Angie62
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, just wanted to say I am new to this board. I have booked a holiday to Croatia - this is the first holiday with Just You. I am looking forward to it but also a bit apprehensive.

I would be interested to know what your first holiday was like with just you and what was the age group.

Angie

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Angie, I think you have chosen a great holiday for your first JY experience! I have done 11 JY hols, with another one booked. My first holiday was Andalucia and like you, I was quite apprehensive beforehand and didn't know what to expect. Once you arrive at the gate you will no doubt meet some of your fellow travellers (you might even meet some at check in) and your worries will disappear. With JY you are in safe hands - the tour manager will make sure everything runs smoothly and will sort out any problems that may occur. On that holiday the age range was 20s - 70s, although the main age range on JY hols is 55 - 75. I'm in the younger age group, being mid 40s and sometimes I've been the youngest, but mostly not. I really enjoyed my first holiday and since then I've travelled the world with JY - north and south America, Africa and Asia as well as some short haul tours. I hope you have a brilliant time!

Best wishes,

Bob

Toni2909
(Member)
Hi Angie

My first JY holiday was the first of several! I loved it so much that I have become hooked - and I'm sure you will hear from others who feel the same. I have only done short haul trips so far, largely because I like to do 2 a year and that suits my budget better. I am now looking forward to my trip to Greece in October (JY holiday number 7)

It is great to travel with others, meet lots of new people, make some good friends (I remain in touch with quite a few who I met originally on a JY trip) visit lots of interesting places, feel looked after by the tour manager, have interesting and informative tours with local and knowledgeable guides, have everything organised for you, etc, etc.

I have heard good things about Croatia, and it is high on my list for next year.

You will love it!

Toni

Bosuncat
(Member)
Hi Angie.

My first trip was to Cilento Coast, incidentally I was on the first trip out there for Just You. I wasn't sure how I would get on as I had done quite a bit of independent travelling but I really enjoyed it. The great joy for me was not being alone at night and having someone to chat with over dinner, and over a drink.

Incidentally I am off to Istrian Coast again this year. Which date have you booked? I am going on the September 16th departure. It's a lovely part of the world, stunning scenery, friendly people and still very reasonable prices for food, drinks etc. I haven't been to this new hotel that JY are using but I am vaguely familiar with the area. So if you need to know anything please let me know. If you are not on my departure have a great time anyway. You've picked a good holiday for your first trip. :thumbup:

Angie62
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

Hi Angie.

My first trip was to Cilento Coast, incidentally I was on the first trip out there for Just You. I wasn't sure how I would get on as I had done quite a bit of independent travelling but I really enjoyed it. The great joy for me was not being alone at night and having someone to chat with over dinner, and over a drink.

Incidentally I am off to Istrian Coast again this year. Which date have you booked? I am going on the September 16th departure. It's a lovely part of the world, stunning scenery, friendly people and still very reasonable prices for food, drinks etc. I haven't been to this new hotel that JY are using but I am vaguely familiar with the area. So if you need to know anything please let me know. If you are not on my departure have a great time anyway. You've picked a good holiday for your first trip. :thumbup:

I agree it's the evenings and meal times it's really good to have company. I have booked to go on 9th September so just before you.

I was wondering having been before which excursions you would recommend. I suffer with Asthma although it's well controlled but would there be any trips you think not suitable. I want a relaxing holiday mainly but I do like to mix it with one or two excursions

Angie62
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Angie, I think you have chosen a great holiday for your first JY experience! I have done 11 JY hols, with another one booked. My first holiday was Andalucia and like you, I was quite apprehensive beforehand and didn't know what to expect. Once you arrive at the gate you will no doubt meet some of your fellow travellers (you might even meet some at check in) and your worries will disappear. With JY you are in safe hands - the tour manager will make sure everything runs smoothly and will sort out any problems that may occur. On that holiday the age range was 20s - 70s, although the main age range on JY hols is 55 - 75. I'm in the younger age group, being mid 40s and sometimes I've been the youngest, but mostly not. I really enjoyed my first holiday and since then I've travelled the world with JY - north and south America, Africa and Asia as well as some short haul tours. I hope you have a brilliant time!

