kpdl
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Everyone

My name is Karen and I'm a newbie.

I am booked on the Yosemite, Grand Canyon & Classic California trip on 31st May, flying from Manchester.

I would love to hear from anyone who is going on this trip or who has been on a similar one and who has any tips about excursions. I think a visit to Alcatraz is a must, but isn't included in the optional excursions so might be one to book independently?

I am excited and apprehensive all at the same time so any tips or words of wisdom would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

:):):)

karell01
(Member)
Hi Karen

I'm booked on this trip but I'm flying from Heathrow. I believe that we join together at Newark.

It's also my first time travelling solo so excited as well as nervous. I'd like to do Alcatraz as well. I'm not sure whether we can book when we get there on the day or if we need to book online beforehand.

Look forward to meeting you on 31st May.

Karen

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Karen!

We won't forget each other's names.

Regarding Alcatraz I've been told by friends who have been to San Francisco that Alcatraz is a must do and you need to book a few weeks in advance as waiting until we get there the trips are very likely to be booked up.

I have checked the trips out briefly, I think it will be about $30. I think we'll have a full day in San Fran on the 8th June. I'm going to check that out and then book a trip before we leave....the Just You excursion is just a boat cruise around Alcatraz.

If you want to do the trip perhaps we could book on the same one.

If other people on the trip read this thread perhaps a few of us could go together.

Are you thinking about any of the optional excursions. ?. I definitely want to do the helicopter flight over the Grand Canyon but haven't decided about the others yet.

Let me know about Alcatraz. Looking forward to meeting you.

Anyone else on the trip reading this thread please join in.:):)

Karen

markf
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Karen / Karen,

I'm on this trip too and would be interested in seeing Alcatraz. Hope there is enough free time for this to be a possibility. I did the National Parks and Little Bighorn tour last year which was amazing. That tour was very busy and gave little opportunity to see places other than those on the schedule. I think this trip should be a little less hectic so hope we get the chance to visit.

Looking forward to meeting you both.

Mark

karell01
(Member)
Hi Karen

Yes I definitely want to do the Alcatraz trip as my daugher also says that it is a must do trip. Let me know when you've booked it and who with and I'll book on the same one.

I will be doing optional excursions but not sure which ones yet. Prob flight over the Grand Canyon and the jeep trip.

Looking foward to meeting you.

Karen

karell01
(Member)
Hi Mark

Sorry your reply wasn't showing earlier when I posted mine - I wasn't ignoring you.

Look forward to meeting you too.

Karen

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Karen & Mark

I've just messaged Julia via this forum for details of our stay in San Fran and of the JY excursion and asking how much free time we will have. Then I will check out the Alcatraz cruise details and let you know what our options are. I'll keep you posted.

Mark, any tips you have about JY tours please let us know I am new to all this!!

Looking forward to meeting you both

Karen

markf
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Karen,

This will be my third US trip with JY. Both previous tours were really well organised and both groups were good fun, a real mix of ages and characters.

You're probably a bit nervous about travelling alone for the first time but don't be. Once you meet up with the group at the airport you soon relax, remember that everyone is in the same boat.

The only tips I have is to make sure you take a decent camera with plenty of capacity for loads of pictures, the scenery in the US is fantastic. (Can't wait to see Yosemite)

Tipping is always an issue too. It is expected everywhere in the US, I tend to go with 10% or so. If you're at a bar buying a drink just leave a dollar on the bar. You get used to it quickly.

Tipping the tour guide and driver at the end of the tour is another grey area. I tend to go with $50 or so each ($3 per day each) but everyone has their own thoughts on this.

Any other question please ask.

Mark

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'markf' wrote:

Hello Karen,

This will be my third US trip with JY. Both previous tours were really well organised and both groups were good fun, a real mix of ages and characters.

You're probably a bit nervous about travelling alone for the first time but don't be. Once you meet up with the group at the airport you soon relax, remember that everyone is in the same boat.

The only tips I have is to make sure you take a decent camera with plenty of capacity for loads of pictures, the scenery in the US is fantastic. (Can't wait to see Yosemite)

Tipping is always an issue too. It is expected everywhere in the US, I tend to go with 10% or so. If you're at a bar buying a drink just leave a dollar on the bar. You get used to it quickly.

Tipping the tour guide and driver at the end of the tour is another grey area. I tend to go with $50 or so each ($3 per day each) but everyone has their own thoughts on this.

Any other question please ask.

Mark

Hi Karen, Mark & fellow travellers

Apologies for the delay in replying.... I wrote a reply on Friday and thought I'd posted it but as it's not on the forum it must be in cyber space :s.

Here's a bit from the reply from Julia

"Yes, I can confirm that you will be arriving in San Francisco on 7th June, staying for 2 nights and leaving on the 9th.

You'll arrive at approximately 2pm and the city tour will last for about 3 hours.

We have the cruise planned for Day 9 (8th June) - the timetable for May has not yet been released by our partner but this is currently operating at 11:30am and lasts for about 90minutes.

Yes, when not on an included or optional excursion, the rest of the time is free for you to explore independently (or with some of your fellow travellers)."

As day 9 (8th June) is a free day, my thoughts are not to do the optional cruise but to take a trip to Alcatraz instead. I'm thinking of getting an early ferry about 9.30ish, the trip takes 21/2 - 3 hours, you explore the island independently and you can return on any ferry. This will leave the afternoon free to do something else ....the cable car, Golden Gate bridge? It depends on what we see and do the day before.

