Julie L
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, has anyone been to Canada & The Rocky Mountaineer trip, in September, I'm looking at it for 6th September 2015, just wondered what's the weather like at that time & what ages of people go on this tour, will be just 60 on this trip, and don't want to be the only 60+. Does anyone else fancy joining me?
AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Julie

I did the previous version of this trip (with two days on the Rocky Mountaineer) a couple of years ago in the first two weeks of September. I've done three other JY trips since but Canada remains my all time favourite - it is breath taking and you will have an amazing time.

In terms of the weather and clothes to take - layers are the key. When you are in the Rockies themselves - especially on the journey through the Icefield parkway - it will be pretty cold, especially in the mornings (we had snow on 3rd September). I definitely recommend taking a hat and gloves, thin thermals, fleeces, a waterproof jacket and sturdy walking shoes/boots. However, by the time you reach the coast, it is likely to be much warmer, but possibly a little bit more rainy. My group were in t-shirts for most of that part of the trip.

As for ages, and as with every JY trip, you will have a wide range and 60 is definitely in the middle. On my recent trip to China we ranged from 40-70 but for Canada I think we were 30-85 - and the 85 year old came enthusiastically on the whale watching excursion in Vancouver with us!

Happy to help if you have any other questions. I would certainly consider returning to Canada with JY in future but next year, I've got my eye on Nepal!

All the best

Mandy

Julie L
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'AELB' wrote:

Hi Julie

I did the previous version of this trip (with two days on the Rocky Mountaineer) a couple of years ago in the first two weeks of September. I've done three other JY trips since but Canada remains my all time favourite - it is breath taking and you will have an amazing time.

In terms of the weather and clothes to take - layers are the key. When you are in the Rockies themselves - especially on the journey through the Icefield parkway - it will be pretty cold, especially in the mornings (we had snow on 3rd September). I definitely recommend taking a hat and gloves, thin thermals, fleeces, a waterproof jacket and sturdy walking shoes/boots. However, by the time you reach the coast, it is likely to be much warmer, but possibly a little bit more rainy. My group were in t-shirts for most of that part of the trip.

As for ages, and as with every JY trip, you will have a wide range and 60 is definitely in the middle. On my recent trip to China we ranged from 40-70 but for Canada I think we were 30-85 - and the 85 year old came enthusiastically on the whale watching excursion in Vancouver with us!

Happy to help if you have any other questions. I would certainly consider returning to Canada with JY in future but next year, I've got my eye on Nepal!

All the best

Mandy

Julie here, hi Mandy, thanks yes that was very helpful and on your comments I think I will book for sept 2015 after Christmas.

stevep1
(Member)
'Julie wrote:

Hi, has anyone been to Canada & The Rocky Mountaineer trip, in September, I'm looking at it for 6th September 2015, just wondered what's the weather like at that time & what ages of people go on this tour, will be just 60 on this trip, and don't want to be the only 60+. Does anyone else fancy joining me?

Hi Julie,

Did you book Canada on the 6th ofSept as I am thinking about booking myself.

Steve

RayT
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Julie wrote:

HiJulie,

I have just booked this trip for Sept6th. I have been looking at the video I took on the trip nine years ago, and mostly people are in shirtsleeves or cardies, with a fleece or anorak when on the Athabasca glacier which is obviously cold, but you are only there for half an hour. We had no rain, but take a coat in case. Don't worry about age, there is always a mix, and I am older than you anyway, so you won't be the oldest!

See you at Heathrow.

Ray

brownowl
(Member)
'AELB' wrote:

Hi Julie

All the best

Mandy

Hi, I have booked the Canada trip in August, and your post has really helped. Just one thing, I have heard that it is quite expensive there, and I am wondering how much to take for meals etc. Did you pay for excursions with a card or currency?

Is dress just smart/ casual in the evenings? Thank yiu x

Dawn Howcroft
(Member)
'Julie wrote:

I am going to Canada on September 13th this year. I cannot wait to go. it has been extreamly useful to read these blogs. I was hoping for a bit more warmth than I read from this blog. my ward clothes are going to come out early, I'd brought summer bits to take with me LOL. Snow in September WOW. Lets have an amazing time.D

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi All

I went to Canada in September a couple of years ago on the Canadian Rockies & Vancouver trip. The weather was unseasonably warm for the duration - we didn't have snow or rain just a bit chilly first and last thing. So take layers and a fleece for the trip to the glacier.

Regards

Sylvia