BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi sim1,

Thanks for your reply, I will certainly pack my swimming gear! If it's that steamy I won't be able to see through my glasses, which could be interesting!!

Cheers,

Bob

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Helicopter ride update

Hi All

I've spoken to the helicopter company and booked the four of us (Sally, Bob, Mike and myself) on the Geothermal Tour at 8am on Thursday 19th March (our last day in Iceland).

They allowed me to secure your seats by paying in full for mine. You can all pay them on arrival at the airport on the day (So you definitely don't need to go into Sterling Bob). I have been watching our Icelandair flight times on their website and there haven't been any changes so I felt it was safe to take a punt and book before receiving my JY documents (as I'm in Jersey, I usually have to wait an extra week to receive JY paperwork because its sent 2nd class, and I didn't want to risk losing our helitour by leaving it until the last minute.)

Sally - I don't think I every answered your question - yes please for me. If you are happy to do the whale watching booking, I'll settle up with you on arrival, if not, let me know which website to go to and I'll book my seat.

Not long now!

Mandy

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mandy,

Thanks for all your hard work in arranging this for us - I'll bring extra Kroner to allow for the helicopter ride and pay on arrival at the airport as you suggest.

Sally - will you be doing the whale watching trip on the afternoon of day 2 or day 3? I could book the same using the link you gave us earlier. I would like some time to explore Reykjavik and perhaps pick up a souvenir or two, but that could be done on the remaining free afternoon.

See you soon

Cheers

Mike

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mandy,

Many thanks for sorting this out, I presume I can pay by credit card at the airport?

Hi Sally, have you thought any more about booking the whale watching?

Best wishes to you both, this time four weeks we'll be there (fingers crossed)!!

Cheers,

Bob

sallyc
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Mike

The only time we could do the whale watching is on Day 2. According to the information from Julia our city tour on day 2 is from 9-12 so we should be fine for the 1pm boat whereas Day 3 we don't finish at the Blue Lagoon til 2pm. We have that afternoon and evening free so I'm thinking that should give us enough time to explore Reykjavik. I'm happy to book your ticket or as you say you can use the link to book yourself. They quote two prices - one including hotel pick up which I don't think we'll need as I'm hoping the local guide will be able to drop us off at the harbour on the way back to the hotel.

Mandy

Thanks so much again for sorting this. I'm happy to book your whale watching ticket if you like and will let you know the exact amount after I've done it.

Bob

I'll book the boat (got tired of typing whale watching so many times!) this weekend.

I've been keeping an eye on the weather and also a webcam there and it seems we can expect snow, rain and sun all in one day so I'm going prepared for everything!

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Sally, that would be great. Yes it looks like the weather is very unpredictable at present - anything from -7C to 7C! I got the JY holiday information pack today for Namibia, very exciting!! Obviously I'm going to book both optional excursions there too...

Cheers,

Bob

sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I'm going to book the dolphin trip but am going to wait for the Township tour. I don't feel very comfortable doing that kind of trip but it would depend on the resort and what else there is to do there.
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob

I too am thinking of booking both optional excursions for Namibia. Just a little concerned about whether or not the sea is going to be rough. I think I will take a chance anyway and sincerely hope that I will be okay. Getting quite excited.

Jaya

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Further Helicopter Ride update

Hi Bob, Sally and Mike (and Julia - don't want to leave you out!)

The Helicopter company have confirmed that they are happy for you all to pay on the day at the airport, and either ISK cash or Credit cards will be fine. We have to be there by 7.30am at the latest, so I suggest we get a cab at 7 to give you time to settle up.

The other good news is that they still have space in the helicopter so if any one else on the JY tour decides that they would like to come along, it should be no problem for four more people (any more and they would need an extra chopper or use a bigger one - ours is an 8 seater). They have given me a contact number so it'll be easy to add extras to the booking.

Three weeks and counting!

Mandy

sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Bob & Mandy

I have booked our whale watching trip for Monday 16th at 1pm. The price is 8500isk, or £40 or €50 whichever suits you - we can settle up when we meet IN THREE WEEKS TIME!!!!

Mike - I didn't book yours as I wasn't sure if you'd decided or not but if you go to the 'elding.is' web page its the Winter Whale Watching trip.

I've got my krona sorted (Tesco online collected in three days) just need the next three weeks to fly by. The forecast is for lots of snow there this week so fingers crossed it stays for a while.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mandy and Sally,

Thank you both most sincerely for organising the chopper flight and whale watching - I am so looking forward to both! It has been great for me to have you organise these, as I spend much of my time organising things it is lovely to have someone else do it for a change! I will buy you both a drink (or two!) when we get to Iceland!

Getting very excited now, less than three weeks to go!!

Cheers,

Bob

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Bob & Mandy

I have booked our whale watching trip for Monday 16th at 1pm. The price is 8500isk, or £40 or €50 whichever suits you - we can settle up when we meet IN THREE WEEKS TIME!!!!

Mike - I didn't book yours as I wasn't sure if you'd decided or not but if you go to the 'elding.is' web page its the Winter Whale Watching trip.

I've got my krona sorted (Tesco online collected in three days) just need the next three weeks to fly by. The forecast is for lots of snow there this week so fingers crossed it stays for a while.

Hi Sally,

I've booked the whale watching trip today. Just need to organise some currency, dust off my suitcase, pack my winter woollies and I'll be good to go!

Cheers

Mike

sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Good news Mike. See you in 20 days and counting.
sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
A colleague of mine has just come back from Iceland and has given me a few tips to pass on. A pair of ice grips are advisable (if it stays cold), particularly for the Golden Circle tour. They are available in lots of places over there but are more expensive than over here. I seem to recall I got mine from Cotswolds. Also a scarf or polar buff to cover your face as the wind is very cold. The whale watching trip provides full body suits which are worn over your clothing but don't scrimp on layers as it gets very very cold. Although they didn't see any whales on their trip they still enjoyed seeing the island from a different perspective and got a free return trip valid for two years. I have some recommendations for cafes and restaurants to try.

I saw from another post that there are 37 of us going so it should be a full on trip.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

A colleague of mine has just come back from Iceland and has given me a few tips to pass on. A pair of ice grips are advisable (if it stays cold), particularly for the Golden Circle tour. They are available in lots of places over there but are more expensive than over here. I seem to recall I got mine from Cotswolds. Also a scarf or polar buff to cover your face as the wind is very cold. The whale watching trip provides full body suits which are worn over your clothing but don't scrimp on layers as it gets very very cold. Although they didn't see any whales on their trip they still enjoyed seeing the island from a different perspective and got a free return trip valid for two years. I have some recommendations for cafes and restaurants to try.

I saw from another post that there are 37 of us going so it should be a full on trip.

Sally

I want to see a picture of you and Bob in full BODY suits!!!!!

Cindy

sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I think our cameras may be broken that day.......
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

I think our cameras may be broken that day.......

:@ LOL........

Spoil Sport.....

Cindy

Bosuncat
(Member)
:thumbup:

I hope not! Expecting to see loads of great photos Sally!!

Julie White
(Member)
Hello Sally and Bob

Have a fantastic time in Iceland. You will love every minute of it

Warm regards Julie

sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)