kpdl
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mark & Karen (the other one!)

Thanks for your messages.

As we have suggested several times for the Alcatraz ferry I suggest we book one the at 9.10. This should give you, Mark, time to do the other cruise and is only 20 minutes earlier than the 9.30 ferry that you, Karen, said you are happy to do.

Karen, I like your web site I hadn't found that one! So I think we should book through it.

Let's book the 9.10 ferry on Monday 8th June using this site

https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/index.aspx 

I hope you are both happy with that. :thumbup:

On a different note, Karen , you said you are flying from Heathrow....

Have you had your flights changed?

From Manchester we are now flying US Airways to Philadelphia arriving at 15.45. I was just wondering if the two groups will meet at Philadelphia instead of Newark.

Mark , where are you flying from?

Looking forward to hearing from you both, then we can book the tickets and we will be sorted for Alcatraz :thumbup:

Karen

:):):)

markf
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Karen,

ok I'm going to go ahead and book Alcatraz. 09.10 on the 8th.

I am flying from Heathrow and yes we've had the flights changed too. We are flying to San Francisco and then to Phoenix with United.

Mark

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mark

Great I'll go ahead & book as well.

I'm sure "the other" Karen will too.

Looking forward to meeting you both in Phoenix, it'll be here before we know it,

Karen

markf
  • (Member)
(Member)
hello,

I am booked on the 09:10 Alcatraz tour on 8th June.

Mark

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mark & Karen (the other one!)

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/  :thumbup:

Mark, so the Heathrow travellers are going to Phoenix via San Francisco, from Manchester we are going via Philadelphia (I don't think I made that clear before!)

We arrive in Phoenix at 17.58 what time do you arrive?

It'll be here before we know, can't wait ....getting very excited.

Karen

karell01
(Member)
Hi both.

I'll book mine as well. Really looking forward to it.

I haven't heard that the flights have changed. Will contact the agents to find out tomorrow.

Will see you at Heathrow then Mark.

Karen

markf
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Karen,

We are arriving at 17:37.

Yes not too long now, really looking forward to it.

Just looking at some of the other excursions on the revamped website. I wonder which day the seaplane flight is on, I'd love to do that. Looks like I may have to save a few more pennies!!

Mark

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'karell01' wrote:

Hi both.

I haven't heard that the flights have changed. Will contact the agents to find out tomorrow.

Karen

Hi Karen

Great ....

Looking forward to meeting you in Phoenix.

Karen

Mick W
(Member)
This holiday is one that appeals to me (along with a few others) and was thinking about it for November. However my alternate plans for early June have changed so may have to check finances. Nothing definate as got other alternatives in mind also.

Did the Golden West holiday a few years back and have also done parks & canyons so parts of this one would be old ground but they were both hols i loved.

karell01
(Member)
I've booked my Alcatraz ticket now.

I've also been looking at the other excursions and want to do all of them! Like you say Mark - it all costs pennies.

I'd like to do one of the flights over the Grand Canyon. Nor sure which one to go for at the moment tho.

I haven't received my new flight details yet - they'll hopefully turn up tomorrow. I wasn't aware they had been changed until Mark mentioned it.

Only 10 weeks to go - which really isn't that long.

Karen

markf
  • (Member)
(Member)
'karell01' wrote:

Hi both.

Karen

Hi Karen,

Yes, looking forward to meeting you.

Mark

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mick wrote:

This holiday is one that appeals to me (along with a few others) and was thinking about it for November. However my alternate plans for early June have changed so may have to check finances. Nothing definate as got other alternatives in mind also.

Did the Golden West holiday a few years back and have also done parks & canyons so parts of this one would be old ground but they were both hols i loved.

Hi Mick

Thanks for joining the thread.

A quick question about parks and canyons, as you have visited some already..... it's about foot wear ... would a good pair of trainers be ok or would a pair of proper walking shoes (not boots) be more suitable.... you know what us women are like for shoes!.. I don't want to take too many just want to make sure the ones I take are versatile enough for the whole trip!

Any other tips very welcome.

Thanks

Karen

Mick W
(Member)
'kpdl' wrote:

'Mick wrote:

Hi Mick

Thanks for joining the thread.

A quick question about parks and canyons, as you have visited some already..... it's about foot wear ... would a good pair of trainers be ok or would a pair of proper walking shoes (not boots) be more suitable.... you know what us women are like for shoes!.. I don't want to take too many just want to make sure the ones I take are versatile enough for the whole trip!

Any other tips very welcome.

Thanks

Karen

Hi Karen,

Yes trainers will be great its what i wore on both "Parks & Canyons" and "National Parks" holidays. Nothing too rugged just designated walkways, worst thing is dust. Of course they need decent grip as a few inclines.

