JMCC
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Olly

I plan to take some Yuan in cash and the rest of my money as travellers cheques. I have been advised by my bank that Sterling travellers cheques will be more economical than US Dollar cheques because I will only have to pay commission with them once (assuming that I don't blow the lot 🙂 )

Is it easy to change Sterling cheques in the hotels? I will also take a UK Visa debit card, but I have read that ATMs can be erratic in China.

Does this make sense? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joyce

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Joyce

Hotels (and banks) will usually change money for you though you might not get the best rate. It's probably the most convenient way to do it though.

Note that Some hotels are refusing to accept Travellers' Cheques with the following logos:

- Visa T/C’s issued by Interpayment Services Ltd

- Master Card T/C’s issued by Thomas Cook Ltd

Your bank's advice about Sterling Travellers' Cheques sounds sensible.

As you say, you can also use your debit/credit card at cashpoints, though this will be more difficult in rural areas where cashpoints are scarce. Check with your bank if you card is suitable. This would save you all the bother of buying and changing Travellers' Cheques.

Bear in mind too that you are allowed to take 6,000 yuan in cash into the country (about £400), so if you think you might spend that much, I would recommend ordering this amount from your bank or the Post Office.

Personally, I would take the full 6,000 yuan in cash and also my bank debit card in case I needed a bit more.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

gayerobinson
(Member)
is the restriction of 100mls liquid only apply to hand luggage or also the case going into the hold?Work colleages say okay in hold but they have n't been to China!cheers Gaye
Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Gaye

There will be no problem with putting larger volumes of liquid in your hold luggage.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor