Flickers
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
None of the sites that I have looked at offer holidays falling in school holidays. Presumably this is due to the fact that hotels don't make rooms available to single travellers during these times. It would seem that single teachers have very few travel options open to them unless they are prepared to pay prohibitive single supplements. Is there anything you can do for us?
Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Flickers,

http://www.justyou.co.uk/forum/thread-56101-page-2.html 

Kindest regards,

Julia

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments as ever!

I thought I would give you a bit more info on why we don't have lots of school holidays dates in the brochure.

Late July and August is peak season for most European destinations and European airlines. Therefore not only are prices higher but also hotels/airlines are less keen to let us have allocations of 35 rooms per night.

We have tried to increase our mid summer departures a few times in the past but we have not seen enough bookings to justify it - presumably because prices are higher and also many non-teachers don't want to travel in the height of summer.

We have to be very careful with our hotel partners that we don't take these large blocks of rooms only to hand them back unsold for obvious reasons.

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Although not a teacher myself I did Austrian Lakes last August with JY and there was quite a few teachers on the trip. Its a nice holiday and I believe still runs in August.

Personally i did all the excurrsions which were very good but some people chilled by the lake (swam in the lake) as the hotel as a lawned area on the lake with a few chairs and sun beds. Others went walking in the hills so whatever you like doing is available.

Mick

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I too have been on the Austrian Lake tour which was well worth going on, beautiful setting by the lake, no one swum from our group we were all too busy eating cakes and drinking coffee in the little place along the road..great tour not to hectic, good hotel and a nice bunch of people.

Cindy

RosieMo
(Member)
Hi Flickers,

I too am limited to school holidays. I went to Russia this summer which was a week in August. Very interesting (and a lovely and brilliant ex-teacher as a local guide in Moscow!) I also have to be around for A level results day which limits my options even further. I have sometimes found short breaks in half term weeks.

RM.

TonyW
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

I went on Douro River cruise end of July. We had a quite few teachers in group. We had a good group, had a great time and had a great tour manager Ricardo Lima.

Tony :thumbup:

keep traveling this is real life not a rehearsal

RosieMo
(Member)
Hi again Flickers - just been having a quick scan on the website, there are city breaks to Rome, Florence and Berlin running at Easter and / or October half term 2014, but I haven't seen anything yet in the other sections - not that I've done an exhaustive search.
Flickers
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Its helpful to have your searches narrowed down and to have feedback on the few options that there are.
MARIE W
(Member)
I'm also restricted to the school holidays and have just taken my first JY trip to China in August. I've been looking for a holiday to take at Easter and there are trips to America Golden West and also Peru. Hope you find something that fits in with the school hols as JY is a great company to travel with.

Marie

Gwyn
  • (Member)
(Member)
Since my first JY holiday in 2008, I have often struggled to get something that appeals in school holiday time, especially as I have to be on hand for A level and/or GCSE results.

I've done a now deleted Austria holiday, Lake Garda (which in 2009 had one date in July which I could make), Apulia (twice - it's really good), Austrian Lake.

I think this new brochure offers possibly the best range I've seen. I'm probably going to do two holidays in 2014. Possible candidates include:

EASTER - Tuscany, Monet, Sicily, Berlin

SUMMER - Albi etc, Rome, Florence, Croatia, Prague Vienna & Budapest,

Spoilt for choice! Good old JY!

RosieMo
(Member)
Great news Gwyn! Not got my brochure yet, will read it closely when it arrives - hopefully over w/e - Croatia is a strong contender!

Enjoy the weekend,

RM.

Gwyn
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hmm. I've received my brochure and the dates for some holidays don't tally with those I took down from the website. This means that Croatia is now out of my Summer reckoning but Garda and the Opera is in. That's a no brainer as when I did Garda in 2009, the opera was not available and I REALLY want to do it!

So probs looking at Tuscany for Easter and Garda in late July. I'll mull it over for a bit first though!