Hils
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi. I'd be grateful if anyone who has been on the Zambia extension could advise the best currency to take? American dollars or local currency?
janicek
(Member)
I used US Dollars, didn't find that I needed local currency at all. I did this trip last year, you're in for a real treat. Enjoy!

Janice

Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Janice. Thanks so much for coming back to me. This will be my 6th JY holiday and everyone I've spoken to who has been on the SA one says it's fantastic. Any hints on how to cut down on the packing situation?
janicek
(Member)
I'm terrible at packing and the luggage allowance is not good! I found the dress code to be casual, some ladies liked to get dressed up at night, personal choice really.

I had some laundry done at hotel in Hazyview before moving on to Zambia. Take old T shirts for safari, they get grubby and dusty, in fact I dumped a couple of mine.

Buy your souvenirs further north in SA rather than the more expensive shops in Capetown. It's good to support the locals selling their crafts.

If you are planning to visit the school in Knysna the teachers appreciate pens and paper.

If you love elephants as much as I do, go to the elephant safari in Zambia, highlight of my trip and bought the dvd as a reminder....expensive but worth it. Really, you will have a wonderful time. Tends to be early nights and early morning starts but not really the sort of place where you would want to be out and about after dark. Had dinner one evening at V&A waterfront, some lovely restaurants, just make sure to get taxi back to hotel from official taxi rank.

Bon Voyage,

Janice

Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Janice. Many thanks for the advice. I, also, am a great lover of eles and will definitely do the safari in Zambia - JY have given me the cost etc. Up until recently I sponsored an ele in Kenya. Can't wait now!