Best wishes,

Bob

Thanks Bob for the information it's been really informative

Mavis D
(Member)
Hi Angie

I would reiterate what others have said. You need have no worries. My first JY holiday was in early June this year (Mykonos & Santorini) and like you I was a bit apprehensive, but my fears soon disappeared when I met the Tour Rep and some of my fellow travellers at Heathrow. Ages ranged from early 50's to late 70's/early 80's, an interesting mix of people from all over the UK, and as a group I don't think anyone felt 'left out' but with consideration for anyone who wanted 'own time' from time to time.

Having experienced and been reassured by this first trip, I am now looking forward to my second, the Istrian Coast on 2 September departure. Which one are you on? I look forward to meeting you if you are on the same one, but if not have a great holiday.

Freda Margaret
(Member)
Hi Angie,

My first JY holiday was last year to Lake Garda. It was the trips that interested me as I have always wanted to see Venice and Verona. I was very apprehensive too as I had never traveled alone but talked to people on the forum just like you are doing. It was a fantastic holiday, and we were looked after by the JY guide. Being met at the airport by the JY rep is excellent , and once you get into air side, you usually meet your fellow travelers. I traveled to Costa de la luz from Liverpool this year. I was the only one from Liverpool, but there was a super JY rep to meet me and see me through check in and security. He also said he would stay in the airport until my flight had taken off, which I though was great of him. This holiday was super, 40 of us ranging from 40's and one lady had her 80th birthday while we were there. Jackie our travel guide was wonderful, and went the extra mile to make our holiday perfect. Everyone mixed together, and you were never alone unless you wished to be which is the beauty of these holidays.

I am now looking for Sept/Oct, and notice the JY are doing Manchester flights for Malta 2016, so that's next year sorted. Good luck, sure you will enjoy your holiday, although I have not been to Croatia myself.

Bosuncat
(Member)
'Angie62' wrote:

'Bosuncat' wrote:

Hi Angie.

I agree it's the evenings and meal times it's really good to have company. I have booked to go on 9th September so just before you.

I was wondering having been before which excursions you would recommend. I suffer with Asthma although it's well controlled but would there be any trips you think not suitable. I want a relaxing holiday mainly but I do like to mix it with one or two excursions

The Istrian Explorer (I think that is the right title) is the included trip, and is a nice introduction to the area, visiting Pula, Rovinji and Porec. Not a huge amount of walking, and I believe that lunch is included in Pula this time. There is also a stop on the way back for cakes and wine which is fun.

I know that there is a half day trip to Opatija on Day 2 but personally I think it is expensive. I believe that there is a local bus that stops right outside the hotel. It's a nice town with some lovely gardens and interesting buildings and well worth a look round.

The boat trip is very relaxing and fun. I don't know if they will be stopping off in Cres as we did when we went from Rabac, but the bbq and wine on board is interesting :)

I haven't done the trip into Slovenia to the caves and the stud farm for years although I was in Slovenia last year. That is a good trip but take a warm waterproof or jacket as it can get chilly in the caves. I haven't been to the stud farm since I first went to what was then Yugoslavia back in the 80's. I may well do this trip.

Plitvice Lakes are WONDERFUL but quite strenuous walking and a lot of steps and walkways over the water without handrails. Personally I know that I couldn't do the trip now although I long too and don't let me put you off. :thumbup: It's a long day and the last part of the journey is on quite windy roads some hairpin bends).

I haven't been on the Motovun trip as that is a new one but I understand it is quite a steep walk up to the village.

I have slight mobility issues and use a stick so I can only speak for myself. It sounds as though you have the asthma well under control, but if you want some advice on the trips I would ask your Tour Manager. If you get Vladka (V), she is wonderful and would be more than happy to advise you. In any case have a wonderful time.

If you think of anything else please feel free to ask away. :thumbup:

Angie62
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mavis wrote:

Hi Angie

I would reiterate what others have said. You need have no worries. My first JY holiday was in early June this year (Mykonos & Santorini) and like you I was a bit apprehensive, but my fears soon disappeared when I met the Tour Rep and some of my fellow travellers at Heathrow. Ages ranged from early 50's to late 70's/early 80's, an interesting mix of people from all over the UK, and as a group I don't think anyone felt 'left out' but with consideration for anyone who wanted 'own time' from time to time.

Having experienced and been reassured by this first trip, I am now looking forward to my second, the Istrian Coast on 2 September departure. Which one are you on? I look forward to meeting you if you are on the same one, but if not have a great holiday.

Thanks Mavis for the reply - I am glad you felt comfortable , it would appear that many have said the same thing which is very reassuring. My holiday is the 9th September - I hope you have a great holiday