BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mildred,

The new Contrasts of South America tour looks fabulous - although I've been to Buenos Aires and Rio before I might be interested in it, if not next year then at some stage after that!  I'm very surprised however that whilst in Bolivia that the tour doesn't visit the world famous Uyuni salt flats and instead visits some rather obscure places in north-western Argentina!  However the description of the tour does mention "vast salt deserts" so I'm wondering which ones are visited (or perhaps Uyuni is on the itinerary but just hasn't been mentioned)?  Is the transport from La Paz to Salta by air or coach?  It looks a very long journey if it's by road!

I realise this is a brand new tour but hope that the holiday creators have this info to hand!

Best wishes,

Bob

Moderator2
(Member)
Hi Bob,

I am pleased to hear that you think the tour is fabulous.. I can tell you that you will be flying from La Paz to Salta

Regarding the Uyuni flats, these were initially my intended flats to visit. However, they do have issues, Uyuni as a town is very rural, therefore the hotels in the area are often basic, with a relatively small selection to use. There are salt hotels, but these are often lacking heating which is less than ideal as the flats become exceptionally cold at night. However, in Argentina the area surrounding the flats, whilst being incredibly beautiful and mountainous has plenty of hotels and importantly diverse excursions, helping to depict the ‘contrasts of South America’! The flats visited are called the Salinas Grandes and are similar to the Uyuni flats – You will still be able to take incredible pictures (thanks to the varsity of the flats!)

I hope this helps,

Kind Regards,

Mildred.

BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mildred,

Many thanks for this most helpful answer!  This makes the tour even more appealing, as beautiful/unusual landscapes are my number one favourite thing to see on holiday!  Your comments make perfect sense - and we do like to stay in decent, comfortable hotels!  I do hope this tour is a success (I don't have enough annual leave or funds to do it next year!!) but hopefully I might be able to do it in a couple of years.  Fingers crossed!!

All the best,

Bob