bondensbabe
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Olly. I haven't used travellers cheques for a long time, but get very nervous using ATM's in foreign countries, although I will take some Euro's with me. In your experience are traveller's cheques still easily exchangeable in hotels in Europe?

I am aware of course of the Travellers Debit card, but would still like to exchange money actually in the hotel if this still goes on!

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello

I too haven't used travellers' cheques for a long time as I find them quite expensive and inconvenient but I think you can still change them in some hotels. Failing that, you should have the chance to change them at banks if you are visiting towns that are big enough.

Personally I would take plenty of cash and my cards for most holidays. I have used my bank card in quite a few countries around the world and never had any problems. It's a good idea to let you bank know if you plan to do this just in case they block the card.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

bondensbabe
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Olly' wrote:

Hello

I too haven't used travellers' cheques for a long time as I find them quite expensive and inconvenient but I think you can still change them in some hotels. Failing that, you should have the chance to change them at banks if you are visiting towns that are big enough.

Personally I would take plenty of cash and my cards for most holidays. I have used my bank card in quite a few countries around the world and never had any problems. It's a good idea to let you bank know if you plan to do this just in case they block the card.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

Thanks Olly. Just wanted to pay a compliment to the lovely lady on your Customer Services this morning. I had to ring about another matter, and took the opportunity to ask her. Unfortunately she was unable to answer me the question at the time.

I think as you say I will take the cash and use the cards then. I do know I have to let my bank know that I will not be in the country, but thank you for reminding me. ;)

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I have not used travellers cheques in decades, I just have cash and cards which have always worked very well for me on all the JY tours I have been on.

Cindy

bondensbabe
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

I have not used travellers cheques in decades, I just have cash and cards which have always worked very well for me on all the JY tours I have been on.

Cindy

Thanks