Auntie D
(Member)
'Rosie9' wrote:

Hi, I did this trip in April. If you really want to go to Alcatraz it is better to prebook, It may be different in September, however when we went people who had not booked and waited until they got there could not get the times to fit in when they wanted to go. I prebooked the 9.10 am sailing. on the third day which was very busy, by the time we came off at lunch time alcatraz was heaving, My advise would be to prebook to make sure you can go. Our Tour Manager Kim was excellant she gave us advise on where to go times of transport etc if we needed any help we only neede to ask, I did not book any prebookable tours before I went, incase there were alternatives which may be better for me (except for Alatraz). I found this to be the better Option . This is a wonderful holiday nonstop once you are on it, enjoy your holiday whatever you may do.

Hello again, BristolBarb.

I must admit the only time I did a Grand Canyon trip was when my friend and I travelled independently.

I hope this gets published in spite of the following.

Diagonally across from the Stratosphere is an internet bar called Aztec. There used to be a booking booth on the left of the entrance to the bar. You can book all kinds of trips there. The Grand Canyon one we chose was an early morning helicopter flight which actually landed on the banks of the Colorado River for a champagne breakfast. However, I think I remember hearing that helicopters were no longer allowed to land there because of erosion, or something. It's well worth checking out.

Hope Julie doesn't delete me from posting because of this!!

Denise

:@:@:thumbup::thumbup:

BristolBarb
(Member)
Thanks very much to all you experienced travelers - it's great to get your info and such glowing reports of this tour - all adds to the growing excitement!

Very glad to see you haven't been banned Denise!

The only problem with booking Alcatraz before we go is the risk of being a sad loner from the group on the particular time you book! - So, Hi to all fellow travelers - have any of you booked Alcatraz already?

I'm going to book Universal Studios before we go - but reckon I'll hang fire on the other excursions on offer until we see how things pan out.

K4rlyb
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I'm looking to book this tour in the next few days really. I would go to Alcatraz with you and Universal Studios as well if you dont mind me tagging along?

Is it cheaper to book Universal with just for you?

Also what is the age range of the group please? I'm 28?

K4rlyb
  • (Member)
(Member)
Do we need Visa's does any one know?
Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
'K4rlyb' wrote:

Do we need Visa's does any one know?

British citizens dont need a visa for holidays in US if they are for less than 30 days but you do need a ESTA which is easy to do online and costs $14 (about £9) from the official site. It lasts for two years so dont have to renew for future trips.

Can get it here -

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ 

Mick

BristolBarb
(Member)
Hi Karly

You need an ESTA to travel to America - easy to apply for online.

Don't think it's cheaper to book Universal Studios with Just You - prob a bit more expensive than booking direct, but the advantage is you get dropped off and picked up rather than having to make your own arrangements. I'm booking before we go just so I don't have to take so many dollars on holiday. Trying to decide on the Grand Canyon too - so may decisions! Once we get our final travel documents, I think we get details of the exact itinerary so will know when we've got free time to plan Alcatraz.

The word from experienced travelers is there's a wide range of ages on these holidays from 20s to 80s with the majority in their 50s and 60s. I think there's about 30 of us in the group at the moment. I'm sure you'll be just fine - but if you want to know the specific mix on this particular trip send a message to Julia, the editor, and she'll let you know.

Cheers Barb

K4rlyb
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

Thanks Mick - I'll get that sorted.

Barb- I'm going to book the trip when I get home from work tonight. When you decide on Alcatraz if you wouldn't mind letting me know so I can book it as well?

Can you book the tours with JFY after you've booked the trip? or is it at the time of booking?

I'm fine with the mix of ages just wondered what the range was. I'm excited but scared all at the same time, its my first trip on my own, same as most.

Karly

BristolBarb
(Member)
Hi Karly

Glad you've decided to go for it! Like you say, it's the first time on our own for most of us - at least that's an opener for things we've got in common! You don't need to book the excursions when you book the holiday - you can book them until a week or so before we go - or while we're away if you can't decide, or want to see what others in the group are doing. Will certainly chat before booking Alcatraz - maybe we ought to start another thread specific to Alcatraz to see if anyone's booked already!

Cheers

Barb

K4rlyb
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Barb

Could I have your email address please so we can arrange Alcatraz? I have looked for a thread but can't seem to find one.

Also if anyone else wants to chat before hand I'll be happy to.........

BristolBarb
(Member)
Hi Karly

I've sent a message to Julia - via Ask Your Editor - about Alcatraz because looking at a thread for 16 Sept departure, they're having probs identifying free time for it! Hopefully we'll know more on Monday/Tuesday!

Only 3 weeks to go - sorting out dollars and weighing empty suitcases now!

K4rlyb
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Barb

Great thank you, hopefully there will be enough time.

