GammaT
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Im booked on the Global Explorer Holiday 2019.   This holiday is not long now and I am only a little worried as to how I will pack all I need in one suitcase with only 20kg allowance.   Ive never been away for 32 days and we will need clothes to cover most weathers.   Any info from anyone that has been on this trip before or is travelling with us in September would be very helpful.   I am going to visit a Boots Travel Clinic next week to discuss possible vaccinations etc, but really feeling slightly out of my depth on the planning otherwise. 😉
Vickie
(Member)
Hi GammaT,

I'm sure your fellow travellers who have previously been on this trip can give their own tips, but an example packing list is below:

Padlocks to lock your suitcase

A smaller bag or rucksack for days out

Money belt

Clothing to suit the weather conditions in your destination - even in warm climates, it can be cool in the mornings and evenings

Comfortable shoes and socks to wear during excursions

Sun cream, sun hat, sunglasses

Personal medical kit including insect repellent

Antibacterial wipes

A water/windproof jacket

A shawl or sarong to cover shoulders during visits places of worship

Torch, adaptor plug, chargers for phones and cameras, spare batteries

Scarf or bandana to protect your face against dust and wind at high altitude

Spare glasses

Toilet paper

Snacks, tea bags/coffee, milk powder, instant soups or anything you need to support dietary requirements

Camera and spare film/memory card

Many thanks,

Vickie

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
The longest trip I did was 22 day to New Zealand...I would suggest mix and match clothes and go for layers, do you also have a hand luggage amount as it might be worth investing in a cabin bag on wheels as well. Decant your toiletries into smaller bottles. Take some travel wash to rinse things out. I did try to use machines in hotels but it wasn’t successful as to few machines for the amount of people using them, and trying to get tokens or powder wasn’t easy. I did double up with one lady for 1 wash!! .so make sure you have a few bits you can wash and hang on a hanger to dry!...

Many years ago 1 traveller said he got all his stuff from charity’s shops and just binned the clothes as he went !! Might be worth thinking about then you will have room for stuff you buy!.

Cindy

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi

I know the feeling with only a very mingy 20kg for such a long holiday, we are in the same boat, going to New Zealand for a friends 60th next April, 4 of sharing up with Distant Journeys, 23 days including 2 in Dubai outward, like Cindy myself and one other have purchased a wheelie cabin bag to throw things in, a friend was also taking about taking some cheap clothes and ditching them and was talking of using washing machines in the hotels but i'm not so sure, takes time and time will be limited, working out how to use them, waiting for an available machine etc, my plans would be to try keep clothing down to a minimum, keep those toiletries down, ditch and buy if need to and keep them heavy footwear down, if you can one pair does everything is the way to go with 20kg or if you have to put a lightweight pair in hand luggage, no need to take your own heavy towels i know what some people are like they take everything but the kitchen sink, Travelwash you could pack to wash a few things as you go, i know my friends won't listen so they'll just have to learn the hard way when they get pulled at check in, Digital scales is also very useful, i also take spare reading glasses incase i lose or break them, i also take them 3 or 2 in one coffee sachets now, we too will have to cater for all seasons in New Zealand

have a great time

Dave

SarahS
(Member)
I agree Dave. Mix and match easy dry outfits are the way to go. For ultra long trips I buy cheap packs of underwear and wear once. Every thing else is easy wash and quick dry. Rolling washing in a towel before handing up to dry removes a surprising amount of water. Decant must have toiletries into small containers, Prixmark do a good cheap range, for the rest rely on what hotels provide. I use drawstring bags for toiletries, colour coded, one each for body hair and sun lotions. Very easy to hang up when bathroom space is limited. I also take wire hangers to hang washing on.
GammaT
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
:cool: Thankyou for this all of you.   its very helpful.   Ive taken on board all of the advice, really looking forward to my trip.
Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi,

Just to add to everyone else's suggestions - packing cubes are brilliant for sorting out your underwear, t-shirts etc.  I always wash my own clothes on long haul trips - take Travelwash - as I tend to wear quick drying clothes - Rohan, Craghoppers etc. I also take one of the stretchy clothes washing lines which you can fix on to virtually anything in bathrooms. I tend not to use hotel laundries as the washing powder they used in Thailand made me itch for an 11 hour flight home!

Have a great time!

Cheers,

Hils