SarahD1980
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi! Just found this site as I am hoping to go on my first solo holiday this year. I am frankly quite scared and was wondering how others had found it? Would you suggest going on the England breaks first or just going abroad straight away? Thanks 🙂
Angela Bingham
(Member)
'SarahD1980' wrote:

Hi! Just found this site as I am hoping to go on my first solo holiday this year. I am frankly quite scared and was wondering how others had found it? Would you suggest going on the England breaks first or just going abroad straight away? Thanks :-)

Hi Sarah. I did my first JY holiday last June, I went to Apulia. I figured that if I hated it 8days would not be too long! I actually had a wonderful time, I was very nervous but thinking about it is more scary than actually doing it! Good luck.

Ange

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Sarah

Welcome to JY if you go on the share your travel tips section you might. Find some useful information with questions you might have.

THERE is nothing to be scared about I have my 9th JY tour booked for May..I have done long haul and short haul trips..many people like to test the waters by going on a discovery weekend, these were not available when I started in 2006 I just went for it and my first JY tour was to USA.. It really is up to you..

I would suggest you have a good look at what is on offer and then wherever you have been led book it..they are great fun and you will have a good time away I am sure..

It's a very safe way to travel

Young and old mix in very well.

More ladies than men

You can be alone if you want to or need to if not just tag a Long with someone..

I have never had to eat a meal on my own.

Just great fun overall

If I can help with anything else just ask

Cindy

DavidG
  • (Member)
(Member)
I was in exactly the same position as you following my wife's death. I had always wanted to cruise down the Nile so just went for it! To totally reassure you, I have been on 8 further holidays with JY since.

Just go wherever you fancy, everybody else is in the situation as you and you will find everyone mixes well and you will have a great holiday.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah

When I first decided to travel on my own, I just took the plunge and booked the Jordan trip. Did not bother with 'England Weekends'. There is nothing to worry about when going with Just You as everything is taken care of. All you have to do is sit back and relax. Just pick a destination you always wanted to see and book it.

Regards

Jaya

philc2104
(Member)
'SarahD1980' wrote:

Hi! Just found this site as I am hoping to go on my first solo holiday this year. I am frankly quite scared and was wondering how others had found it? Would you suggest going on the England breaks first or just going abroad straight away? Thanks :-)

Hi Sarah. Did my first JY trip last year, America's Golden West. Travelled alone many times before, including US, independently. This was my first group tour and i loved it. Age groups can range from late 20's to 80+ and everyone mixed well. You can tag along with others or do your own thing (which i like to do sometimes).

Just booked my second JY trip on the Croatia Istrian Coast tour in June.

I say have a good look at the trips and just book the one you like the most and go for it!!

Ann C
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Sarah,

Like you, when I booked my first JY holiday I wasn't sure what to do for the best. I decided to book a coach trip (I wasn't sure about flying on my own). I took a short trip to Luxembourg which also had meals included in the hotel so we all sat together, which was another of my concerns. It was a good start. But it made me realise that you don't need to worry and should pick the holiday that appeals to you. I'm hoping to book the Vancouver and the Rockies tour next year, which is a big step for me!

Hope you get your holiday booked and enjoy it.

All the best,

Ann

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah,

Like many others I took the plunge and opted for a long haul holiday and didn't regret it, everything was great. So impressed I booked my 2nd JY holiday on my return.

I've now got my 9th & 10th trips booked and still not been on a UK break.

I'd say just go for it, I'm sure you wont be dissapointed.

Mick

michael1
(Member)
Hi Sarah

In my experience the most daunting part of these holidays is booking your first one, I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago so know exactly how you feel and dithered for ages! I've since been on 3 trips, met some lovely people and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

For my first trip, I personally picked one which was relatively short in both time and distance (7 days in Austria/Switzerland - "Heart of Alpine Europe") as I couldn't see the point of the introductory weekends (given you're unlikely to meet the same people on your next holiday) but equally didn't want to commit to a long haul on my first JY trip. One thing which you need to remember is that all of you on your chosen trip will all have one thing in common - you all want to visit that particular country.

So my advice is pick somewhere you really want to go to, take a deep breath and book it!!

Ann C - I did the Vancouver/Rockies trip last year. I rate this as one of my best holidays ever, the scenery is absolutely stunning and the optional extras truly make it a holiday to remember. If you book it you definitely won't regret it!

Michael.

Lavender
(Member)
Hi Sarah, where are you thinking of going? I have still to book myself on a trip yet, I was looking at Halkidiki or Bulgaria in September
Lavender
(Member)
Hi Sarah, where are you thinking of going? I have still to book myself on a trip yet, I was looking at Halkidiki or Bulgaria in September
Ann C
  • (Member)
(Member)
'michael1' wrote:

Hi Sarah

In my experience the most daunting part of these holidays is booking your first one, I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago so know exactly how you feel and dithered for ages! I've since been on 3 trips, met some lovely people and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

For my first trip, I personally picked one which was relatively short in both time and distance (7 days in Austria/Switzerland - "Heart of Alpine Europe") as I couldn't see the point of the introductory weekends (given you're unlikely to meet the same people on your next holiday) but equally didn't want to commit to a long haul on my first JY trip. One thing which you need to remember is that all of you on your chosen trip will all have one thing in common - you all want to visit that particular country.

So my advice is pick somewhere you really want to go to, take a deep breath and book it!!

Ann C - I did the Vancouver/Rockies trip last year. I rate this as one of my best holidays ever, the scenery is absolutely stunning and the optional extras truly make it a holiday to remember. If you book it you definitely won't regret it!

Michael.

Hello Michael,

Many thanks for the reply, it's good to know. I haven't seem many comments about this holiday on the forum. May I ask when you went? I was thinking of either May or September. I don't want to miss the ice ride!

Thanks again.

All the best.

Ann

michael1
(Member)
Hello Anne

I did this trip last June. The ice ride is a real experience and definitely not to be missed! I would also seriously recommend the helicopter flight over (part of) the Rockies - it lasts about 30 minutes - the Banff Gondola and the Capilano Suspension Bridge. The rafting is also great fun, but be prepared to get wet!

I think there's a few threads about this holiday on here, but anything else you want to know just ask.

Michael.

SusieB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah

Don't worry about a thing, JY really look after you well and you will never feel alone (unless you want to). I did my first JY trip last March to India and had a wonderful time. Right from meeting our tour manager at the airport I knew I'd done the right thing.

Just go and enjoy yourself, you will love it.

Sue

grahamf
(Member)
Hello all,

I'm GrahamF. After three horrible months since my wife died I'm desperate for a break and some sun. We used to travel extensively together and I just couldn't face returning to any old destination without her. That only seems to leave teneriffe as an option. Anyone any ideas?

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello graham and welcome

I am so sorry to hear you have had a horrid few months. I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

There are some great holidays to be had from travelling with JY near and far, and many people are in or have been in your situation, so you would not be alone. There must be a place that JY offer that you have not been to.

I have my 9th JY tour booked, I have travelled near and far, Austrian lakes, Tuscany, are nice it was very hot when I went to Tuscany, or how about one of the all inclusive tours if your not into mega full on sight seeing? I hope you can find something you like the look of.

Good luck

Cindy

oliveb
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah

I did a discovery weekend first and had a wonderful time. But really there's no need. I then did a 4 day trip to Prague and enjoyed every minute. I'm now looking at going to America. I know its all a bit daunting for the first time, but everyone is in the same situation - some, like you, will be doing it for the first time. You will have a wonderful time wherever you go. Go for it!

Best wishes Olive

Ann C
  • (Member)
(Member)
'michael1' wrote:

Hello Anne

I did this trip last June. The ice ride is a real experience and definitely not to be missed! I would also seriously recommend the helicopter flight over (part of) the Rockies - it lasts about 30 minutes - the Banff Gondola and the Capilano Suspension Bridge. The rafting is also great fun, but be prepared to get wet!

I think there's a few threads about this holiday on here, but anything else you want to know just ask.

Michael.

Thanks very much Michael, it's good to hear these things. I'll probably take you up on that nearer the time!

Kind regards

Ann

janetda
(Member)
Hi I went on my first JY holiday for Xmas and New Year. Like you, I was scared before I went, but by the time I went through security at the airport, I had already met up with 5 other ladies. Everyone on the trip was very friendly and you could mix as much or as little as you wanted. I would advise just go for the holiday that you prefer. You are well looked after at the airport for departure and arrival so going abroad is not a problem. My only concern now is trying to decide where to go next.:)
JustMargaret
(Member)
'SarahD1980' wrote:

Hello Sarah, Really no need to be scared, although we all are first time. I would recommend a discovery weekend as a taster. I have just booked my second JY holiday to Cilento Coast. I went to Andalucia last year, thoroughly enjoyed it and was so pleased I took the plunge. You won`t regret it. Good luck, Margaret