GammaT
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
This is a question for those that did the Global Explorer last year and for those doing it this year in September.   How did you manage with the different currencies?   Did you buy travellers cheques?  (outdated I feel), or take the currencies (bulky and maybe dangerous - or did you use a prepaid card for shopping and meals or just use your usual credit card.   We have not yet been given guidance but the holiday is getting closer. 😕
jah39
  • (Member)
(Member)
I don't know if this helps but when I travel I use my ZERO credit card with Santander. The exchange rates when you get home are really good. I did use a pre-paid card with the Post Office which I loaded with Australian Dollars when I was in Australia, but every time you used it they took a percentage of what you purchased !! Not a good idea.

Look forward to your comments on the Trip as I plan to do it next year. I am doing Inspiration China on 19th September this year. Chinese Embassy appointment on 30th July for my Vias !

GammaT
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I shall certainly give my comments to the forum afterwards. It seems no one from the previous global explorer tours has wanted to share their experiences, but Im sure that most of us going this year would appreciate some feedback and advice.
trisho
(Member)
'GammaT' wrote:

I shall certainly give my comments to the forum afterwards.   It seems no one from the previous global explorer tours has wanted to share their experiences, but Im sure that most of us going this year would appreciate some feedback and advice.

Not everyone uses the JY forum ( the majority don’t ) and I think that only in the region of 60 people have actually done this tour which makes the odds for you getting a response pretty low. I do , however, know someone who has done the trip and so I asked for you. She took cash - small amounts of the currencies available in the UK plus sterling and dollars with a credit card for back up . Her tour manager was aware of people’s need to change cash as will yours. Re clothes , a waterproof , a fleece or sweater , tops in various sleeve lengths, shorts, crops and a pair of long trousers - essentially mix and match and capable of being layered. Maybe one slightly dressier outfit ??? I’ve seen your tour manager post  advice about some other trips on here so maybe she will offer advice nearer the time? HTH , have a fabulous trip and do post a review when you’re home

Trish

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Tina

Not everyone who travels with Just You uses the Forum hence you have not yet heard from anyone who has done this trip previously. Why don't you just take Sterling and US$ and exchange them as and when you need to? I usually take one credit card just in case.

Have a lovely time.

Regards

Jaya

Donna1
(Member)
'jah39' wrote:

I don't know if this helps but when I travel I use my ZERO credit card with Santander. The exchange rates when you get home are really good. I did use a pre-paid card with the Post Office which I loaded with Australian Dollars  when I was in Australia, but every time you used it they took a percentage of what you purchased !! Not a good idea.

Look forward to your comments on the Trip as I plan to do it next year. I am doing Inspiration China on 19th September this year. Chinese Embassy appointment on 30th July for my Vias !

Hi,

Just seeing this post. I'm not doing the holiday but use a post office pre paid card regularly and never had a percentage of what I've purchased taken off. I've used it for US dollars on several trips but would think they'd treat all currencies the same.

Donna

GammaT
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'trisho wrote:

'GammaT' wrote:

I shall certainly give my comments to the forum afterwards.   It seems no one from the previous global explorer tours has wanted to share their experiences, but Im sure that most of us going this year would appreciate some feedback and advice.

Not everyone uses the JY forum ( the majority don’t ) and I think that only in the region of 60 people have actually done this tour which makes the odds for you getting a response pretty low. I do , however, know someone who has done the trip and so I asked for you. She took cash - small amounts of the currencies available in the UK plus sterling and dollars with a credit card for back up . Her tour manager was aware of people’s need to change cash as will yours. Re clothes , a waterproof , a fleece or sweater , tops in various sleeve lengths, shorts, crops and a pair of long trousers - essentially mix and match and capable of being layered. Maybe one slightly dressier outfit ??? I’ve seen your tour manager post  advice about some other trips on here so maybe she will offer advice nearer the time? HTH , have a fabulous trip and do post a review when you’re home

Trish

GammaT
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Donna1 wrote:

:)

'jah39' wrote:

I don't know if this helps but when I travel I use my ZERO credit card with Santander. The exchange rates when you get home are really good. I did use a pre-paid card with the Post Office which I loaded with Australian Dollars  when I was in Australia, but every time you used it they took a percentage of what you purchased !! Not a good idea.

Hi,

Just seeing this post. I'm not doing the holiday but use a post office pre paid card regularly and never had a percentage of what I've purchased taken off. I've used it for US dollars on several trips but would think they'd treat all currencies the same.

Donna