davidj
(Member)
When I went on this trip 2 years ago about a third of the people went to Robben Island. I booked on the internet from home, some booked on the internet at the hotel and I think the hotel reception helped some people. We were lucky that the coach dropped us at the port. Four of us shared a taxi back to the hotel and it cost about £5 (£1.25 each) including tip.
Jellifer
(Member)
'user@justme' wrote:

I have been told it is quite chilly at the top of the mountain so you have to be prepared. Is that right?

I went this time last year and we went straight to Table Mountain from the airport. Weather was beautiful so was glad I had packed sunscreen in my hand luggage as it got really hot in the queue for the cable car. It wasn't cold at the top at all but it may be different for you. We had some free time at the top to enjoy the beautiful views. 

Let me know if you have any further questions about the trip and have a fabulous time!

1981Kedi
(Member)
I went on the TS South Africa trip in September last year - very similar to the JY itinerary in Cape Town. I wanted to experience Robben Island and either stayed on at the harbour or was dropped off after a tour - sorry - can't remember which - brain cell is tired! I just went into the Robben Island centre at the harbour and bought a ticket - couple of TS people were on the same boat as me and several TS people bought tickets on the day for a later sailing. 

I am glad I did the tour, which was narrated by an ex prisoner, a personal insight into the life of those interned on the island. The boat trip was fun too! We had a rather elderly boat, the later travellers returned more swiftly on a posh catamaran!

On returning to the harbour I spent some time in the shops - some interesting craft work on display, and then visited the aquarium. When the aquarium closed I asked a doorman to flag down a taxi and was driven directly to the hotel. During the TS tour we were shown where to get an official taxi in the harbour area - plenty available and very reasonable.

As previously stated, "each to their own", but I am glad I took the opportunity to visit Robben Island.

Also - in our case Table Mountain was covered in cloud as we arrived so it was a case of wait and see when our visit could be re-arranged. Luckily the skies cleared one morning and, along with many others, we queued in the very hot sun for quite a while before taking the cable car. It was sunny and hot at the top - but I guess it could be a bit chilly - as usual "be prepared"!

Not long now! Have a wonderful time.

SueStricks
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

:rolleyes: Sorry to hear Lesley did not do the afternoon tea as she felt JY were charging more than twice what the hotel charged.  I personally do not know what the hotel charged, but I think we paid £40 and this included transport to and from the hotel.  Most of us who went in my Group had a marvellous time.  As I said, it was much better than Claridges.

Regards

Jaya

SueStricks
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

:rolleyes: Sorry to hear Lesley did not do the afternoon tea as she felt JY were charging more than twice what the hotel charged.  I personally do not know what the hotel charged, but I think we paid £40 and this included transport to and from the hotel.  Most of us who went in my Group had a marvellous time.  As I said, it was much better than Claridges.

Regards

Jaya

SueStricks
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Regards

Jaya

All comments and advice gratefully received- I know it’s going to be a fantastic trip!

debbieandnorris
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Are we meeting at check-in? Or the VIP lounge?
user@justme
(Member)
'debbieandnorris' wrote:

hiya all I'm booked up for this tour, anyone want to chat before going?

Hi I am booked on this holiday. I'm completely new to justyou.co.uk.  I am listening to the news about the weather and flights being cancelled with trepidation. Anyone out there who would like to chat?  Jennifer

user@justme
(Member)
'debbieandnorris' wrote:

I guess we meet in the VIP Lounge. That's what I was expecting. Looking forward to meeting you all!

SueStricks
(Member)
'debbieandnorris' wrote:

I am guessing I will get to say hello to most people when I get to the lounge- I’m not sure exactly what time I’ll get to check in etc. Look forward to meeting all