pbro1701
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
DEAR FELLOW TRAVELERS, I'M WRITING IN CAPITALS BECAUSE I'VE BROKEN MY WRIST IN TWO PLACES SO TYPING WITH LEFT HAND. IF MY WRIST CONTINUES TO BE 'SET' WELL NEXT WEDNESDAY THE 15TH THEN THE CAST MAY COME OFF IN A FURTHER 4 WEEKS AND THEN I CAN HAVE TWO WEEKS OF PHYSIO BEFORE THE 27TH. 

THAT IS THE BEST POSSIBLE SCENARIO.

I'M TRAVELLING FROM NEWCASTLE THAT DAY TO HEATHROW THEN ONCE MY LUGGAGE IS HANDED OVER I WILL HOPEFULLY MEET YOU GUYS IN THE EXEC. LOUNGE AND RELAX.

ANY THOUGHTS? IS THIS RIDICULOUS OR SHOULD I POSTPONE TO NOVEMBER? 

ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE OF HOW PHYSICALLY HARD THIS TOUR MAY BE?

THANK YOU

PAM X

DawnH
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Pam,

Sorry to hear about your wrist.

I haven't been to Sri Lanka so sorry I can't advise you on how physically hard this tour will be but my advice to you would be to speak to your doctor.

A lot of people don't realise but with a broken bone no airline will let you on their flight without a letter from your doctor saying you are safe to travel. If you haven't got one they will just deny you boarding and you won't be going anywhere. Your doctor should also be able to advise you on whether or not they think you would be able to handle the trip or not.

Dawn

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Pam

Firstly many commiserations on your bad luck breaking your wrist.  I would say you need to speak to physio department to see if 2 weeks physio is going to be enough.  I know when I broke my upper arm some years ago the physio was months rather than weeks.  As you say is also depends on how well it sets.

Heart breaking but in your position I would be cancelling as if your wrist isn't 'mended' properly which includes the right amount of physio, you could have problems for the rest of your life.  In addition if you need treatment on your wrist abroad would your insurance cover you for a pre-existing condition?

Regards

SarahS
(Member)
Sadly, I agree with Jonah. Two weeks physio is unlikely to bring you back to full fitness, doing too much too early could have long term implications. Having also suffered a broken wrist some years ago, I was really surprised when the plaster came off at how much loss of use I had suffered. Everyone is different, but, in my case it was six to eight weeks before the recovery was complete. I had to cancel a holiday,on the recommendation of my insurers . I was told that I would not be covered in. event any complications. I know this isn’t what you wanted to hear, and I do wish you a speedy recovery, and, a fabulous time in Sri Lanka whenever you travel
pbro1701
(Member) (Topic Starter)
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU ADVICE, DECISION TIME THIS WEEK BUT I THINK ITS A CANCELLATION
pbro1701
(Member) (Topic Starter)
THANK YOU ALL.

JUST YOU HAVE TRANSFERRED MY HOLIDAY TO THE NOVEMBER ONE. THEY HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC AND NOW THE DECISION HAS BEEN MADE. I AM MUCH RELIEVED.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I know it’s hard but I would postpone, like others say you will not be allowed in a flight with a visible injury with out a letter from your doctor. I broke a metatarsal in my food many years ago and although not in a cat or even a boot I was in crutches and had to have a letter from doctors to say FIT TO FLY.

I would air on it’s better to cancel and then be fully fit, than risk causing more problems by going..

Ultimately let the medical profession give the correct diagnosis, on the way forward.

Good Luck !

Cindy