates for Colombia. Still other tours I fancy but need to think about costs - many of the longer hauls are getting seriously expensive.

A

DAWNK
  • (Member)
(Member)
I agree that the long haul tours have hiked up considerably for next year, in particular the USA tours. I was looking at doing the Great Eastern USA trip for next year but the price for next September for the Manchester departure has gone up so much compared to this year. Its looking like it will be the New England and Canada in the Fall trip as there is a Manchester departure for next September and the price is considerably less, even though it is for a similar number of nights.   

I can’t understand how some tours go up so much from one year to the next when nothing has changed in the itinerary. It will surely put people off going with JU, particularly when you look at similar tours with Travelsphere, the price comes out  a lot cheaper even when you add the single supplement. Just feels like as a single traveller, we are getting ripped off.

Dawn K