Westacott
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, 

Please can you tell me how many people are booked on this trip, numbers of males/females and ages, and how many are doing the whale watching add-on. Any idea what the temperature and humidity will be like in October?

Thanks

Carole

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Afternoon Carole,

There are currently 13 travellers booked on this tour and the group is made up of 5 men and 7 women. The age ranges from early-30s to early-70s.

The average maximum daytime temperature in South Africa in October is a comfortable 20°C

Kind Regards,

Mildred

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Carole,

I was in South Africa in late September and it was a lot hotter than the temperature that Mildred suggests!  It was mid 20s centigrade in Cape Town but in the 30s elsewhere - up to 40C in Zambia!  Thankfully it was not at all humid, which was a great help in the heat.  I would expect it to be at least that hot in mid October, if not a bit hotter still.  I hope you have a brilliant time - it is still my favourite tour to date!

All the best,

Bob

Westacott
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Carole,

I was in South Africa in late September and it was a lot hotter than the temperature that Mildred suggests!  It was mid 20s centigrade in Cape Town but in the 30s elsewhere - up to 40C in Zambia!  Thankfully it was not at all humid, which was a great help in the heat.  I would expect it to be at least that hot in mid October, if not a bit hotter still.  I hope you have a brilliant time - it is still my favourite tour to date!

All the best,

Bob

Thanks for that Bob. I'm not too good with temps over 30 and higher which it sounds like it may in October. Interesting to know it's not humid as well, which is a killer. I will wait until next September, I notice there are 2 tour dates then.

Carole

1981Kedi
(Member)
Hi Carole

Just to add my 2p worth! I went to South Africa (Travelsphere) with the add on early last September. I was anticipating warm weather getting hotter as we travelled north. That was one of the reasons for choosing the earlier date. In the end it was quite cool in Cape Town with a drizzly day and too early to enjoy the best of the gardens we visited. 

The weather remained comfortable as we journeyed up country - it actually snowed in Johannesburg  :huh: - but I understand that was most unusual! By the time we reached Zambia it was very hot (sorry - don't have degrees) but I managed to enjoy everything comfortably and I do not like very hot weather. I don't remember it being humid but most of Southern Africa was in the grips of a drought.

With hindsight I would perhaps choose a later September/early October date - but nothing is certain with the weather that's for sure!

It was a wonderful holiday (I did the whale watching tour) - a great way to see a lot of South Africa in one holiday.

adg29
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Carole

I have booked this tour 26 Sept this year and from limited research this is a spring period and not overly hot but should be comfortable. I have also read that in Kruger you are more likely to see the big 5 of the animal world at this time of the year as when it gets really hot they stay hidden in the shade.

See you on the trip if you decide to book.

Alan

debbieandnorris
(Member)
I'm going on the 17th October to South Africa Whale Watching Tour... Paid in full yesterday!
Moderator2
(Member)
Good Afternoon debbieandnorris,

I am so happy for you!! I have read so many good reviews.

I know you will have a fantastic time.

Kind Regards,

Mildred.

debbieandnorris
(Member)
[quote pid='299038' dateline='1499344769']

Thanks Mildred.

Question do we need to take any maleria tablets or owt or is this area ok?

:cool: Debbie

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Debbie,

We would always recommend that you speak to your practice nurse or GP for the most up to date information on vaccinations, and other medical precautions, as they tend to look at the World Heath Organisation advice and your personal medical history.

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations.aspx .

This is is a good resource to review both before talking to your nurse/GP and in the lead up to your departure.

Kindest regards,

Julia

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Debbie,

I took Malarone starting two days before we hit Kruger - I didn't see any mozzies there but saw a lot in Zambia.  Make sure you cover any exposed areas well with repellent.  50% DEET is usually recommended for malaria zones, but Boots have recently introduced a new version of their Repel "Light Fragrance" - it is DEET free but has a strength rating of 3 out of 4, whereas 50% DEET has a rating of 4.  I've used it on the last couple of hols and it is much nicer to use than DEET - nicer fragrance and feels less like putting varnish on your skin!  No bites on either hol to speak of.  Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Bob

debbieandnorris
(Member)