I tend to take two pair of trainers, sort of alternate days but no need really. Us men can also take too many shoes :D

Not sure if i'll be joining you yet, but will decide soon as do fancy the holiday.

If you have any other questions please ask, as have crossed that part of the world a few times, it does look a fantastic trip.

One piece of advice is take a fleece, San Fran is often cool n an evening whatever time of year but at same time never gets really cold. I've been in mid winter and summer and not a lot of difference in temps.

Flagstaff can also drop temp at night because of the altitude but reckon everywhere else will be hot.

Mick

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mick

Thanks for the tips.

I had heard from a friend that San Fran can be cool, even misty at times, so going to take lots of layers, that should sort it out!

I might meet you on the trip if you decide to do this one, if not, enjoy which ever one you choose. It's my first with JY and I struggled to decide which one to book! Really looking forward to it now.

Karen

Gaynor A
(Member)
'kpdl' wrote:

Hi Everyone

My name is Karen and I'm a newbie.

I am booked on the Yosemite, Grand Canyon & Classic California trip on 31st May, flying from Manchester.

I would love to hear from anyone who is going on this trip or who has been on a similar one and who has any tips about excursions. I think a visit to Alcatraz is a must, but isn't included in the optional excursions so might be one to book independently?

I am excited and apprehensive all at the same time so any tips or words of wisdom would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Hi Karen, My name is Gaynor and also booked on the same trip. I have been twice with Just You in the past and can't fault them. My friend Margaret is also coming and she has been with them before. We are flying from Gatwick. We have booked all the available excursions.

we live in South Wales. Getting excited now.

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Gaynor wrote:

'kpdl' wrote:

Hi Everyone

My name is Karen and I'm a newbie.

I am booked on the Yosemite, Grand Canyon & Classic California trip on 31st May, flying from Manchester.

I would love to hear from anyone who is going on this trip or who has been on a similar one and who has any tips about excursions. I think a visit to Alcatraz is a must, but isn't included in the optional excursions so might be one to book independently?

I am excited and apprehensive all at the same time so any tips or words of wisdom would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Hi Karen, My name is Gaynor and also booked on the same trip. I have been twice with Just You in the past and can't fault them. My friend Margaret is also coming and she has been with them before. We are flying from Gatwick. We have booked all the available excursions.

we live in South Wales. Getting excited now.

Hi Gaynor & Margaret

Lovely to hear from you. As you can see from previous messages 3 of us have booked independently to visit Alcatraz feel free to join us if you want to.

I haven't book my excursions yet but will do soon I'm definitely doing the Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon helicopter trip and Sedona Jeep, not sure about the Aquarium or Las Vegas by night I might wait and decide about those on the trip and book in resort.

Like you I'm getting excited:thumbup:

Looking forward to meeting you both.

Karen

markf
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Karen, Karen, Gaynor and Margaret.

Hope you're all well.

Sadly I've damaged a disc in my lower back and am really struggling. A 10+ hour flight and spending hours in a coach are currently not an option for me.

I am taking powerful painkillers which help but only by knocking me out for 16 hours!, I'm also undergoing physiotherapy. I've cancelled the Alcatraz booking for the time being, and will make a decision as to cancelling the holiday in the next month. I am beyond fed up!!

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'markf' wrote:

Hello Karen, Karen, Gaynor and Margaret.

Hope you're all well.

Sadly I've damaged a disc in my lower back and am really struggling. A 10+ hour flight and spending hours in a coach are currently not an option for me.

I am taking powerful painkillers which help but only by knocking me out for 16 hours!, I'm also undergoing physiotherapy. I've cancelled the Alcatraz booking for the time being, and will make a decision as to cancelling the holiday in the next month. I am beyond fed up!!

Hi Mark

I haven't been on the forum recently so have only just picked up your thread, so sorry to hear that you have damaged your back. Keep taking the pain killers and doing the physio and hopefully you won't have to cancel the holiday.

Keep in touch

Karen

karell01
(Member)
Hi Karen

So sorry to hear that you've damaged your lower back. I hope things can improve by the time our holiday comes around but of course health must come first.

Keep us updated on how you are feeling.

Karen

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'karell01' wrote:

Hi Karen

So sorry to hear that you've damaged your lower back. I hope things can improve by the time our holiday comes around but of course health must come first.

Keep us updated on how you are feeling.

Karen

Hi Karen

I think you've misread my message I haven't hurt my back, Mark has. Hopefully he will recover soon and be able to join the holiday.

Not long now... looking forward to meeting you in the US.

Karen