Is anyone travelling from Essex? If so want to share a cab?

maureenm
(Member)
Hi everyone

Really looking forward to the trip, 🙂 my first time to America, I am staying at the Premier Inn Terminal 5 on the Sunday night, if anyone else is booked in there and would like to share a taxi to the airport, that would be good.

Maureen

K4rlyb
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Maureen

I'm not staying at the hotel but I would be happy to meet you at the airport prior to check in?

Karly

BristolBarb
(Member)
'K4rlyb' wrote:

Hi Barb

Great thank you, hopefully there will be enough time.

Is anyone travelling from Essex? If so want to share a cab?

Hi Karly

Hope you received the final travel stuff today? - didn't really tell us anything we don't already know, so I'm thinking of booking Alcatraz for 9.10 on day three - bit of an early start (think you have to be there 30 minutes before boat leaves), but will leave nice chunk of day free afterwards - and I'd really like to do the Muir Woods trip in the afternoon. No-one else on our tour has mentioned booking it yet from what I can see, but from earlier tours the 9.10 boat seems to be a popular choice, and I don't suppose we'll be sleeping very well!

Can't believe that this time in 2 weeks we'll be well on the way to San Francisco! This cold snap is a bit of a worry - was hoping to be vaguely summery arriving at Heathrow - not in full winter gear!

K4rlyb
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Karly

Hope you received the final travel stuff today? - didn't really tell us anything we don't already know, so I'm thinking of booking Alcatraz for 9.10 on day three - bit of an early start (think you have to be there 30 minutes before boat leaves), but will leave nice chunk of day free afterwards - and I'd really like to do the Muir Woods trip in the afternoon. No-one else on our tour has mentioned booking it yet from what I can see, but from earlier tours the 9.10 boat seems to be a popular choice, and I don't suppose we'll be sleeping very well!

Can't believe that this time in 2 weeks we'll be well on the way to San Francisco! This cold snap is a bit of a worry - was hoping to be vaguely summery arriving at Heathrow - not in full winter gear!

Hi Barb

Yes I got it yesterday. Ok I'll book it for day 3 thats 2nd Oct at 9.10? no problem being early, like you say we have the rest of the day free. I didn't know what Muir Woods was until I got my documents through yesterday, you should go if you want to see it. I've booked Universal Studios I'm unsure if any one else has booked it.

I know its come round really quick, but then I only booked at the end of August.

What time are you getting to Heathrow for?

BristolBarb
(Member)
Hi Karly

Yip, 2 October - booking via Alcatrazcruises.com - looks like we'll be doing a fair bit of fly swatting judging from the info on their site! Just as well the flies don't bite.

I've booked Universal Studios, and I'm sure plenty of others will have too if they've not done it before.

Info says we should arrive at Heathrow 3 hours before the flight, so I guess it'll be an 8.45 arrival. I'm staying in a hotel the night before so fortunately only a short hop - then it'll be luggage label spotting!

BristolBarb
(Member)
'maureenm' wrote:

Hi everyone

Really looking forward to the trip, 🙂 my first time to America, I am staying at the Premier Inn Terminal 5 on the Sunday night, if anyone else is booked in there and would like to share a taxi to the airport, that would be good.

Maureen

Hi Maureen

I'm staying at the Premier Inn at Terminal 5 on Sunday night, but I've already got my ticket for the hoppa bus to get me to the terminal - hadn't even considered taxis as an option I'm afraid. Still, I'll look out for you at the hotel to say hello!

Less than 2 weeks to go - really looking forward to meeting everyone - but dreading it at the same time - very strange feeling!!

maureenm
(Member)
'K4rlyb' wrote:

Hi Maureen

I'm not staying at the hotel but I would be happy to meet you at the airport prior to check in?

Karly

Hi Karly

I will probably get to the airport around 8.30ish, but I will look out for the Justyou labels hope we can catchup before check in

Maureen

maureenm
(Member)
'BristolBarb' wrote:

'maureenm' wrote:

Hi everyone

Maureen

Hi Maureen

I'm staying at the Premier Inn at Terminal 5 on Sunday night, but I've already got my ticket for the hoppa bus to get me to the terminal - hadn't even considered taxis as an option I'm afraid. Still, I'll look out for you at the hotel to say hello!

Hi Barb

I didn't know about the hoppy bus, I will look into it. Hopefully we can meet up in the hotel Sunday night to say hallo. Not long now 🙂

Less than 2 weeks to go - really looking forward to meeting everyone - but dreading it at the same time - very strange feeling!!

e 20 sue
(Member)
Hi i am not on this trip/ but have done the helicopter flight to Grand Canyon from Macaren Airport (not sure of spelling) twice it was AMAZING!! Also rafting from the bottom of the hoover dam so much to choose from!