rosehoward
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Has anyone been on an Iceland visit mid-november.     Am thinking of going but am somewhat afraid of the cold weather at that time and also the very short hours of daylight.   Any reassurance would be great,     Rose
AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rosehoward

I was on the JY trip to Iceland in March last year (not November but still winter). Yes, it can be bitterly cold and very windy but if you dress in layers and take a thick waterproof jacket, you'll be fine. They have a saying there "If you don't like the weather here, just wait five minutes" and it's absolutely true - you could get all four seasons in half an hour, it's really that changeable!

I would also recommend some thick gloves, a hat, sturdy walking boots (particularly if you are planning to do the 'Golden Circle' (which I'd recommend) and also some 'Yaktrax' or similar grippers because it can get really slippery underfoot. One thing to remember is that you'll be on and off the heated coach a lot, so wear layers that are easy to slip on and off. The hotel is also very warm and comfortable, so you don't have to come down to breakfast dressed like the Michelin man! 

The plus side of the short days and dark skies is the possibility of seeing the Northern Lights. There are no promises of course but, if you get lucky as we did, it will be one of the highlights of your year. 

Iceland is a wild and beautiful country with superb food and extremely friendly and welcoming locals. I'd really like to go back one day so I'd definitely recommend that you go for it and book.

Happy to answer any other questions

All the best

Mandy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rose,

I was on the same trip as Mandy and agree with every word she has said!  This is a fantastic tour which will show you some of the best highlights that Iceland has to offer.  Our whale watching tour was cancelled due to the weather but perhaps you will be luckier than us.  On the other hand, we did see a brilliant showing of the Northern Lights, a wonderful experience.  The food is out of this world!  Don't let the cold (and it wasn't that bitter when we were there) and shortish daylight hours put you off.  This is one of my favourite JY tours - the scenery is absolutely stunning and unique - and I'd love to go back one day and see more of this incredible island.

Best wishes,

Bob

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rose.  I was also on the tour with Mandy and Bob and agree with everything they say.  Fantastic holiday and an experience not to be missed.  Come on JY do another longer holiday to Iceland soon
HollyGriff28
(Member)
Hey Rose ☺ im going on the one in November and the weather is something ive not really thought about so thanks for the post ☺ x
rosehoward
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for all your replies - I had read the reviews of those who had been in March, but nothing about November.    Maybe there wasnt a previous trip in November.    Am seriously thinking of booking.    Did you need walking boots whilst walking around the city and in the evening, or would trainers have been sufficient.  

The November trip doesnt include whale watching and there seems to be quite a lot of free time but  maybe that is because of the dark afternoons.     Will let you know what I decide.

DavidG
(Member)
'rosehoward' wrote:

Has anyone been on an Iceland visit mid-november.     Am thinking of going but am somewhat afraid of the cold weather at that time and also the very short hours of daylight.   Any reassurance would be great,     Rose

Hello Rose,

Two years ago I did the Iceland for New Year holiday i.e. mid winter. Whilst it was incredibly cold (-14C one day) with plenty of layers it never became a problem. Certainly did not start to get light until about 11am, but just meant a lie-in!

I can confirm that the food is always excellent, the people friendly and most speak English.

Incredible scenery, highly recommended any time of the year.