The Alcatraz ferries leave from Pier 33 and our hotel is near Pier 39 which doesn't look too far away on google maps!!

I will check out the ferry operators, exact times and prices and post in the next few days. Are you interested in doing this?

Mark, thanks for the tips, particularly about tipping...it's good to know roughly how much especially for the driver and tour manager and to remember to keep some cash for that!!

I am getting very excited and only a little apprehensive now as I have made contact with other fellow travellers.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Karen

karell01
(Member)
Hi Karen/Mark

Thanks for looking into this. I'm definitely interested and think 9.30ish is a great time to go. Like you say we then have the rest of the day and I would also like to do the cable car as it has been recommended. It really depends on what we see on the JY tour when we get there. Let me know when you book Alcatraz then I'll do mine as well.

Thanks for the info Mark. I'm getting excited now rather than nervous now so really looking forward to it.

Karen

markf
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Karen,

Yes I'd be interested. Looks like we could do with an extra day there doesn't it!!

Glad you're feeling less apprehensive now.

Mark

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'markf' wrote:

Hello Karen,

Yes I'd be interested. Looks like we could do with an extra day there doesn't it!!

Glad you're feeling less apprehensive now.

Mark

Hi Karen, Mark & Fellow travellers

I've checked out tickets for Alcatraz ferries there seems to be 2 main booking sites and this one seems to be cheaper than the other one as it doesn't appear to charge an admin fee ( but I haven't completed the whole process so I'm not 100% sure!)

https://www.alcatrazislandtickets.com/tickets/ 

It's $38 (£26).

The site says you need to be there 30 mins before the ferry, I'm thinking book the 10.00 ferry, getting to the port at 9.30 so we don't have to rush breakfast ( I'm guessing that most days of the tour will be early starts on the coach, so it might be good to have a more relaxed breakfast..... is that you experience Mark?)

But am very happy to book the 9.30 ferry if that is preferred..... just think company would be nice 🙂.

Please let me know your thoughts then we can all book the same one.

We have plenty of time yet so a few days to agree won't be a problem!!

Please check out the site yourselves and make sure you're happy with it. It also says you will need photo ID and the credit card you used to book with you on the day.

(I am having a couple of problems with my broadband, so if I'm out of touch for a few days that's why :huh:)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Karen

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Karen, Mark and fellow travellers

My broadband is up and running again so going to book my ticket soon.

Any thoughts on ferry times 9.30 or 10.00?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Karen

markf
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Karen,

I'm in a real quandary. I'd like to see Alcatraz and also do the cruise!

What am I to do!!!!

I think I'd prefer the 09.30 trip as perhaps I could fit both in. Perhaps the tour guide could book a late afternoon cruise.

Mark

karell01
(Member)
Hi both

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/website/price-schedule-chart.aspx  - it is also cheaper at $30.

Let me know when you've booked it and I'll do mine as well.

The other Karen

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'markf' wrote:

Hello Karen,

What am I to do!!!!

I think I'd prefer the 09.30 trip as perhaps I could fit both in. Perhaps the tour guide could book a late afternoon cruise.

Mark

Hi Mark

I understand your dilemma...so much to see and do and so little time!!

I want to go on the cable car and explore the town so will have to forfeit the other cruise :s

I have looked on the other cruise web site that I spoke about

http://www.alcatraztickets.com/offer/3383/Escape-from-the-Rock-Cruise-on-San-Francisco-Bay#.VQxUEhs8bIU 

and there seem to be 2 daily Escape from the Rock cruises at 11.30 and 3.30 so you should be able to fit both in either with JY or independently....ask Julia.

Also the Alcatraz ferries start at 8.45, 9.10 and 9.30.. I'm happy to do an early one if that helps your decision, look at the web site

https://www.alcatrazislandtickets.com/Ferry-Schedule/ 

Karen

PaulineD
(Member)
'markf' wrote:

Hello Karen,

What am I to do!!!!

Mark

Hi Mark,

I went on this holiday last year and, while the main body of the group went on the cruise and a couple went to Alcatraz, I flew in a helicopter under the Golden Gate Bridge!! which was fantastic. I then did the cruise round the bay independently in the afternoon. It is very easy to book when you get there. I hope you enjoy your holiday as much as I did.

PaulineD

kpdl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mark

I must definitely be doing something wrong... I replied to your post on Friday afternoon and it hasn't appeared on the forum.... another one gone into cyberspace :huh:

Hopefully I can remember what I wrote!!

I understand your dilemma..so much to see and so little time...hopefully Pauline's post has helped as I was going to suggest that perhaps you could do the Rock cruise independently in the afternoon as the cruises run daily at 11.30 & 3.30 check out this site

http://www.alcatraztickets.com/offer/3383/Escape-from-the-Rock-Cruise-on-San-Francisco-Bay#.VQ_yWBs8bIU .

Also there are earlier cruises to Alcatraz at 8.45, 9.10 & 9.00,

I'm going to use this site to book (as there doesn't seem to be a booking fee as there is on the other site)

https://www.alcatrazislandtickets.com/Alcatraz-Tours/ 

I am happy to do an early ferry which will leave the rest of the day free, I want to do the cable car, Golden Gate Bridge, just enjoy the city..... ... it all depends on what we see on the tour the day before!

Hope this helps ... let me know what you decide

Karen

markf
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Pauline,

Thanks for the advice.

Mark

markf
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Karen,

Thanks for the info, I'm happy to do the early 8.45 trip. Let me know if ok with you.

Mark