Karen S
  • (Newbie) (Topic Starter)
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Hi folks

Recently booked my trip to New Zealand and was wondering who my travelling companions might be.

This will be my second trip with Just You. I did Thailand last year and had an amazing time.  

I'm travelling up from Bristol, where I live, but originally from South Wales.

If anyone else booked on and fancy a chat, just say hello.

Regards

Karen

Bob Baillie
(Newbie)
Hi Karen 

I was on the Just You website this morning to sort out some details for a forthcoming trip and I noticed your message about the holiday in New Zealand in November.

I have signed up for the Australian Highlights trip with the New Zealand add-on so will meet up with folk for the New Zealand leg in Auckland.  From messages left on the community website there is definately at least one other person doing this Australia/New Zealand combination.  As I put on the Australia message board I will be the aged Scotsman on the holiday but not, you'll be pleased to know, wearing a kilt!!

Like you, this will be my second Just You holday

I travelled on the Just You USA Music Heritage trip in October 2022.  It was not only my first time travelling on a mature singles holiday (I was widowed in 2018) but also the first time I had been on an organised group tour and it was a great experience with one of the undoubted highlights being the great people on the tour.  I have recommended the trip - and Just You - to many people since and the company has won some customers on the back of these recommendations.

I'm sure things will be just as good when we are in New Zealand so I look forward to meeting you and the other members of the group in Auckland in Novmeber.

Best wishes

Bob B

Karen S
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Hi Bob

Nice to meet you! Australia and New Zealand! Jealous, apart from the spiders!! Always put me off Australia. Fingers crossed you steer clear of them. Saddens me to hear about the lack of kilt lol.

I look forward to catching up with you in Auckland. 

Karen

seeessgee
(Newbie)
Hello Karen

I will be travelling to New Zealand in November, after the Australian trip. Looking forward to meeting up with you.

Claire

seeessgee
(Newbie)
Hello Bob

Like you I will travelling to Australia and New Zealand in November. How was I mad enough to consider doing that on my own at my age! I'm sure Just You will look after us. I have been to Andalusia with them at Christmastime...a very positive experience.

It won't be long now, looking forward to meeting up soon.

Claire

Karen S
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Hi Claire

Great to meet you. I did Thailand last year with Just You and it was great experience.  Look forward to meeting up in New Zealand. I'm travelling from Bristol, though I'm Welsh. How about you?

Regards

Karen

MLB
  • (Newbie)
(Newbie)
Hi Karen and all

I won't be joining you for NZ in November because I did the tour in January this year. However, I loved it so much that I am doing it again in January 2025!

Looking at the itinerary on the website, the route around the South Island stage of the tour seems to have been reversed since I went. A couple of the hotels appear to have been removed, but the ones currently listed are all of the great standard. (Don't worry about packing a travel kettle - all the hotels have them)

You will all have an incredible time. The tour is full on but has a fantastic range of experiences and fabulous views. (It ranks in my top 3 Just You tours and I've been lucky to have done quite a few over the last 15 years)

My tips would be:

• Definitely go for the helicopter ride to Mount Tarawera if you can. Several of our group who opted for the float plane option said they were quite jealous because we got to land on the volcano (with a brilliant guide from lovely team at Volcanic Air) while they flew over it, watching us!.

• Similarly, the 'Grand Traverse' scenic flight over Lake Tekapo and Mount Cook is worth every penny - an absolute highlight of the trip for me.

• It's not on the official itinerary but, if you are still staying at Franz Josef overnight, there is a small wildlife conservation centre, a 2 minute walk from the hotel, which has a lovely kiwi habitat. It's wonderful to see these very precious little birds up so close. From memory, I think entry was about £15.

• On your free day in Wellington, don't miss the Gallipolli exhibition at the Te Papa National Museum. It was created with the Weta Workshop (who worked on the Lord of the Rings movies) and is very moving. It is also possible to book a tour to the Weta Workshop itself but you will need to do that online before you go because they book up months in advance.

• If you do the Dart River Jet Boat safari (the longer of the two jet boat excursions), take a towel and something warm to put on at the end of it because the bus journey back to town is nearly an hour long and although the boat ride is exhilarating and the views beautiful, you will be wet and cold at the end of it! (You may also want to pack a waterproof pouch to hang your camera/phone around your neck in)

• In Queenstown, the Walter Peak dinner cruise is an absolute must - the buffet at the Colonel's Homestead is probably the best meal of the tour.

• Speaking of food, New Zealand has a 'cabinet culture' and everywhere you go you will find excellent, freshly made filled baps and cakes in chiller cabinets for lunches etc. (I became addicted to the 'Ginger Slice' while a number of my fellow travellers got hooked on the NZ 'Afghan Biscuit'.) They are also very big on hot pies of every conceivable variety. If like me you are 'fond' of chocolate, you will soon discover Whittakers and your friends will love you for ever if you bring them back a 'slab' of its Fruit and Nut as a souvenir :-)

Have an amazing time and, if you have any questions before you go, I'd be happy to try and help.

All the best

Mandy

Karen S
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for all the great tips!!!

Karen

Karen S
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for all the great tips!!!

Karen